Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Took the Spark

elfatih

Join
Nov 22, 2018
Took the Spark out this afternoon for a quiet flight around the lake. Heading back in I flew the Spark through a boathouse and halfway through the structure, the drone paused and then lowered itself towards the water. I was able to get control of the Spark but not until it had hit the water. It submerged itself just to camera level and once it cleared the structure, flew okay.

I landed the Spark, shook out a little water and swapped out the battery. On first inspection, it looked as if the only area the water collected was around the camera gimble. I decided to take it up for a quick flight to make sure everything is in working order and seconds into the flight the DJI app indicated a compass error then a vision error. I tried to maneuver the Spark back but it started spinning around and then flew into the front yard. My guess is the metal structure of the boathouse scrambled the Spark's sensors.

I did lose a prop and the plastic cover that goes over the LED light. One of the prop arms has a slight scuff on it but the external damage was minimal. I'm worried that the water fried some of the sensors. I let the Spark dry out for a few hours and another test flight yielded the same results with compass and vision errors popping up. I was able to land it without crashing this time.

Is the Spark a goner or do you think DJI can fix it? I do have the DJI Care Refresh for the Spark. Would that do me any good?

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the Spark out this afternoon for a quiet flight around the lake. Heading back in I flew the Spark through a boathouse and halfway through the structure, the drone paused and then lowered itself towards the water. I was able to get control of the Spark but not until it had hit the water. It submerged itself just to camera level and once it cleared the structure, flew okay.

I landed the Spark, shook out a little water and swapped out the battery. On first inspection, it looked as if the only area the water collected was around the camera gimble. I decided to take it up for a quick flight to make sure everything is in working order and seconds into the flight the DJI app indicated a compass error then a vision error. I tried to maneuver the Spark back but it started spinning around and then flew into the front yard. My guess is the metal structure of the boathouse scrambled the Spark's sensors.

I did lose a prop and the plastic cover that goes over the LED light. One of the prop arms has a slight scuff on it but the external damage was minimal. I'm worried that the water fried some of the sensors. I let the Spark dry out for a few hours and another test flight yielded the same results with compass and vision errors popping up. I was able to land it without crashing this time.

Is the Spark a goner or do you think DJI can fix it? I do have the DJI Care Refresh for the Spark. Would that do me any good?
I would just send it to dji for a verdict. If they say they can repair it, then probably have it repaired or you can swap it for another one since you have availed the dji care refresh.

Unless the damage is extremely minor DJI Care Refresh doesn't actually fix your drone and return it to you. They usually just send you somebody else's refurbished unit. The replacement aircraft will have a new serial number. The type of damage you describe should be covered.

This is exactly the kind of thing DJI Refresh is for...They'll send you a refurbished one that looks brand new, for a small replacement fee, and you'll be flying again in no time.

I had a similar experience in February with a water encounter. After drying it off, on the first attempt to fly, one of the motors caught fire. DJI Care Refresh replaced it with no problem (though they deemed it my fault) and repaired it. It works fine now. I know it was the original unit because it came back with my FAA sticker and it still smelled a bit from the burning.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast