Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

UK drone laws underway-effective 30 November 2019.

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Hi all. Registration is under way for the above and I have just successfully applied, passed my Test, and got all the necessary IDs to allow me to continue to fly my Spark. Phew! My Flyer ID is valid for 3 years and my Operator ID is valid for 1 year. Annual fee of £9. Interesting Test with 20 questions. Struggled with one simply because I felt it was inaccurate in it’s wording but very happy and am now good to go. Anyone else in the UK had a go yet? Good luck, sure you’ll pass.

Hi all. Registration is under way for the above and I have just successfully applied, passed my Test, and got all the necessary IDs to allow me to continue to fly my Spark. Phew! My Flyer ID is valid for 3 years and my Operator ID is valid for 1 year. Annual fee of £9. Interesting Test with 20 questions. Struggled with one simply because I felt it was inaccurate in it’s wording but very happy and am now good to go. Anyone else in the UK had a go yet? Good luck, sure you’ll pass.

Interesting. Without giving away any answers, generally what kind of questions are being asked? I'm sure standardized testing is coming to the USA soon enough so I'm curious.

Interesting. Without giving away any answers, generally what kind of questions are being asked? I'm sure standardized testing is coming to the USA soon enough so I'm curious.
Every question is related to the Drone Code all of which is readily available but there are some questions which pose flying situations where a bit of interpretive logic needs to be applied. Nothing too taxing if you’ve done your homework.

Did mine last night sorted and legal.

I did mine last night at about 11.30 pm in bed. I knew the drone code beforehand, and all the questions are just really common sense. So I managed 20/20 on my first try, so it cant be that hard. I was wondering if we got an actual ID card, as it says we should carry it around at all times, but doesn't say whether or not, they supply one that I could find.
Also the flying ID lasts 3 years, but the Operator licence only lasts ONE year. So do we have to keep paying through the nose to renew our Operator licence ??? and how much are they going to ask for that now ? Or is that included in the £9 fee ?
Safe (legal) flying guys and gals.
Rolfy Dave

I did mine last night at about 11.30 pm in bed. I knew the drone code beforehand, and all the questions are just really common sense. So I managed 20/20 on my first try, so it cant be that hard. I was wondering if we got an actual ID card, as it says we should carry it around at all times, but doesn't say whether or not, they supply one that I could find.
Also the flying ID lasts 3 years, but the Operator licence only lasts ONE year. So do we have to keep paying through the nose to renew our Operator licence ??? and how much are they going to ask for that now ? Or is that included in the £9 fee ?
Safe (legal) flying guys and gals.
Rolfy Dave
Some good points there well I hope the £9.00 covers it all for 3 years Iam going to copy the licence which I might add isn’t very professional to word then shrink it down then laminate it see if that works out. I don’t think we are going to be issued a proper I’d,one good thing at lease we are covered by the CAA

Reactions: Rolfy Dave
Did mine just now (passed 19 out of 20) so I'm a pilot but wont register as operator till I renew my BMFA membership.

Some good points there well I hope the £9.00 covers it all for 3 years
Fraid not each year £9 for operators licence as I understand it. But this will mean all drones will be flown within the drone code, except maybe by terrorists and idiots!! Oh and until this legislation the police did not have the power to tell you to land your drone or give your details to them.

Passed also with 19/20. You can look the answers up during the test by following the The Drone and Model Aircraft Code. It's easy.

Glad everyone, or nearly everyone, has registered. Did anyone think Q19 was not right? Won’t give anything away but did anyone else trip up on it. I got 19/20 Simply because I went for the logical safest answer which was apparenly wrong!!

Would watch yourself if the police or a member of public stops you it could mean the loss of your drone and no more flying without your registration
Rarely see the police.
And with a face like a bulldog, not many people talk to me. ?

I’ve been to uk about 3 months ago, and wanted to take my spark.
As i havent found Any info i decided to leave it at home.
Once in london, asked some police guards and they told is forbbiden in london city.
Went to edimburg and didnt see any police but im pretty sure its the same as london.
Then went to irland, more relaxed people, but as i didnt see anybody with drones i guessed is the same also.

Hoping to visit UK and fly a drone sometime - does the registration requirement apply to the 249g Mavic Mini? I see this on the UK.gov website:

"The new laws will also require owners of drones weighing 250 grams or more to register with the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) and for drone pilots to take an online safety test to ensure the UK’s skies are safe from irresponsible flyers. These requirements will come into force on 30 November 2019".

So I apparently don't need to register the 249g Mavic Mini in the UK. Do I still need to take the safety test?

Last edited:
Yes took my test and paid my money on the 5th. The test was very easy, just read the guidelines and you'll be fine. I read the guidelines a couple of years ago and passed without revising. I don't fly often but it's cheap and it makes sense to be legal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef