Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

This isn't pretty but was requested...Active Track Speed Testing numbers :)

Mr Geek

Join
Jan 2, 2019
This video is from the DJI Spark following my Jeep with the DJI Go overlay showing drone speed. It was created in response to questions I received about Active Track Follow Mode speeds reached in a previous "Follow Mode" video I posted HERE. I also include a short introduction regarding Dynamic Home Points in Off Road settings based on an actual near Spark "loss" I had with my drone when using Active Track in rugged terrain.

See video below:

This video is from the DJI Spark following my Jeep with the DJI Go overlay showing drone speed. It was created in response to questions I received about Active Track Follow Mode speeds reached in a previous "Follow Mode" video I posted HERE. I also include a short introduction regarding Dynamic Home Points in Off Road settings based on an actual near Spark "loss" I had with my drone when using Active Track in rugged terrain.

See video below:
Quite surprised the speed the spark went going backwards.

Reactions: pmshop and Arabak58
Excellent demonstration and tutorial video. Quite informative.

Wow. . after reading the title of this post I expected MUCH less. . .this is an excellent Active Trak Follow-mode tutorial. . .well done Mr. Geek!

I agree with all the guys here. Well done demo
and useful informations.
Thanks to share with us.

An excellent demo of how Spark can track something and it really looks good. Thank you for this. If only we had the Badlands in the UK!

Great video! I haven’t used Active Track while in a vehicle, but have tried it on my bike (pedal power), and Nordic skiiing with mixed results - often it lost track. I use AutoPilot more for this and have found it much more reliable. It has multiple ways to track but I have it track the controller and it has been very reliable. Also, the home point is dynamic (where the controller is or was last).

Chris

Reactions: Stanlee
Great video! I haven’t used Active Track while in a vehicle, but have tried it on my bike (pedal power), and Nordic skiiing with mixed results - often it lost track. I use AutoPilot more for this and have found it much more reliable. It has multiple ways to track but I have it track the controller and it has been very reliable. Also, the home point is dynamic (where the controller is or was last).

Chris
Thanks! I really appreciate the heads up on how you are using your Spark and letting me know about the AutoPilot app. That was my first choice, to use the controller for the Spark to follow when using Active Track as well as when setting dynamic RTH points, but I didn't see any DJI stock option for that and AutoPilot app doesn't seem to be available for Android. Even if this functionality was available, in terrain that is shown at the start of my video, I would still feel so much more confident retrieving my Spark during out-of-sight RTH operations by using one single point, a point absolutely known by Spark and visited/seen by me, as with the point of take off or a single point that I manually update myself from time to time using DJI Go while flying. After i saw my Spark turn and fly out of sight to land at some unknown location for RTH, followed by losing communication with a frozen B&W image on my phone, I have since preferred not to depend on dynamic home points with locations I have not physically seen or occupied. It certainly is an enjoyable challenge how best to confidentiality use Active Track and manage dynamically setting RTH points :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gavieboydgi
I have continued to test and use Active Track/Follow in a variety of situations. My latest has been having the Spark Follow me while I kayak. I find DJIs Active Track works better following me in a kayak than if I am biking or hiking a trail, but it still looses the target (me) sometimes.

AutoPilot on the other hand is rock solid. It has never lost track of me while kayaking, biking, hiking or snowmobiling and can be adjusted on the fly easily. Also, AutoPilot has dynamic home point (although have not tried it to see if it works as described). Last week I was kayaking and had hand launched my Spark from my Kayak and used DJI GO4s Active Track while I went for a short kayak ride. When I tried to land while in the kayak the Spark didn't like it and went into low battery RTH (the home point was a few metres out from where I was). I was able to cancel RTH and get out of the kayak (in shallow water) and land it in my hand. I am going to try to test the dynamic RTH feature in AutoPilot once the weather gets better again.

One of the caveats of AutoPilot is that the beta dashboard (similar to GO4s) is the only way you can adjust camera settings. You cannot adjust camera settings in the classic dashboard in AutoPilot. Since the beta dashboard is more buggy and can crash sometimes, I usually just launch in the beta dashboard, adjust my camera settings then switch to the classic dashboard to run the Follow mission.

One other thing - AutoPilot has not been updated in quite sometime. It seems like Hangar is stopping development of it and letting it die, so if I was considering an alternative to DJI GO4, I wouldn't purchase it at this time which is a shame because it is an amazing piece of software which provides features that no other software currently does.

Chris

Very very helpful. My video will be of a power boat and dynamic home points will be catastrophic ?. All landings on a boat are manual. Your video is awesome. Thanks. I’ll share when I take my video.

See video below:
Thank you for this video. very informative.
Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef