Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Unactivated Intelligent Spark Battery shelf life

Heckmaniac

Join
Sep 15, 2018
If I were to purchase a new Spark battery when I see one on sale, but don't really need another at this time, what's the shelf life of this battery if not activated or charged and left untouched for an extended period. Deciding if I want to buy and keep as a backup for when one of my older batteries when it starts losing flight time - or is it better to buy one when ready to use it right away?

Depending on where you buy it a battery purchased today could already be over a year old. Shelf life starts ticking the day it is manufactured and not related to when you purchased it.

Even when intelligently self-discharged DJI recommends charging them up every 3 months or so. So batteries warehoused for long periods may be compromised to some degree. Batteries purchased direct from DJI may be newer because not passed through the distribution chain (but DJI sales only 10-15% discount).

For that reason I'd recommend not purchasing battery until you need it. They are in good supply and frequently on sale elsewhere. They rarely sell below $45 unless on clearance (and those are likely the oldest batteries or fakes).

Reactions: Arabak58
Depending on where you buy it a battery purchased today could already be over a year old. Shelf life starts ticking the day it is manufactured and not related to when you purchased it.

Even when intelligently self-discharged DJI recommends charging them up every 3 months or so. So batteries warehoused for long periods may be compromised to some degree. Batteries purchased direct from DJI may be newer because not passed through the distribution chain (but DJI sales only 10-15% discount).

For that reason I'd recommend not purchasing battery until you need it. They are in good supply and frequently on sale elsewhere. They rarely sell below$45 unless on clearance (and those are likely the oldest batteries or fakes).

Saw a post (Spark 317) that Target is selling off inventory for $34. Might be older, but I'm sure they are legit DJI batteries. Out of stock most places - but going to pick one up I think as a backup, since pretty cheap.

I myself would want to buy a battery that is new stock . The older used batteries might be the style where the locks were old style . The old style battery locks did not lock into the drone near as good . The newer style is a better design. Nobody wants a battery to fall out mid flight

I myself would want to buy a battery that is new stock . The older used batteries might be the style where the locks were old style . The old style battery locks did not lock into the drone near as good . The newer style is a better design. Nobody wants a battery to fall out mid flight]

Agree in that I'd prefer the newer style with the longer clips - don't know if the ones Target sells are the newer style or older style. Bottom line is I use the battery guard to prevent battery disconnect so that's a non factor. The premise of the question had to do with battery shelf life if bought new and left untouched and not activated by initial charging. Does the battery lose effectiveness even if left in hibernation mode and not charged for an extended period.

Reactions: Arabak58

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers