Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Spark with DJI Goggles: Which features are supported?

Matthew Alpert

Join
Mar 13, 2021
I know you need an OTG Cable and the latest firmware, but once that's all set, what exactly is supported?

1. Head Tracking Gimbal:
    I've read that this is supported on the Spark, but only looking up and down. Is that correct?

2. Head Tracking Flight:
    The goggle's manual suggests this is supported, but how exactly does it work on the Spark? With the more expensive DJI drones, I believe looking up and down will pitch the gimbal and looking a little to the left or right will cause the drone to continuously yaw until you point your head forward again. Is that how it works with the Spark?

3. The Mode I Actually Want (TM):
    Looking up and down pitches the camera gimbal and looking left and right yaws the drone the same amount that you turned your head, basically directly substituting gimbal yaw with drone yaw. Is this possible?

4. Split video monitoring:
    I've read that there are tricks to be able to view the live feed on both the goggles and the phone. But I imagine there's no way to do that while still allowing the goggles to control the Spark, right?

5. Mavic Mini?
    My understanding is the Mavic Mini has replaced the Spark in DJI's product line. But it looks like it's not compatible. Has that changed?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been reading the Internet and these forums trying to get a complete understanding of what's possible when using a Spark with the DJI Goggles, but there's always some information left out or the occasional contradiction, so here we are.

Last edited:
I know you need an OTG Cable and the latest firmware, but once that's all set, what exactly is supported?

1. Head Tracking Gimbal:
    I've read that this is supported on the Spark, but only looking up and down. Is that correct?

2. Head Tracking Flight:
    The goggle's manual suggests this is supported, but how exactly does it work on the Spark? With the more expensive DJI drones, I believe looking up and down will pitch the gimbal and looking a little to the left or right will cause the drone to continuously yaw until you point your head forward again. Is that how it works with the Spark?

3. The Mode I Actually Want (TM):
    Looking up and down pitches the camera gimbal and looking left and right yaws the drone the same amount that you turned your head, basically directly substituting gimbal yaw with drone yaw. Is this possible?

4. Split video monitoring:
    I've read that there are tricks to be able to view the live feed on both the goggles and the phone. But I imagine there's no way to do that while still allowing the goggles to control the Spark, right?

5. Mavic Mini?
    My understanding is the Mavic Mini has replaced the Spark in DJI's product line. But it looks like it's not compatible. Has that changed?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've been reading the Internet and these forums trying to get a complete understanding of what's possible when using a Spark with the DJI Goggles, but there's always some information left out or the occasional contradiction, so here we are.
To 1, Yes only up and down gimbal. 2. Head tacking does work with Spark and goggles. It controls direction it flies. 3. No yaw control. Just up and down. 4. Don't know about split video, not an apparent option. 5. No it does not work with mavic mini, mini 2 or A2. I can use goggles with my smart controller as it has hdmi output. I use the yuneec goggles with it and use DJI goggle with the spark. The spark gets connected directly to DJI goggles via cable but then you lose the wifi video to phone. I don't even turn on the phone if using the goggles. The view in goggles is different than view on phone app. You don't have direct GPS maps but you do have a GPS display to show the drone in relationship to goggles.
The DJI Goggles fit my head funny, I removed the little pad on the top by removing two little screws and now they fit better. I enjoy the goggles. They are fun and give a different perspective.

To 1, Yes only up and down gimbal. 2. Head tacking does work with Spark and goggles. It controls direction it flies. 3. No yaw control. Just up and down. 4. Don't know about split video, not an apparent option. 5. No it does not work with mavic mini, mini 2 or A2. I can use goggles with my smart controller as it has hdmi output. I use the yuneec goggles with it and use DJI goggle with the spark. The spark gets connected directly to DJI goggles via cable but then you lose the wifi video to phone. I don't even turn on the phone if using the goggles. The view in goggles is different than view on phone app. You don't have direct GPS maps but you do have a GPS display to show the drone in relationship to goggles.
The DJI Goggles fit my head funny, I removed the little pad on the top by removing two little screws and now they fit better. I enjoy the goggles. They are fun and give a different perspective.
It's been almost three years since I flew my Spark. I've got an old DJI Goggles RE and never tried them with the Spark, I'll have to give it a try.

Besides the DJI Goggles, are there any FPV goggles which work well with a Spark? Just asking for a friend, most likely will never go that way, too nervous :)

Besides the DJI Goggles, are there any FPV goggles which work well with a Spark? Just asking for a friend, most likely will never go that way, too nervous :)

Yes, cable connection to the Spark, just like the DJI white or RE goggles.

I recall someone using the yuneec fpv goggles with cable connection.
Not sure what latency is like, probably bearable.

I think models like these should be ok

Hope the link works ok for you should do being a .au eBay site.

Personally, I’d look for a 2nd hand original DJI white or RE edition (black) goggles if possible, but with a simple hdmi to micro USB adapter, then your normal connection cable to phone, it should work with any hdmi output goggles headset.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme