Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The pond is freezing

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
Hey all, hope you are doing well.

Weather has been really uncooperative lately, but on the 19th Nov it calmed enough and produced a little sun, enough for me to check out the MA2 in colder temps. Last winter there was an issue with the gimbal getting sticky in the colder sub 32f/0c degree weather. So far, this year, that's not the case... time will tell. It was about 2 degrees (C) when I flew this one. No ND filters on this either.

Pond ice reminds me of some moths/butterfly shapes I've seen.

Enjoy

Lovely calming film-perfect as I digest my evening meal!! How far away from you was your MA2 at it’s most distanced? Sure looks like a butterfly but with its own beauty. Getting to know your sparsely populated area and wish we had some of that here.

Lovely calming film-perfect as I digest my evening meal!! How far away from you was your MA2 at it’s most distanced? Sure looks like a butterfly but with its own beauty. Getting to know your sparsely populated area and wish we had some of that here.
Just far enough that I could still see the strobe lights on it. ;) I went out again today, and explored some of the ground around the back... now that the leaves are gone, its easier to see whats what. In the 15 years we've been here (almost) I have yet to cover all the ground on foot... (Or ATV actually).

Reactions: twickers14
Looks like winter is coming! Thanks for sharing, Robin.
Ya, its actually nice we have not been pounded with snow so far... but the nights are getting down into the low 20s (f) and soon will dip much deeper.

Reactions: SoccerRef12
Just far enough that I could still see the strobe lights on it. ;) I went out again today, and explored some of the ground around the back... now that the leaves are gone, its easier to see whats what. In the 15 years we've been here (almost) I have yet to cover all the ground on foot... (Or ATV actually).
Knew you’d have it in sight but was wondering if you had a handle on furthest distance because my eyes need my driving glasses to keep sight on my MA2 and am hovering on whether to buy strobes to help see it further out. ATV?

Knew you’d have it in sight but was wondering if you had a handle on furthest distance because my eyes need my driving glasses to keep sight on my MA2 and am hovering on whether to buy strobes to help see it further out. ATV?
ATV = All Terrain Vehicle aka Quad, four wheeler...

Around 600m its hard to see the strobes anymore in daylight, at dusk its easier of course. I use Firehouse Arc2 strobes (red and also white), and have 4 of them on the bird. They are attached with 3d printed holders on each arm, I velcro one on top as well, and with the bottom LED, its quite a light show. And I often use the wife as my spotter.

ATV = All Terrain Vehicle aka Quad, four wheeler...

Around 600m its hard to see the strobes anymore in daylight, at dusk its easier of course. I use Firehouse Arc2 strobes (red and also white), and have 4 of them on the bird. They are attached with 3d printed holders on each arm, I velcro one on top as well, and with the bottom LED, its quite a light show. And I often use the wife as my spotter.
Thanks for this. My furthest distance (not overal flight distance) is 324 mtrs and against a blue sky it became very tricky to see it. I use the little drone locator bottom left (no map in this view I think) to make sure I know where it is. All a bit hit and miss and strobes I guess will help. I have been flying with prop guards too but pretty happy to leave these off if strobes fitted. 3D printing sounds great. I have a relative who does that for a living-did you use a pattern?

Thanks for this. My furthest distance (not overal flight distance) is 324 mtrs and against a blue sky it became very tricky to see it. I use the little drone locator bottom left (no map in this view I think) to make sure I know where it is. All a bit hit and miss and strobes I guess will help. I have been flying with prop guards too but pretty happy to leave these off if strobes fitted. 3D printing sounds great. I have a relative who does that for a living-did you use a pattern?
I found the mounts for the Air2 online through another site in the US, I dont have access to any 3d printing anywhere around me. I would ditch the prop guards as they invite wind interference. Just dont fly close to things and its all good. I have never ever used them and never cracked up the Spark or the Air2. Are you flying the MA2 now?

I found the mounts for the Air2 online through another site in the US, I dont have access to any 3d printing anywhere around me. I would ditch the prop guards as they invite wind interference. Just dont fly close to things and its all good. I have never ever used them and never cracked up the Spark or the Air2. Are you flying the MA2 now?
OK thanks. Will have a search over here. By chance we are planning on seeing my 3D printing friend today so will ask. Get your point completely re guards-they just give me extra confidence overall and as we live in a city and that’s where I tend to fly most I just feel, if I lose control of the drone (for whatever reason), a prop guard might protect a passer by more that a straight prop chop. They’re easy to get off of course and (with my MA2 which I now fly all the time) my first few flights were without. No logic!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme