Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using just the Controller to fly Spark

craigjh

Join
May 7, 2018
Is it possible to use the controller just to fly the DJI Spark without having to use the mobile device?

While it's possible, it's not the best decision for the following reasons:

1) You will not be able to see any critical messages that might pop up mid-flight in DJI GO.

2) If you're running firmware 1.00.0400 (or newer), the height will be limited to 30 meters and the distance will be limited to 50 meters.

3) Since DJI GO won't be running, a TXT flight log will not be created on your mobile device. That flight log could come in handy if you happen to lose your Spark.

OK, if we slightly change the question - so if in the mid-flight the phone dies all of sudden?
The only thing i can do, in case it is beyond the VLOS, is to press RTH button on RC?

The only thing i can do, in case it is beyond the VLOS, is to press RTH button on RC?
That would be the best plan of action. And you'd of course want to make sure you set the proper RTH altitude before taking off (in case you really do need to use RTH).

RTH is not your only option, if you know that there is nothing directly above your spark, then RTH is the most convenient.
If you’re possibly flying under a tree or structure, you could do better by landing the spark. The 3rd option is when you don’t trust the terrain is suitable for landing, & are unsure if RTH is clear of hazards, is simple, let the spark hover & hot-foot yourself over to it. It will be easier to find buzzing in the air, rather than hiding in the grass, but you will want to be quick.
(I am assuming the spark does not initiate RTH itself, your controller will begin to beep if this happens, hit pause to stop it)

So I grew a pair of balls and connected just my controller to the spark without any mobile device and for the first time with the controller I had such a blast going from P mode to S Mode S Mode is so much quicker and responsive wow not one single problem with it connected instantly

Reactions: Hddeuce03
So I grew a pair of balls and connected just my controller to the spark without any mobile device and for the first time with the controller I had such a blast going from P mode to S Mode S Mode is so much quicker and responsive wow not one single problem with it connected instantly

Make sure to read the manual concerning the Status Lights (rear LEDs) and the codes / color flashes to ensure you have adequate GPS lock before launch.

Just because the controller goes GREEN, it's just connected, not necessarily safe to fly.

Have fun.

Lots of people fly all types of UAVs without a screen full of flight information, warnings, & camera view, every day. Most have no trouble with a basic quad & controller. I always fly LOS, the camera view is used to aim camera, my IPad doesn’t fit the controller & so it is placed close by, I will hear any alerts, & can use the info if disoriented. I have flown without the DJI app on the screen for about 40 secs, (the IPad was being used as a 2nd camera). Scary over a river!
If Christopher Columbus had GPS available when he sailed round the world, I believe he would have used it.
Not many drones without telemetry or a camera view can fly over 7 miles/12km.
If you’re happier flying a spark by controller only, good for you! I respect your decision. It will not convince me to change my way of flying.

Last edited:
i am only new to the spark but have had my phone turn off while in the middel of a flight first time panic and while the spark hovered I was abel to restart the phone next time I managed to flyit back to me and land but it was only about 150 mtrs away I have fixed the problem the on/off switch was comming in contact with thye controller body so i have fitted another phone cover and it stays on ok now but dfid let me know it is possiable to fly with out phone as my battery in my phone does not give much time I have a portable power pod coming that I can plug into the phone to keep it on

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena