Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Surfing with the Spark

Nice job.
The only surfing I do is on the internet.
Although I did use to ride a Kawasaki Jet Ski (standup watercraft).

Reactions: Zeljkobn
For having been surfing for only two weeks, you are pretty good at it....Just kidding.

Good start to your videography pursuit. Most importantly, enjoy it, and study others on YT. Many call their vids 'cinematic', and some genuinely are.

From a constructive criticism perspective, do you want to be in the video? If not, find somewhere else to stand. There were a couple of scenes where the surfer appeared to be choppy on video, try to get a shutter speed at twice the Spark FPS of 30, so 60, you may need nd filters to get there. this will give motion blur to eliminate the choppiness.

Spark is a good drone; however, panning is not particularly smooth with the Spark as it only has a two axis gimbal. Keep that in mind.

I enjoyed the video.

Reactions: smashitup11
For having been surfing for only two weeks, you are pretty good at it....Just kidding.

Good start to your videography pursuit. Most importantly, enjoy it, and study others on YT. Many call their vids 'cinematic', and some genuinely are.

From a constructive criticism perspective, do you want to be in the video? If not, find somewhere else to stand. There were a couple of scenes where the surfer appeared to be choppy on video, try to get a shutter speed at twice the Spark FPS of 30, so 60, you may need nd filters to get there. this will give motion blur to eliminate the choppiness.

Spark is a good drone; however, panning is not particularly smooth with the Spark as it only has a two axis gimbal. Keep that in mind.

I enjoyed the video.

Thank you I really appreciate your advice! I just bought some filters today and tried them in the same spot with similar conditions and it helped a lot. I am thinking about getting the Mavic Air as a next drone if I do decide to get more dedicated which I think I will. Id love to here any more suggestions you have!
Thanks again!

Thank you I really appreciate your advice! I just bought some filters today and tried them in the same spot with similar conditions and it helped a lot. I am thinking about getting the Mavic Air as a next drone if I do decide to get more dedicated which I think I will. Id love to here any more suggestions you have!
Thanks again!
YW
You might find these and others helpful

One thing you'll notice when in tripod mode is that the gimbal tilts extremely slooooowly. A work around is to not be in Tripod mode, rather be in regular P (position mode), and reduce the stick sensitivity slider from 'fast' toward 'slow'. It's in the app. Doing so can reduce top speed from 6.5 mph with obstacle avoidance switched on all the way to Tripod' 2.2 mph, (depends on where you position the slider) and yet retain the P mode gimbal rate.

Regarding the Mavic Air, it is still wi-fi. Consider a used Mavic Pro. It's a much better drone, and used units are comparably priced to a new mavic air. If you choose to look at MP, look to see how many times the battery has been charged. I have two MP (long story), and each had less than three battery charges. Many people buy a drone, then give it up before giving it a chance.

Even though I have the MP, I still fly the Spark. To me, it's only shortcomings are the YAW (panning), and occasional camera shake. No drone is perfect, and you can get caught up in a lot of money spent when if you just keep your moves simple, get the right light, etc... you can create remarkable cinematography with just the Spark.

Reactions: Koala Tails

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast