Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

USA users: FAA registration

Jeplane

Join
May 26, 2017
Loc
Dallas, TX
For those living in the US... Have you registered your Spark with the FAA, or because it is so small, you have not worried about it?
Thanks

Registration is required prior to flying any UAV that weighs more than 0.55 pounds outdoors , so yes, I'm registered.

Note that for hobby/recreation flights, you register yourself (not the individual drone) and apply the same number to all your UAV.

I registered mine since it's required by US law.

Reactions: ELD.visuals
is it really 24.99 $ to register? i heard it was $5.. heard of people gettin scammed so just curious im using the site federaldroneregistration.com

Is a new registration needed for each drone? I have a spark and also purchased a mavic pro. Will I need a new registration for the new drone? Thank you.

Is a new registration needed for each drone?
You can apply the same registration number to all of your drones if you registered under Section 336.

Reactions: Hddeuce03
If you dont register your spark, and a cop stops and checks to see if your drone is registered, the FAA can fine you $10,000 dollars.

If you dont register your spark, and a cop stops and checks to see if your drone is registered, the FAA can fine you $10,000 dollars.
Which is quite unlikely to happen.

But for $5 for 3 years, everyone should still register rather than risking it.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Conversely.....what if the powerful commercial aviation lobbyists get their way and succeed in repealing section 336? Then all of us hobbyists who have registered are now on a watch list because we did register. One could make the possible argument for not registering and keeping anonymity.

Not exactly - if the city you're in has local drone laws that state your drone must be registered, you'll be warned or fined IAW the local laws. If you're caught doing something really stupid, local LE may report the incident to your local FAA office and they'll deal with the situation accordingly.

Conversely.....what if the powerful commercial aviation lobbyists get their way and succeed in repealing section 336? Then all of us hobbyists who have registered are now on a watch list because we did register. One could make the possible argument for not registering and keeping anonymity.
I fly drones and I'm also a commercial pilot. I could tell you that the "big bad powerful commercial aviation lobbyists" don't necessarily want to do away with 336. What they do want are more concise regulation that will ensure manned aircraft safety. 336 was horribly written and only hurts hobbyists and manned aviation.

For me, it was a no brainer. I registered when I got my original Phantom in 2016. At that time, it cost $5, but was refunded (to encourage registration?). They dropped the registration rule in May of 2017 but then restored it in December. The FAA extended the expiration date until December 12, 2020, which is 3 years from the rule restoration date. So I'm good for another couple of years. :)

I see no problem registering, I can't quibble over the cost ($5 dived by 3yr = 1.66 a year), I probably loose more spare change in my car seat than that in a year. No, it won't stop some numbskull from flying when and where they shouldn't, but it also doesn't mean that someone will be knocking on my door to take my spark away. (Trust me, as an ex-government employee, they're not that organized despite what the conspiracy theorists say!)

Which is quite unlikely to happen.

But for $5 for 3 years, everyone should still register rather than risking it.
Back in 2016 when the registering was starting, we had a cop come by us and asked us if we registered and asked to see the registration thats suppose to be on the aircraft at all time. We had ours taped to the bottom sandwiched between the battery and bottom plate. He just said ok and walked away :D:D

You don't need to register any longer, that was overruled in the supreme court. Only if you flying for commercial or for a business do you need to register.

You don't need to register any longer, that was overruled in the supreme court.
And that ruling was then overruled again by President Trump on December 2017. Registration is currently required by US law for everyone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67