Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

To landing gear? or not to landing gear?

Until it takes off and jumps straight at your face, like mine did a bunch of times. It was like I wasnt even there, the obstacle avoidance didn't seem to work. No thanks.
I have launched dozens of times.... I actually hold my palm out and above my head but have never had it do anything but go straight up.

I'm with suprPHREAK on this.
It would only need to happen once to have some pretty dire consequences. I'm mainly thinking about the eyes here.
I've done palm launch a few times myself but always felt a bit uneasy.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
I'm with suprPHREAK on this.
It would only need to happen once to have some pretty dire consequences. I'm mainly thinking about the eyes here.
I've done palm launch a few times myself but always felt a bit uneasy.
The fact that the claim is that it jumped at his face "a bunch of times" makes me believe that the entire thing is fabricated. If Sparks were regularly jumping at people's faces when launching, we would know about it.

If it happened ONCE, maybe I believe it. A bunch? No, that's just made up.

Sounds like the little sparkey just wanted some hugs IMG_7837.JPG

Reactions: Hickeroar
I see that Polarpro have designed a landing gear for the spark. I haven't seen a video illustrating how it would absorb a rough landing and with the higher centre of gravity I question how effective it would be.

I have launched dozens of times.... I actually hold my palm out and above my head but have never had it do anything but go straight up.

One day it was fine, the next it was trying to chop up my face. Then another day if flew away and crashed. Will never use these modes again.

The fact that the claim is that it jumped at his face "a bunch of times" makes me believe that the entire thing is fabricated. If Sparks were regularly jumping at people's faces when launching, we would know about it.

If it happened ONCE, maybe I believe it. A bunch? No, that's just made up.

I can assure you it isnt made up, and the culmination of the issues resulted in DJI replacing the drone. I'm not sure if it was compass related, IMU related, or Active Track related. All I know is, I powered it up, put it in my palm, waited for the lights, double tap, and duck. Sometimes it would settle into a hover 2 metres behind where I was standing, obviously not looking at me.

Initially, it worked great. At some point, it didnt. And then the crash happened.

Note that this was ALL while in Gesture Mode (no device connected), so maybe with an app connected it knows better, or at least reports better. But for me, that mode is dangerous and useless after my experience.

If anything: never use pal launch without the prop guards. While someone here claimed the props wont cut your skin (they will), they will most certainly cut your eyes. Be safe, flyer beware.

Last edited:
I wanted to share my build here. I was looking for landing gear but don't really need it. I have a trip coming up where i want to land on "high" grass and wanted a little bit more clearance. I ended up building my own.

Brass welding rods which click into the prop guards. Total added weigh approx 61grams. Comes to a total of around 362g as per my scale.

Just for my need, totally enough and it cost me nothing. Only modified the prop guards.

Let me know what you think :)1515109560797.jpg1515109593012.jpg

Reactions: Dino808
My kids gave me a Best Buy gift card for Christmas, and I saw the Polar Pro landing gear, and bought it only because it reminded of a Bell 47 I once flew. I'm not a hand catcher, so this works for me. They insist that you position them so they don't block the sensors, which makes perfect sense. They are a friction fit and also fold for storage.

413723633.jpg

Jake

only because it reminded of a Bell 47 I once flew.

I have a those as well.

I knew there was something subliminally familiar about that shape when I purchased those.

Reactions: lightbg
No landing gear for me. I got one of the small landing pads that DJI was selling at the same time the Black Friday deals on the Spark Fly More package, and it’s perfect for flying. Has the big “H” target on both sides (two different colors), and comes with reflective stickers (for night flying?) and three stakes for anchoring it to the ground. When using RTH and auto-land, it finds that target easily — especially when it contrasts with the background (orange against a tan background? Heck yeah!).

The landing pad not only provides a perfect target for RTH, but it presses down on any grass underneath so your blades don’t end up being a Weedeater[emoji769]. And the best thing? It adds no weight to your Spark. For me, the answer is simple - no landing gear!

Reactions: Dino808
Overall it looks functional.
Do you think the brass would effect the GPS / Compass with interference?

I noticed you are using the prop guards (big fan btw).

I haven't purchased these but it's the best of both worlds.

Prop guards and landing gear in one.
I'm not sure yet of it will cause gps/compass interference but I will know soon. Maybe it will act like an antenna which I doubt. I sometimes had big problems with gps anyways so I'm not too concerned about yet. Yes I'm using prop guards because I'm new and it was an easy way to mount the landing gear with out destroying something else. Honestly I was cheap with building my own because for 16 CAD I could buy the plastic ones which weight half less.

The landing pad is an good idea but I wanted to land away from the home point in my video project.

I'm not sure yet of it will cause gps/compass interference but I will know soon. Maybe it will act like an antenna which I doubt. I sometimes had big problems with gps anyways so I'm not too concerned about yet. Yes I'm using prop guards because I'm new and it was an easy way to mount the landing gear with out destroying something else. Honestly I was cheap with building my own because for 16 CAD I could buy the plastic ones which weight half less.

The landing pad is an good idea but I wanted to land away from the home point in my video project.
Brass is a non-ferrous metal so it wouldn't have any effect on the compass. The odds of it being the correct length to match a harmonic of any frequency the Spark uses and cause interference is pretty slim. My only concern would be the additional weight it adds will decrease flight time some.

Another vote for palm take off and landing (not with gestures - just using RC). No worries about what's under the surface messing with compass.
I've just started flying my spark and looking for the best way to land. What's your method for palm landing? Say for example, you're flying it with the RC and and want to land it into your palm?

I've just started flying my spark and looking for the best way to land. What's your method for palm landing? Say for example, you're flying it with the RC and and want to land it into your palm?
When I palm land, I hover around my breast hight and move my hand slowly under the spark. Make sure tou move it slowly and wotj a distance for about a foot.Then I use the joystick, which ever your down movement is, and pull it all the way down. I try to keep my hand flat as possible and have the ac body land in my palm. I don't like to catch the props really tho.

The best is, if you have the front sensors pointed at YOU so the ac will not move forward accidently and catch you with the props. That's my way to do it.

Reactions: One1step1
My kids gave me a Best Buy gift card for Christmas, and I saw the Polar Pro landing gear, and bought it only because it reminded of a Bell 47 I once flew. I'm not a hand catcher, so this works for me. They insist that you position them so they don't block the sensors, which makes perfect sense. They are a friction fit and also fold for storage.

413723633.jpg

Jake
Have you flown it with them does it work fine and does it not interfere with flight or the display of the camera because i was thinking about get this model of landing gear

No landing gear for me. I got one of the small landing pads that DJI was selling at the same time the Black Friday deals on the Spark Fly More package, and it’s perfect for flying. Has the big “H” target on both sides (two different colors), and comes with reflective stickers (for night flying?) and three stakes for anchoring it to the ground. When using RTH and auto-land, it finds that target easily — especially when it contrasts with the background (orange against a tan background? Heck yeah!).

The landing pad not only provides a perfect target for RTH, but it presses down on any grass underneath so your blades don’t end up being a Weedeater[emoji769]. And the best thing? It adds no weight to your Spark. For me, the answer is simple - no landing gear!
I’ve been using a small plywood surface that I’ve carried around with me which is the same idea but i was just kinda sketchy with sand and snow!

Have you flown it with them does it work fine and does it not interfere with flight or the display of the camera because i was thinking about get this model of landing gear
I have a pair and work great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar