Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Traveling with your Spark

Probably no going back for those guys to get the drone for the DJI refresh should they biff it in to the water. :p

Most radical hand launch ever!

They must have a huge budget and plenty of spare drones to toss them overboard from a racing sailboat in a rain squall. Yikes

Reactions: Spark 317
Most radical hand launch ever!

They must have a huge budget and plenty of spare drones to toss them overboard from a racing sailboat in a rain squall. Yikes

That clip is from a longer version of that flight, maybe 5 minutes if I recall.

The flight time was shortened due to multiple errors popping up because of the saltwater spray getting in everywhere on the bird.

I took a Norwegian Bermuda cruise on the Escape last year. I brought my spark. Had ZERO issues bringing it on. Packed it he same as I always do. Removed the props and batteries. I was able to take it on and off with no problems.

I got some amazing photos and pictures in Bermuda.

Bermuda May 2018

They ( the cruise line) are mainly afraid of people crashing into the decks.

The worst case scenario is a security officer takes it and you have to sign it in and out in port. This was from a Norwegian employee.

Great to hear, and the Escape is the ship I am booked on, leaving from NYC June 9th. How was the Escape? I have never been on a cruise ship, or even any type of ship... I have one of their small solo rooms booked, going with a group of friends...I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about going! I'm a little nervous that if I don't like it, or the weather is bad, I'll be stuck! And just the thought of it gets my anxiety going, lol. Plus I don't drink at all anymore, and most of my friends that are going do, excessively.

Great to hear, and the Escape is the ship I am booked on, leaving from NYC June 9th. How was the Escape? I have never been on a cruise ship, or even any type of ship... I have one of their small solo rooms booked, going with a group of friends...I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about going! I'm a little nervous that if I don't like it, or the weather is bad, I'll be stuck! And just the thought of it gets my anxiety going, lol. Plus I don't drink at all anymore, and most of my friends that are going do, excessively.

There is plenty to do. You won’t feel trapped at all. My brother traveled with me last year and he doesn’t drink and found ample things to do. There is a really cool photography seminar that I thought was interesting. Bring a few good books and sit on deck or at a quiet table in one of the restaurants. Having worked in nightclubs and bars most of my life the typical cruise things aren’t my thing.

There is plenty to explore in Bermuda. Never dwell on the worst case scenario of traveling only focus on the best case scenario.

Reactions: mano
There is plenty to do. You won’t feel trapped at all. My brother traveled with me last year and he doesn’t drink and found ample things to do. There is a really cool photography seminar that I thought was interesting. Bring a few good books and sit on deck or at a quiet table in one of the restaurants. Having worked in nightclubs and bars most of my life the typical cruise things aren’t my thing.

There is plenty to explore in Bermuda. Never dwell on the worst case scenario of traveling only focus on the best case scenario.

Thanks RoarRoar, that's all good to hear. I appreciate it! They also have the thermal spa, which is an extra, but that sounds like a great place to escape from the crowds too....and to rest my old bones!

Returned from Malta. No single question on airports. Spark did his job like big :)

So I am flying to Greece, NY, Las Vegas and San Francisco later this year. I plan to take the spark with me. I know I cannot fly in NY and that's okay. Hoping there is space to fly it in the other places though.

Would I need to register the drone with the FAA before entering the states?

So I am flying to Greece, NY, Las Vegas and San Francisco later this year. I plan to take the spark with me. I know I cannot fly in NY and that's okay. Hoping there is space to fly it in the other places though.

Would I need to register the drone with the FAA before entering the states?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Tander.

Here's information on registration.

AIRMAP & UAV FORECAST are a couple of apps that may help find places to fly.

B4UFLY is another app from the FAA to show areas.

Enjoy your visit and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Tander
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Tander.

Here's information on registration.

AIRMAP & UAV FORECAST are a couple of apps that may help find places to fly.

B4UFLY is another app from the FAA to show areas.

Enjoy your visit and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Very helpful, thanks!
I've registered with the FAA and got the certificate with the reg number, which I will attach to the craft before I fly it in the States.

Thanks again!

Yeah..that's a really neat video! I wonder what they did about all that salt water.

The video clip was a shorter version of the flight.

In that clip, there are captions at the end of the flight that the drone was receiving multiple errors (gimbal, motor) due to the salt water corrupting it.

They probably have a couple of throw aways.

No going back for the drone to honor the DJI care refresh. :D

There are numerous threads about this topic. I travel with mine all the time. I put it in a polar pro case that fits in my backpack with my other camera gear. I’ve never once been stopped or questioned.

I also travel with three batteries, charger, and whatever accessories I think I’ll need.

Some people seem to be over cautious. I don’t use “lipo bags” either.
If the airline personel should look in your carryon and the batteries are not in battery bags they will not allow you to carry them on, and since you can’t legally put them in cargo hold you’ll find yourself with the choice to leave them or not fly. Spoken from the voice of experience. It only needs to happen once, believe me. Approved bags are cheap compared to the price of your ticket and only add 10 seconds to packing/ unpacking.

Kind of on the same subject. Leaving Las Vegas, I noticed FAA had a blurb on the video screens with the common sense rules for flying drones, but mentioned nothing about permits or licensing. Are visitors to the US required to be certified and registered to fly while on vacation. Would have loved to get some desert shots while I was there.

Kind of on the same subject. Leaving Las Vegas, I noticed FAA had a blurb on the video screens with the common sense rules for flying drones, but mentioned nothing about permits or licensing. Are visitors to the US required to be certified and registered to fly while on vacation. Would have loved to get some desert shots while I was there.
All drones flown in the US are required to display their FAA registration visibly and outside of the “battery box” on the drone. Easy to get:

I believe it is... but I don’t follow Canadian law. Shorter answer is “I dunno”

Effective June 2019:
In addition to the general rules for flying a drone in Canada, pilots conducting basic drone operations must:
  • Pilots conducting basic operations need a Pilot Certificate – Basic Operations
  • Be able to show your Pilot Certificate – Basic Operations and proof of registration when you fly
Live close to the border and wouldn't mind taking my Spark over the line and taking some shots. If all I have to do is register it, I'll do it sooner than later. If I need a US pilots license, I'll leave it at home.

If the airline personel should look in your carryon and the batteries are not in battery bags they will not allow you to carry them on, and since you can’t legally put them in cargo hold you’ll find yourself with the choice to leave them or not fly. Spoken from the voice of experience. It only needs to happen once, believe me. Approved bags are cheap compared to the price of your ticket and only add 10 seconds to packing/ unpacking.

Are you saying that your batteries where actually confiscated because they weren't in a lipo bag?!?

I've never heard of that happening -- I own the bags but never used them because they look scary metallic and covered with hazard warnings. I just cover the metal contacts with gaffers tape and put each battery in a small zip lock. The official FAA guidelines don't even mention battery bags -- just says to take precautions to avoid short circuit and accidental start up.

What exactly happened to you? What country? Any details appreciated

Are you saying that your batteries where actually confiscated because they weren't in a lipo bag?!?

I've never heard of that happening -- I own the bags but never used them because they look scary metallic and covered with hazard warnings. I just cover the metal contacts with gaffers tape and put each battery in a small zip lock. The official FAA guidelines don't even mention battery bags -- just says to take precautions to avoid short circuit and accidental start up.

What exactly happened to you? What country? Any details appreciated
And what Airline? Just got back and the only issue they mentioned about batteries is that they must be in the cabin and NOT the hold.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers