Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The End is near?

Thanks for the reply.
You should post a couple of your spark panoramic shots, to show us all how good a panoramic pic could look if you new what you where doing.

With reference to FPV flying. How long do you really get in the air on a single battery / charge. When I looked at fpv drones in the past they only lasted like 4 to 5 mins. So you needed a truck full of batteries just to have a quick blast for an hour.

Was DJI going to bring out a racing drone ?
Do we know if this is still happening and if so when?

It would be good if you could upgrade / unlock the spark to make it into a FPV racer / free style drone ( all the safety bits turned off which stop you from crashing) I know it wouldn’t be as fast, but it would be a great little learner drone to get started with (we would need to protect the gimbal and camera thought).

Idea / thinking out loud.
For the people who are now out of warrentee they could offer a conversion kit. So you or dji could strip your spark down and pop all the reusable bits into a new lightweight frame. You could reuse the main board,motors and possibly the camera and battery.

Just another thought it would also be good if you / dji could convert the sparks 2 axis gimbal into a three axis gimbal. DJI could even offer a scheme to do it for you and offer a new Warrantee. This would also give the spark a second new lease of life.

It cannot be that hard to do it surly, as it’s already been done on the Mavic Air. I wonder if you could just swap out the sparks 2 axis gambol and replace it with the gimbal from the Mavic Air. How much would it cost to do? (Cheaper than a new drone).

I guess even if it was possible to do, you would also need some additional programming in the dji go 4 app to allow you to control the 3rd axis. I think it could be done by pressing / holding down one of the programmable buttons while you use the scroll wheel. Alternatively instead of using the scroll wheel you could use the left control stick.

Let’s hope dji are looking in on this post and could offer this or something like this in the near future before the spark is discontinued.

Another thing dji could do is offer a discount for people who purchased the spark and now want the buy a Mavic Air.

I remember when Apple offered a large discount when you traded in your old iPhone 2g for the new iPhone 3g. This reward was given to customers as a way of thanking them for trying the very first Apple iPhone .

If DJI offered something like Apple did to all of there spark owners. This reward would make a lot of spark owners a lot happier and feel less ripped off by dji.

To make things worse and to rub salt into the wounds, dji have now dropped the price of the spark (white $399 and other colours $499). This drop in price by dji and with the market being flooded at the moment with second hand deals, our second hand sparks are now worthless. It would go along way to building some bridges.

Sorry for the rant on and hijacking the post .

Thanks for the reply.
You should post a couple of your spark panoramic shots, to show us all how good a panoramic pic could look if you new what you where doing.

With reference to FPV flying. How long do you really get in the air on a single battery / charge. When I looked at fpv drones in the past they only lasted like 4 to 5 mins. So you needed a truck full of batteries just to have a quick blast for an hour.

It would be good if you could upgrade / unlock the spark to make it into a FPV racer / free style drone ( all the safety bits turned off which stop you from crashing) I know it wouldn’t be as fast, but it would be a great little learner drone to get started with (we would need to protect the gimbal and camera thought).

For the people who are now out of warrentee they could offer a conversion kit. So you or dji could strip your spark down and pop all the reusable bits into a new lightweight frame. You could reuse the main board,motors and possibly the camera and battery.

Just another thought it would also be good if you / dji could convert the sparks 2 axis gimbal into a three axis gimbal. DJI could even offer a scheme to do it for you and offer a new Warrantee. This would also give the spark a second new lease of life.

It cannot be that hard to do it surly, as it’s already been done on the Mavic Air. I wonder if you could just swap out the sparks 2 axis gambol and replace it with the gimbal from the Mavic Air. How much would it cost to do? (Cheaper than a new drone).

I guess even if it was possible to do, you would also need some additional programming in the dji go 4 app to allow you to control the 3rd axis. I think it could be done by pressing / holding down one of the programmable buttons while you use the scroll wheel. Alternatively instead of using the scroll wheel you could use the left control stick.

Let’s hope dji are looking in on this post and could offer this or something like this in the near future before the spark is discontinued.

Another thing dji could do is offer a discount for people who purchased the spark and now want the buy a Mavic Air.

I remember when Apple offered a large discount when you traded in your old iPhone 2g for the new iPhone 3g. This reward was given to customers as a way of thanking them for trying the very first Apple iPhone .

If DJI offered something like Apple did to all of there spark owners. This reward would make a lot of spark owners a lot happier and feel less ripped off by dji.

To make things worse and to rub salt into the wounds, dji have now dropped the price of the spark (white $399 and other colours $499). This drop in price by dji and with the market being flooded at the moment with second hand deals, our second hand sparks are now worthless. It would go along way to building some bridges.

Why would they do that though? They haven’t done anything new. This is what companies do. New products come out all the time.... If people are upset because their drone is discontinued or replaced, then they’re going to be consistently upset year on year.

The Spark still does what it did when we bought it. We were happy to pay x amount for what it did then.

Alpine white fly more has been marked ''D'' for discontinued at Micro center since before 12-15-17, and its been on sale for $399 since December 1st,(fly more combo, yes!!), and still ''in store'' for $399.. all other colors fly more pkg's just dropped to $499 on Feb 1st... they are purging.....
I bought a Spark Fly More yesterday, at Microcenter... It was $499

Just addressing the FPV drone comment;

Flying an FPV drone is intense. It moves SO fast, requires so much concentration and focus you can only fly for a short period. With a FPV drone you are constantly moving the sticks, there is no GPS, there is no VPS, there is no taking your hands off the sticks and letting it hover. Think of it this way. Flying an FPV drone is like running the 100 yard dash. Flying an AP drone is like running a marathon.

The first time I flew an FPV drone, I was completely spent after only two packs, yeah ~10 minutes of flight.

Today when I go practice I only bring 6 packs and I spend/use those in about an hour And when I'm done, I'm done, its pretty intense...

Thanks for the reply.

Huh, it must be true if its on the internet....
DJI is not going to abandon an entry level drone at an entry level price. Maybe one day there will be a successor to the Spark, but it sure isn’t the Mavic Air...

I agree. Morevoer, the Spark appeal is increased by the fact that is so light it takes really few adaptations to bing it down to 300 grams, which is a major legal boundary here in Italy: up to 300 grams one just needs to register with ENAC (our local FAA) and is able to fly also in urban area, whereas a drone weighing more than 300 grams requires expensive courses and exams (around 2000 euros total) and a lot of hassle when flying in urban areas such as having to place barriers in order to cover a buffer area of 5 meters from the drone (that makes a diameter of 10 meters if you just want to make it go up vertically and then land there, if you want to move it around that area will grow larger and larger), which in turn requires an authorisation by the local police, and also factor in a flight-termination device, a parachute and a tethering wire, all obligatory with a drone as a Phantom 4, while with a Mavic you just don't need the wire and all the rest remains mandatory.
With the lightened Spark I only need to wear my "APR* pilot" jacket, have my ENAC documents and insurance with me and fly
The hassles for drones over 300 and upto 2 or 2.5 kilograms will be remarkably reduced when the new european rules take foot, things will become almost as easy as for the Spark, but that won't happen before 2020 or 2021 and my Mavic will then be obsolete... Unluckily the new rule will bring the "inoffensive" weight limit down to 250 grams, but in 2-3 years I'm positive there will be something even better than the Spark with an even lower weight, and it could be from DJI itself: when a full continent says 250 grams, the industry will offer many drones under that weight

* APR: Aeromobile a Pilotaggio Remoto, remotely piloted aircraft

I bought a Spark Fly More yesterday, at Microcenter... It was $499
You should of pick the white one, its $399 for fly more white and $499 for other colors.....take it back and get the white and save a hundo....you can get a new lid in any color for $10 and change it later... either way, its a fun little machine, I have a couple of the white ones and dig em..good luck..

Alpine white fly more has been marked ''D'' for discontinued at Micro center since before 12-15-17, and its been on sale for $399 since December 1st,(fly more combo, yes!!), and still ''in store'' for $399.. all other colors fly more pkg's just dropped to $499 on Feb 1st... they are purging.....

I just came back from Microcenter by me. They've fully restocked white fly more combos and they're all marked $599. image1.jpeg

I just ordered the Fly More package. Have a old Phantom II that is a PITA to travel with. I got it through B and H Photo ($582.15) and they said they have good supply of them

I don't think the Spark will raise as many eyebrows as the Phantom did when I cross into Canada.

I just came back from Microcenter by me. They've fully restocked white fly more combos and they're all marked $599. View attachment 3375
yep, but they ring up $399 at checkout..you didn't buy one...they all show 599 but white rings up @ 399 and colors @499...get in there and buy one, youll see....

yep, but they ring up $399 at checkout..you didn't buy one...they all show 599 but white rings up @ 399 and colors @499...get in there and buy one, youll see....

I believe you, sorry I wasn’t clear, I was making the point that despite the OP article, Microcenter seems to be actively buying more stock, not just trying to burn through the rest of their inventory to get rid of them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard