Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Traveling

Kevin Starkweather

Join
Sep 2, 2018
So getting ready to go to Hawaii and I was wondering the rules of bringing my spark on the flight, can I bring it on in my carry on backpack?

I have taken my drone along for dozens of domestic and international flights. Through much research and first hand experience I have learned the following:

Lithium polymer batteries are not permitted in the cargo storage of plane. They should be always carried on with the passenger. They should be packaged separately so I put each in a zip lock bag. I avoid the silver metallic "safety bags" because they have alarming warnings printed on them and raise suspicion of danger. I cover front and back contacts with electrical tape to erase concerns of short circuit.

Technically the drone itself and remote control can go in luggage but I carry on instead. I don't want to risk theft and would like chance to explain myself if discovery in luggage raised concerns. I remove propellers as they are somewhat sharp and resemble blades (I put in zip lock and pack in toiletry bag so not forgotten).

I print a copy of FAA rules and bring it through security. I also research individual airline carrier rules and print those too. Research drone laws in your country of destination because some don't allow drones at all and others tax them at airport for concerns of resale overseas.

It is best to be over prepared because many inspectors are unaware of their own rules. They will always err on the side of disallowing boarding rather than letting a questionable risk pass thru.

Best to be patient and smile when being questioned. I have survived a few close calls with the procedures above.

Reactions: perrylawrence
I have taken my drone along for dozens of domestic and international flights. Through much research and first hand experience I have learned the following:

Lithium polymer batteries are not permitted in the cargo storage of plane. They should be always carried on with the passenger. They should be packaged separately so I put each in a zip lock bag. I avoid the silver metallic "safety bags" because they have alarming warnings printed on them and raise suspicion of danger. I cover front and back contacts with electrical tape to erase concerns of short circuit.

Technically the drone itself and remote control can go in luggage but I carry on instead. I don't want to risk theft and would like chance to explain myself if discovery in luggage raised concerns. I remove propellers as they are somewhat sharp and resemble blades (I put in zip lock and pack in toiletry bag so not forgotten).

I print a copy of FAA rules and bring it through security. I also research individual airline carrier rules and print those too. Research drone laws in your country of destination because some don't allow drones at all and others tax them at airport for concerns of resale overseas.

It is best to be over prepared because many inspectors are unaware of their own rules. They will always err on the side of disallowing boarding rather than letting a questionable risk pass thru.

Best to be patient and smile when being questioned. I have survived a few close calls with the procedures above.
Perfectly said. I’ve had the same experiences when traveling. It’s easy, especially with a small drone like the Spark.

Reactions: Andre Levite
I avoid all of these issues by shipping by Spark to and from my destination via Fed Ex. It always arrives and is insured. I have no issues with TSA with this method,

Regards,

Walt

To get some really useful tips on rules of bringing my spark on the flight on particular areas, check out Devinsupertramp Youtube vlog. I've been following and watching it for over a year and all I can tell about it - it's exciting and fun to watch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers