Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Transport Canada rules

Dave A

Join
Jan 4, 2018
Loc
Ontario
Here in Canada we have new drone flying rules coming sometime this year. The government has posted their proposed rules on the Transport Canada site. No actual date yet.

Proposed rules
Very small drone more than 250 g to 1 kg
(Spark 300g)
Most recreational users will fit into this category. The rules that apply are easy to understand and follow.

Pilots must be 14 years old or older and will be required to:

I think most people will already have the liability insurance as part of their home policy.
The rest seems reasonable to me, although I hope that once the final more detailed rules are released that pilots under 14 will be able to fly in this category under the supervision of an adult.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/proposed-rules-drones-canada.html#key_concepts

Dave

Do you think the home policy would actually cover damage I might cause flying out at a park? That point made me uneasy.

Did you see DJI's rebuttal of the proposed rules? It's 19 pages, but a good read. They pick the proposed rules apart and provide commentary (both in favor of and against some sections) as an industry advocate. They argued for allowing night flying, which was cool.

Do you think the home policy would actually cover damage I might cause flying out at a park? That point made me uneasy.

Did you see DJI's rebuttal of the proposed rules? It's 19 pages, but a good read. They pick the proposed rules apart and provide commentary (both in favor of and against some sections) as an industry advocate. They argued for allowing night flying, which was cool.

I will be calling my insurance company to see if I have the coverage.
I didn't see that rebuttal by DJI.......do you have a link for it?

Dave

I cannot believe that I might be forced to insure something that I fly at under 100m and always within my eyesight. Sad!

Reactions: Blaze
Spoke this week with my insurance company and one insurance broker. My company specifically excludes "drones with camera" from my home insurance. The broker I gave the task to find me a deal, called me back and said no Quebec based insurance companies offers insurance for hobby drones. They only cover business drones or toy drones. Nothing in between.

So I called MAAC. They have a 7.5 million liability insurance for members for 80 Cad yearly membership. That sounded awesome.

However, the person I spoke to said they cover UAV (but their site says no) and she was not sure if that insurance covers non related to MAAC activities (like outside their events). So I reached to their Insurance Advisory Board, still waiting to hear back with some clarification.

Long story short, if no company will insure Canadian hobbyist, all flights will be illegal (or at least very, very risky).

Will see...

Spoke this week with my insurance company and one insurance broker. My company specifically excludes "drones with camera" from my home insurance. The broker I gave the task to find me a deal, called me back and said no Quebec based insurance companies offers insurance for hobby drones. They only cover business drones or toy drones. Nothing in between.

So I called MAAC. They have a 7.5 million liability insurance for members for 80 Cad yearly membership. That sounded awesome.

However, the person I spoke to said they cover UAV (but their site says no) and she was not sure if that insurance covers non related to MAAC activities (like outside their events). So I reached to their Insurance Advisory Board, still waiting to hear back with some clarification.

Long story short, if no company will insure Canadian hobbyist, all flights will be illegal (or at least very, very risky).

Will see...

Thanks for the info. I live in Ontario but have yet to start investigating my options for insurance. Will be interested to hear if anyone else in Ontario or other provinces has looked into this.

Part of the criticism for these new rules was that it assumed insurance would be $20/year, but did not establish that coverage, or research that it even existed, or determined it's necessity based on any evidence whatsoever.

The rules were invented by a washed up spaceman who has no grasp on where the model RC hobby went after his shuttle landed.

Reactions: Blaze
Insurance for comercial/business drones runs about 650$ per year. Seems unreasonable to expect 20$ per year for hobby. However, I do have a problem with missing regulations in insurance industry concerning these drones. You cannot ask mandatory insurance when no insurance company seems ready to offer this.

Regarding the need to be insured, it's kinda logic. Nobody wants to pay from his pocket in case of of flyaways finishing in powelines/cars/crowds.

So, here is the response from MAAC regarding insurance in Canada:

"Membership in MAAC includes insurance coverage under our general liability policy for recreational model aircraft up to 35 Kilos (77 pounds). Our policy does not cover commercial activities. So, less than 1 kg is acceptable. The aircraft is not covered however, liability insurance coverage is for damage done to someone else or their property.

Members are required to abide by our MAAC Safety Code (web site, resources, documents, standing committee-safety > look at MSD 2 first, it is a key code for the documents that apply to the discipline being flown) and to have permission of the property owner from which they operate their aircraft.

MAAC members are exempt from the interim Transport Canada regulations if they fly at a sanctioned field, event or zone administered by MAAC. If flying at other than one of these locations, members must abide by the regulations as set forth by Transport Canada. Insurance will respond only if you are abiding by the MAAC safety code no matter where you fly."

Thanks for the update. My guess is that if/when this becomes law, it will be necessary to have a MAAC membership just to say you are insured. But then that just makes me think there is no real need to have insurance anyway. Just fly safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers