Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Stuck in atti mode.

graywoulf

Endeavor to Persevere
Premium Pilot
Join
Mar 30, 2018
Loc
NC
Well I brushed off the dust on my Spark and charged my batteries and took my Spark out for the first time in a long while. Before I flew it, I installed the latest update to my iPad Mini 4. I did not update the Go4 app at that time because I was losing daylight. I set up the controller which I also charged and my iPad Mini 4 and flew my Spark indoors briefly to check things out. I did not expect to acquire any GPS connections indoors and all went well in atti mode.

So I take it all outside to my driveway where I have launched from many times and fire it all up and I am still in atti mode. BTW, I was using my OTG cable as there is a lot of WiFi going on in my neighborhood. I checked all of the settings but could not gain any GPS connections. Oh yeah, I did not calibrate anything beforehand either. And I have since then updated the Go4 app

Like I said, I have not flown in a while so I am a bit rusty at this so I need some advice please.

I would do a compass calibration and also do the IMU cal too., I recall your house is near some electrical stuff too, head out to someplace really open and away from metal...
I was thinking the same thing. I did complete all of the updates to everything including the Spark's firmware. After all of that, I took it outside and got the same results so I will take the "Sparkmaster" out for a ride tomorrow to find a place away from everything and do both of those calibrations. I will post the results here tomorrow.

Even in atti mode, I had fun flying it today. I used up two batteries and was LOS most of the time. I didn't fly far but it was as steady as if it had 15 sats locked in. It felt good to see it in the air again. I wish I could use it to get my Parrot Swing drone out of the tree it's stuck in but I am not going to even try that rescue.

Graywoulf said..

"I wish I could use it to get my Parrot Swing drone out of the tree it's stuck in but I am not going to even try that rescue"

could you hang a hook from Sparky?.

Graywoulf said.. "I wish I could use it to get my Parrot Swing drone out of the tree it's stuck in but I am not going to even try that rescue" could you hang a hook from Sparky?.
I wish it could be that easy. The toy drone struck a utility line that runs across the middle of a large old cedar tree and fell straight down. The lines are about two feet above the tree so it would be very risky. I can replace the Parrot Swing drone cheaply. If my Spark were to land in the top of that tree.... all I can say is "Timberrrrrrrr"! ?

Reactions: I B Spectre
I would do a compass calibration and also do the IMU cal too., I recall your house is near some electrical stuff too, head out to someplace really open and away from metal...
Well, I took the Spark to a park near the local lake today and did the IMU and compass calibrations and still not picking up any GPS sats. I flew it anyway in Atti mode and it was steady as if it had a GPS lock at first then all of a sudden, I get a voice prompt of "Atti Mode" and then the Spark was no longer stable and flew like a regular drone. This was after I got some distance from where I was standing. Then I turned it around and flew back towards me and it got stable again. I had no telemetry feedback other than the battery level but the compass on the app was working just fine. I have to figure this out. ?

Hmm. I think there's something wrong with your poor spark's gps receiver.

**UPDATE... Problem solved AND lesson learned.

I had placed a decal I made on top of my Spark. That doesn't sound bad in itself BUT, it was a reflective decal and it has a metallic layer that creates the reflective effect. I found some information on the DJI Spark forum that led me to that solution. I didn't think of that when I applied that decal. So, the moral of the story is.... Don't use reflective vinyl on top of your Spark! :rolleyes: ?

Now I need a roll of quarters for the butt kicking machine. ;)

I am glad it was a simple fix. I had an "aha!" moment on that one last night. I did do a brief flight last night (first night flight) and it acquired 12 sats right off. I flew straight up, did a 360 and landed. Now I see why others add strobes to their Sparks. All went well with the test flight but I have been too busy around the house to fly today. Maybe tomorrow, weather permitting.

I wonder if I should do another post that is just a warning about reflective decals?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502