Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

TRADING MY SPARK TO MAVIC AIR

Alucard

Join
Dec 21, 2017
Hi All, im planning to trade my spark to MA. Should i give it a Go?
Me and my spark are bestfriends for 7mos. :((

I've only had mine a short time but would probably keep it in addition to going with a bigger bird.
It seems to have it's place being so small.

@Alucard: Absolutely NO!

I have a Spark for almost a year and bought an Air a month ago. Thought it could be a kind of Spark ++.
Luckily didn’t sell the Spark immediately.
Don’t get me wrong. The Air is an impressive piece of engineering. 3-axis gimbal, 4K video, DNG support, rear collision sensors etc., all things I’ve wished my Spark had.
But for ease of use the Spark wins hands down. If have palm-launched the Spark and flew a short mission while I’m still unfolding the arms of the Air, removing the gimbal protector, screwing-in the sticks, attaching the OTG cable, unfolding and pinning the landing pad to the ground. And I’m on my bike again heading to the next location while I’m still packing the Air.
While the Air has less footprint than the Spark when folded, in reality you carry both at least with 2 additional batteries and those fit nicely between the arms of the Spark without adding footprint. So Spark with 2 extra batteries is smaller.
Plus when flying in areas where I try not to disturb people or animals, I always take the Spark. While measurements say the Air is no louder than the Spark, all people I’ve asked find the sound of the Air much more annoying.
And finally the Spark works with the Go4 mod app while the Air does not. To be fair, the Air works with Litchi and Drone Harmony and has boomerang and asteroid quickshot modes, which the Spark has not.

I might get a Mavic Platinum 2 or other low noise Drone with longer flight time and reach than the Air whenever DJI updates it and then sell the Air. Spark will stay with me until DJI releases a true Spark successor.

If you are still eager to try the Air, maybe get one second handed. That way you can sell it without much loss should you come to the same conclusion as I have.

Last edited:
For me, the next logical step would be Mavic Pro.... I do like the specs of the Air, but dispensing with wifi would be my biggest reason, that and better stability in wind that the Pro offers.

That said, I would not want to rain on your parade... if you can afford to keep the spark and get an air also, well, I am jealous! If you are selling one to get the next, I'd be inclined to wait a month or two and see what DJI is rolling out next, the prices on the old stuff will drop.

I've had my Mavic Air three weeks now and agree with everything SparkPete says and also don't want to sell my Spark. The Spark is much quicker to launch and most people think it's a toy and are not all that bothered by it whereas the MA looks a serious piece of kit. I've filmed my 4 grandsons a lot with the Spark and I think if I had a pilot error or malfunction the Spark would do far less damage than the MA being small, lighter and having folding props.
However as an ex-professional photographer I do really like the advanced photo settings on the MA (particularly having RAW) and I'm getting great quality images. The 3 axis gimbal is excellent and having pranged my Spark going backwards I hope the rear sensors will stop me next time.
Today I lost one of the detachable RC sticks but luckily it came with 2 spares.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex