Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The Spark takes on the Steel Stacks in Bethlehem, PA

You're right joeke3el, it is eerie to see. We have similar steel mills that just sit there now from an era gone by. Fantastic flying and great post work. Appreciate your work and letting us share in it. Nice.

Reactions: joeke3el
Funny. That steel plant was made from steel from another steel plant.

Any glimpses of magnetic or compass errors flying around the structures?

Thanks for sharing.

churning out raw material
also required anthracite coal and mining was in decline from about 1960 onwards ...transported on rail cars like those in the Reading Railroad. The 1959 Knox mine disaster flooded the Scranton area mines.

My father's family apartment in the Hazleton area at that time burned coal for heat... delivered a ton at a time by truck.
I took the Lackawanna coal mine your a few years back. At 300 feet down several more flooded coal mine layers exist at deeper depths than the 300 foot mine the tour uses.

No place for the DJI Spark and in the days of mining the mine gas (methane) and electronics were a dangerous mix.

Last edited:
Another great expose'. Great choice of sound track in supporting the theme. The b&w, aged film effects in the opening and closing footage were used to good effect. What editing software do you use?

Did you have any connection issues? I’ve always wanted to fly there. I have heard of other people having connection issues flying in this area. How far out did you fly?

Watched this without reading all the comments and thought, cripes what about metal, magnets etc? Lovely gentle treatment of a brutal site, fab movie.

Any glimpses of magnetic or compass errors flying around the structures?

I was very worried about that but having seen others post videos of the structure I figured I'd be ok. No issues to report, as a precaution I did calibrate before each flight though. (there were four flights to make this video) Thank you for watching it!

Reactions: Spark 317
Did you have any connection issues?
How far out did you fly?

No connection issues but I do use a modified controller using the ARGtek antennas. They are fairly large and offer greater range than stock. I have a review out on those on my YouTube channel.

The furthest I flew was 1999 feet when close by to the structures and 3564 feet for the final shot as I flew away from the area and climbed to 400 feet. I was nervous about all that metal but came away without any incidents. Thanks for watching!

Watched this without reading all the comments and thought, cripes what about metal, magnets etc? Lovely gentle treatment of a brutal site, fab movie.

Thanks for watching. As I'm sure you may have already read in my other replies, no issues with all that metal. I was nervous about it, but watched other YouTube videos with successful flights so I went for it. No warnings or issues at all.

Opened in 1904, closed in 2001, this steel plant was the second largest producer and the first in ship production. Today the stacks still stand proud in an eerie fashion. They are truly awesome structures to be near.

Imagine your a metal scraper, the town gave you permission to scrap as much as you want...I hear the $$ amount per pound is at an all time high.... but geographically speaking....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe