Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Traveling to Huatulco, Mexico with my Spark - My experience with customs in Mexico

TJBC75

Join
Jul 18, 2018
Just thought I would let you know of my recent experience in Mexico with my Spark. Traveled to Huatulco, a resort area on the Pacific Ocean. I read up on things related to drones before I left and knew there was a chance I would be charged a VAT (Value Added Tax) of 15% of the value of the drone when I went through customs. I stowed my drone and batteries in my carry on bag. No trouble going through security in Chicago.

In Mexico, once you gather your luggage, you have to go through an inspection portal where your luggage may or may not be inspected. Your chance of getting an inspection is based upon pressing a button on a supposedly random red light/green light system. If you press the button and get a red light, your luggage gets inspected. Been going to Mexico for many years and the system has basically remained the same. Of course, my wife and I got the red light.

Inspection of the luggage went fine, but the customs agent did find the drone in my backpack. Opened the case and took it out. He immediately asked me how much I paid for it and I took a chance and said $75. I figured the Spark is so small that it looks like a toy, unlike say the Mavic Pro. A lot of Spanish was exchanged with his co-workers. During this conversation, he was holding and waving around the Spark to emphasize his points. Naturally, I was a little nervous about potential damage. The end result was that it was not worth the paperwork to charge the VAT on a $75 drone and he gave the Spark back to me and sent me on my way.

At the resort we stayed at, the only problem I had was that the hotel did not want the drone flying near or over the resort. I complied with this request from a security person, who ended up interested in the FPV feed on my phone from the drone. I smiled a lot and respected his request and all seemed fine

Anyway, the Spark travels well and because of its size, appears more like a toy than a mid level drone. Below is a video of the bay in Huatulco as well as some photos. It did a great job.

pano 638 (Large).jpgpano 638 (Large).jpgPano 648 (Large).jpgPano 656 (Large).jpgPano 657 (Large).jpg

Great video and pictures there. I have just come back from Scotland did a few flights while there. Just working through them as we speak.

Just thought I would let you know of my recent experience in Mexico with my Spark. Traveled to Huatulco, a resort area on the Pacific Ocean. I read up on things related to drones before I left and knew there was a chance I would be charged a VAT (Value Added Tax) of 15% of the value of the drone when I went through customs. I stowed my drone and batteries in my carry on bag. No trouble going through security in Chicago.

In Mexico, once you gather your luggage, you have to go through an inspection portal where your luggage may or may not be inspected. Your chance of getting an inspection is based upon pressing a button on a supposedly random red light/green light system. If you press the button and get a red light, your luggage gets inspected. Been going to Mexico for many years and the system has basically remained the same. Of course, my wife and I got the red light.

Inspection of the luggage went fine, but the customs agent did find the drone in my backpack. Opened the case and took it out. He immediately asked me how much I paid for it and I took a chance and said $75. I figured the Spark is so small that it looks like a toy, unlike say the Mavic Pro. A lot of Spanish was exchanged with his co-workers. During this conversation, he was holding and waving around the Spark to emphasize his points. Naturally, I was a little nervous about potential damage. The end result was that it was not worth the paperwork to charge the VAT on a $75 drone and he gave the Spark back to me and sent me on my way.

At the resort we stayed at, the only problem I had was that the hotel did not want the drone flying near or over the resort. I complied with this request from a security person, who ended up interested in the FPV feed on my phone from the drone. I smiled a lot and respected his request and all seemed fine

Anyway, the Spark travels well and because of its size, appears more like a toy than a mid level drone. Below is a video of the bay in Huatulco as well as some photos. It did a great job.

View attachment 6533View attachment 6533View attachment 6534View attachment 6535View attachment 6536

Very beautiful pictures and video. And this is why I love the spark... it's so small it looks like a toy to most people.

First , video and pix are pretty awesome ! They are what I was hoping to capture with my Spark.

Thanks for sharing your experienced in Mexico's customs agent too for I/we are heading to Cabo next month and I did not know 'bout the 15% VAT charges, hopefully I will have no problem with them.
The hotel/Resort will be another story....I might let my $$$ talks to the people in there if they will give me a hard time.

First , video and pix are pretty awesome ! They are what I was hoping to capture with my Spark.

Thanks for sharing your experienced in Mexico's customs agent too for I/we are heading to Cabo next month and I did not know 'bout the 15% VAT charges, hopefully I will have no problem with them.
The hotel/Resort will be another story....I might let my $$$ talks to the people in there if they will give me a hard time.

I have taken my Phantom 3 adv and my Spark to Cabo several times, never had any problems whatsoever [emoji16]

Nice video. My experience in Mexico hinged on my luggage being inspected. If I would have received a "green light" when going through customs, my bags would have sailed through without any issue. In the end, it worked out fine.

I've been to Cabo a couple of times also (unfortunately, without a drone!) and I recognize the areas that you filmed - makes me want to go back!

Reactions: johnfkemp
I have taken my Phantom 3 adv and my Spark to Cabo several times, never had any problems whatsoever [emoji16]

John,
Thanks for the info mate ! Got my Spark a month ago and wanna bring it to Cabo and I was hesitant to bring it with me and I think I will. Someone say's there is a change that we will pay a VAT ,did you ? How many Spark batteries did you bring ? I have 4 and planning to bring them all.

John,
Thanks for the info mate ! Got my Spark a month ago and wanna bring it to Cabo and I was hesitant to bring it with me and I think I will. Someone say's there is a change that we will pay a VAT ,did you ? How many Spark batteries did you bring ? I have 4 and planning to bring them all.
I have been to Cabo about 15 times in the last 5 year's and have never had to pay a VAT tax. I do know what he is talking about when you go through the line and punch a button, it has always been green for me. I have taken 3 batteries with me each time! I have never ran into any problems at all, in fact everyone was very cool about the whole thing. I will be taking it again when we visit at Christmas time! If you go make sure and go up the mountain by the arch, you start by the naval station in the harbor. It is well worth the hike and take your Spark, you can get some great footage up there. I am in no way saying that the original poster is wrong about the VAT but I have never ran into that. I will have to do some research on that. Have a great trip to Cabo, it's our 2nd home and the people are awesome!!!

John, What I was originally saying was that because I was unlucky enough to get a red light, my luggage was searched. The custom's agent found the Spark in my backpack. I have been to Mexico many times, and I probably received the "red" light only two or three times in my lifetime. Huatulco may be different than Cabo, but the customs agent I was dealing with definitely wanted to charge a VAT on the Spark but in the end, decided against it. If my luggage was not inspected (ie, I received a "green light"), I would not have had to deal with customs at all. Anyway it turned out fine, but I just wanted other travelers who take drones to Mexico to know of my particular experience, just in case they run into this situation. I've been to Cabo many times also, and your advice on where to go is good. BTW, here is an article on taking a drone to Mexico:

UPDATED: Taking Your Drone To Mexico ? What To Know Before You Go

John, What I was originally saying was that because I was unlucky enough to get a red light, my luggage was searched. The custom's agent found the Spark in my backpack. I have been to Mexico many times, and I probably received the "red" light only two or three times in my lifetime. Huatulco may be different than Cabo, but the customs agent I was dealing with definitely wanted to charge a VAT on the Spark but in the end, decided against it. If my luggage was not inspected (ie, I received a "green light"), I would not have had to deal with customs at all. Anyway it turned out fine, but I just wanted other travelers who take drones to Mexico to know of my particular experience, just in case they run into this situation. I've been to Cabo many times also, and your advice on where to go is good. BTW, here is an article on taking a drone to Mexico:

UPDATED: Taking Your Drone To Mexico ? What To Know Before You Go
Thanks for the article, good information!

The customs are just making sure if your drone is being used as a drug mule.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers