Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Traveling with your Spark

Onelight74

Join
Dec 29, 2018
Heading to the UK later this year and wondering what tips anyone has for traveling with your drone. Read the UK guidelines for Drone use so think I have that covered, but certainly concerned about airline policies for taking it on the aircraft safely.

There are numerous threads about this topic. I travel with mine all the time. I put it in a polar pro case that fits in my backpack with my other camera gear. I’ve never once been stopped or questioned.

I also travel with three batteries, charger, and whatever accessories I think I’ll need.

Some people seem to be over cautious. I don’t use “lipo bags” either.

Reactions: Onelight74
There are numerous threads about this topic. I travel with mine all the time. I put it in a polar pro case that fits in my backpack with my other camera gear. I’ve never once been stopped or questioned.

I also travel with three batteries, charger, and whatever accessories I think I’ll need.

Same here. Domestic air in US, no issues. One would think we are the more paranoid o

Same here. Domestic air in US though , no issues. One would think we are the more paranoid ones too.
Honestly I can't see the use of lipo bags... They aren't going to stop a battery flame up

Hi from the UK. Just read up on the Drone Code here Drone code - Dronesafe and be aware, after the issues we’ve had at Gatwick and Heathrow, that droners are slightly persona non grata. It’s not too bad but just be sensible. All the airlines have useful info re battery travel. I always read them up, print off the relavent pages (in case the examining officer hasn’t got it front of mind-a tip from these pages a while ago) and hope for the best. It seems that the least attention you draw to your rig the better it is. “Bon vacance”

I have just returned from California to the uk. Brought a spark in the USA at security check I told them I had 2 batteries no problem. Asked if I wa over 75 I said no 74! They passed me trough without even going through the Xray machine. My wife was stopped and body searched though!

Thanks all for the info. I agree with not making a fuss, but some good information in terms of being prepared for any questions. I travel with a bunch of electronics usually so it won’t make to much of a difference to the already interesting x-ray image!

I had consider the LiPo bags more for assurance of others than myself. They are relatively cheap.

Off to read through the Drone Safe link! Thanks @twickers14

Interesting that Pilot Competency and Drone Registration will come into effect November 2019 in the UK.

I have just returned from California to the uk. Brought a spark in the USA at security check I told them I had 2 batteries no problem. Asked if I wa over 75 I said no 74! They passed me trough without even going through the Xray machine. My wife was stopped and body searched though!
Love it. I did the same last May from Florida (see my age!). No probs with the FlyMore Combo I bought, just my metal hips which cleared the airport security area! Seriously I’ve never had a problem with either the Spark or the hips.

Whoa, whoa. What's this age question? I'm 84.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: twickers14
Love it. I did the same last May from Florida (see my age!). No probs with the FlyMore Combo I bought, just my metal hips which cleared the airport security area! Seriously I’ve never had a problem with either the Spark or the hips.

So that clears up that question then! The hips don’t lie.... or something like that!

Reactions: twickers14
Anyone know how to get Sparky on a cruise ship? I booked a trip to Bermuda this spring, and was excited to see they allow drones there. But then I checked Norwegian Cruise policy, and id says NO drones allowed on board...I wouldn't even think about flying it from the ship, but I'm sure there are plenty of those who have (and ruined it for the rest of us)!!

Anyone know how to get Sparky on a cruise ship? I booked a trip to Bermuda this spring, and was excited to see they allow drones there. But then I checked Norwegian Cruise policy, and id says NO drones allowed on board...I wouldn't even think about flying it from the ship, but I'm sure there are plenty of those who have (and ruined it for the rest of us)!!

I guess they have a zero tolerance policy with respect them being present on the ship. I could understand you wanting to take it with you to capture some footage/photos ashore, but as you say.... some may have flown them without consideration.

Have you contacted the company, maybe they can permit them if they are stowed securely during the time on board?

Reactions: mano
Haven't tried it on a ship. I would guess that it would be ok in your checked baggage. I'm going on another short cruise soon so I'm glad you brought that up. It could depend on the cruise line. It would be dumb to fly it on board. The ship is making 20kts. I think the spark would have a heck of a time keeping up if you were dumb enough to launch it off of your balcony. I have flown many times in the U.S and Mexico in private planes and the airlines. I've never had the slightest problem. I do have a lipo bag but..seriously..do you think that would contain a fire..I don't.
I thought that age thing was just for shoes?..I'm getting up there at eighty. It should have some benifit

I took a Norwegian Bermuda cruise on the Escape last year. I brought my spark. Had ZERO issues bringing it on. Packed it he same as I always do. Removed the props and batteries. I was able to take it on and off with no problems.

I got some amazing photos and pictures in Bermuda.

Bermuda May 2018

They ( the cruise line) are mainly afraid of people crashing into the decks.

The worst case scenario is a security officer takes it and you have to sign it in and out in port. This was from a Norwegian employee.

Last edited:
Haven't tried it on a ship. I would guess that it would be ok in your checked baggage. I'm going on another short cruise soon so I'm glad you brought that up. It could depend on the cruise line. It would be dumb to fly it on board. The ship is making 20kts. I think the spark would have a heck of a time keeping up if you were dumb enough to launch it off of your balcony. I have flown many times in the U.S and Mexico in private planes and the airlines. I've never had the slightest problem. I do have a lipo bag but..seriously..do you think that would contain a fire..I don't.
I thought that age thing was just for shoes?..I'm getting up there at eighty. It should have some benifit

You paid attention in class! Would be an interesting experiment to observe a take off and follow from a moving object.

ABSOLUTE BRILLIANT...!!! Being a yachtie myself, now also owner of a Spark, this looks like fun!

Probably no going back for those guys to get the drone for the DJI refresh should they biff it in to the water. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast