Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Track Object While Flying

GeoM1

Join
Jan 23, 2019
Hi! I’m a geologist and I’d like to video a flight to a particular exposure on a cliff. I want to keep focus on that rock exposure as I fly by it. I have played with Intelligent Modes like active track, and while Spark follows me or whatever, it does not let me pilot around an object. I’m probably not being patient in carefully testing modes. The point is, I still do not know how to pilot around objects while keeping focus on them. Any help? Thanks much.

Litchi could be your new friend...
Hmmm, you got me thinking. I have used Litchi numerous times for some excellent programmed flights. But you say there is a tool where I can maintain focus on an object during manual flight? Cool.

What is that method if you don’t mind? I’ll check as well.

Thanks much!

+1 for Litchi. I love Litchi. It allows me to focus on the photos and video, with less attention to piloting.

Another great thing is that if you lose signal, your Spark will complete the mission, and RTH.

If you preplan your missions carefully, and thoroughly, you’ll be amazed with the results.

Pre-planning, double checking it, and running a flight SIM using Google Earth takes a lot of time beforehand, but well worth it.

Reactions: Marksspark
I haven’t done it in a while but I thought I had this figured out at one point with Go4. I thought it was to fly directly over the POI object and fix upon it in Acrive Track profile mode. Then you can back off of it and fly as you wish, with the camera focused on the POI. I will try this later to confirm.

Reactions: GeoM1
Hmmm, you got me thinking. I have used Litchi numerous times for some excellent programmed flights. But you say there is a tool where I can maintain focus on an object during manual flight? Cool.

What is that method if you don’t mind? I’ll check as well.

Thanks much!
Try the Litchi program. Make a Hub mission identifying your point of interest set up a flight path that focuses on this point of interest

I haven’t done it in a while but I thought I had this figured out at one point with Go4. I thought it was to fly directly over the POI object and fix upon it in Acrive Track profile mode. Then you can back off of it and fly as you wish, with the camera focused on the POI. I will try this later to confirm.
I will experiment more with Go4.... I tried Active Track and it wouldn’t let me fly past the object while focusing on it. But it was only a 10-15 sec test.
On the other hand I learned that Litchi’s Focus does precisely what I want (thanks for the tip McCloudSpark). I’ll experiment with both, as having this utility in Go4 would be handy. I’ll report back.
Cheers,
☀️✈️today in Montana!

I played with this for a couple of minutes yesterday and I don't think I remembered correctly. I threw the question out to Ethan Mitchell on his YouTube channel, where he's demonstrated how to do this with many different quads, including other DJI products. If you don't already subscribe to his channel, take a look. Ethan Mitchell

Reactions: GeoM1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme