Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

travel with spark

chits

Join
Dec 18, 2018
Do airlines allow drones to be packed in carryon luggage or do they have to be packed in checked in luggage?

Most allow drones to be packed in carry-on luggage. You can check the website for the airline of your choice for more details on their unique policies.

Problem for airlines are only the Lithium batterys not the drone. Buy lipobacks and take them in your hand luggage. And they want to to see that battery connectors are covered. All dji drones have under 100Wh, so you have no limitation in quantity. The drone can you put in check-in luggage. I took my spark and camera in hand luggage because I know how they handle the check-in luggage.....

Reactions: Andre Levite
Back in the phantom days, I placed all my batteries in my carry on. Problem I ran into is TSA held me up due to they didn't know what the hell they were looking at.

Reactions: Spark 317
Drone can be checked luggage OR carry on. But all the batteries must be carry on.

I remove the battery from the aircraft because of rule to prevent accidental startup. I cover the front and back battery terminals with tape. Place each in separate zip lock bag. Print out the TSA guidelines. Once you are through security the individual airlines do not reinspect your bag. I carry my drone on also only because of theft of valuables from checked luggage in some countries.

Pro tip: also carry purchase receipt because some countries will charge tax without it. They say it's is to protect against resale in their country but it's just a money grab. Be prepared

Last edited:
I brought my FlyMore Combo kit back from the US with no probs at all. I have registered with FAA for my next visit and that website has masses of info on what and what is not permitted. Brilliant advice from a member of our great community said to read, print off and take with you each airline’s policies on batteries. If there is a problem at check in you’ve got the paperwork to flash. No guarantee it’ll work but worth taking the trouble as the officials may not have the info in their heads.

The issue come in with larger batteries.
More capacity, the less you can carry.
I do know the Spark batteries are unlimited due to their size.
I believe Phantom series is when they get big enough they restrict how many.
But don't quote me.

A tip, Airlines go by Watt Hours and not mAh.
Really stupid if you ask me.
Just need to convert.
Convert mAh to Watt hours

I just wrote the Canadian Drone exam and it might have been one of the questions on the exam. The batteries have to be carried in a carry on and there can't be a battery in the spark if it is in checked luggage because of the type of battery it uses.

Do airlines allow drones to be packed in carryon luggage or do they have to be packed in checked in luggage?
(for untied domestically last summer) i was required to carry the drone and batteries on board with me on the flight as a carry on. i didn't get asked any thing about them but i would be prepared for it.

Did you ask them at the Gate or was it published before you travelled?
they had info about it on their website so depending on who you are flying with the regulations may be different.
they can be picky with their rules so it really does depend on who you fly with. but with the FAA these batteries no matter what must be carry-ons now some airlines I have heard don't allow them period so be careful

I read an FAA article on bringing LiPos on airlines it said the batteries must be in a fireproof LiPo bag and that there shall be no exposed wires that could touch and cause a short. Spark and similar batteries must have the electrical connectors covered. I'll try and find the article and post it.

Jeff
phkS448.gif

Reactions: Nope 2.0
I read an FAA article on bringing LiPos on airlines it said the batteries must be in a fireproof LiPo bag and that there shall be no exposed wires that could touch and cause a short. Spark and similar batteries must have the electrical connectors covered. I'll try and find the article and post it.

Jeff
phkS448.gif
Okay with my flight all they wanted was for the batteries to not be on a conductive surface (it was in a heavy plastic and Styrofoam case) and with this they said it was good.
A Travel Guide to Taking a Drone on a Plane
I followed this article and I was fine.

Reactions: Highflyer

Jeff
phkS448.gif

Those lipo battery bags are not necessary and they draw a lot of attention because they are shiny metallic material and covered with loud warning labels.

If you put the batteries in separate zip lock bags and cover the contacts with electrical tape you will pass the scrutiny of the most stringent TSA agent. My goal is to show I've reduced the short circuit risk without attracting unwanted attention.

Reactions: Highflyer
Those lipo battery bags are not necessary and they draw a lot of attention because they are shiny metallic material and covered with loud warning labels.

If you put the batteries in separate zip lock bags and cover the contacts with electrical tape you will pass the scrutiny of the most stringent TSA agent. My goal is to show I've reduced the short circuit risk without attracting unwanted attention.
Got it and thanks. Have to say I think the less attention drawn to one’s kit the better. I shall just comply with Virgin Atlantic, Jet Blue (to Ft Myers in May) and TSA rules and hope for the best. If it all goes wrong there’s always Best Buy Naples while we’re there!

I was thinking about that when I was reading that article about those LiPo bags. It makes sense to put them in a clear bag.

Reactions: Nope 2.0

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme