Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

UAV forecasts

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Rather stupidly I presumed the forecasts are spot on for the U.K. but have just checked and seen that the UAV source updates hourly in the US but every 6 hours here in the U.K. Dark Sky, which is my go-to app for weather, is available to use as the base and I have changed to DS. Appreciate these forecasts may not be so accurate for altitude conditions. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Reactions: twickers14
I can highly recommend <this free Norwegian forecast>, available for desktop, iOS and Android.

How good or bad a weather forecast is depends on the underlying calculation model. Not every service uses the same model, hence the differences in the forecasts: one apps says something else than an other or than the newspaper ... TV tells something different ...

The descendants of the Vikings do a good job, at least for Europe and they promise the same quality worldwide.

But nowadays the weather is less and less reliable and predictable.
Since I live on the coast, I like to have a look at the nautical sea weather report. There they describe the weather situation: A high pressure area here, moving this direction, a low pressure area there, moving that direction, ...
The development of wind direction and wind strength is also mentioned.
These are basic values from which you can draw your own conclusions for your local situation with just a little practice and observation of the weather. If you live (and want to fly) up to 50 km from any coastline, I would recommend to consider the nautical weather forcast. If you're gonna fly at a coast anyhow, check if there are sailing clubs, marinas or harbours. Usually you will find a blackboard or a showcase close to the harbour master's office with the nautical weather forecast in that area for the next 12 hours.
The forecast you will read here is calculated by observing the surrounding weather stations plus the global forecast, so it should be the best you can get.
A similar forecast might be available in mountain areas by some weather stations, even mountain rescue stations.
Try if the have a telephone service.

So my conclusion: Apps are quite nice ... check what they tell by a 2nd source and your own observation.
If you are not in your home region: ask the locals!

Sorry guys been sorting family things for the last couple of days. Very much appreciate your help and input. Each of you has given it lots of thought and I agree with the single theme that runs through the responses-by all means use apps wherever you are but blend the info with your view of the conditions from where you plan to or are going to fly. In these times and my age we are not travelling far at any time so my local conditions (which I have flown in for 2 years) are pretty well understood. In slightly more “exciting“ conditions I will pop Spark up 50/75 mtrs above me for a quick look at her behaviour and if there are any concerns I bring her down and go home. Many of you live in the most wonderful open landscapes (from the fantastic clips and pix you post) and are able to roam a bit further than I can and will need accurate predictions of conditions before you set out. Your feedback and experiences are hugely appreciated-thank you again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme