Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Views from Bristol Downs at their best.

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
As mentioned in a post yesterday I got 4 batteries away on a beautiful morning with very light winds and fabulous light. Some autumn foliage shots which are not as spectacular as you guys over the pond but still heart lifting in current times. The famous Clifton Suspension bridge is in one shot and the marquee top right in another shot is a travelling circus! The Avon Gorge is looking.....gorgeous! and the views to the Severn Estuary are dotted with turbines that power a few homes and factories. I have to admit to a dab or two of Luminar4 but I promise, only a dab!
565008C2-40A2-4E4B-B62E-23896061A344.jpeg343F8CF0-F027-4E2C-97BE-8D4A7897C7FD.jpegFF995AB2-81B7-4B0D-8C86-68FBF47E0FB4.jpeg33BA7DDB-229B-4814-95A8-C3536C64FF97.jpeg

As mentioned in a post yesterday I got 4 batteries away on a beautiful morning with very light winds and fabulous light. Some autumn foliage shots which are not as spectacular as you guys over the pond but still heart lifting in current times. The famous Clifton Suspension bridge is in one shot and the marquee top right in another shot is a travelling circus! The Avon Gorge is looking.....gorgeous! and the views to the Severn Estuary are dotted with turbines that power a few homes and factories. I have to admit to a dab or two of Luminar4 but I promise, only a dab!
View attachment 13428View attachment 13429View attachment 13430View attachment 13431
looking lovely

Reactions: twickers14
Very Nice twickers14.

Our leaves are changing but it's been windy and blowing them off the trees.

Supposed to rain today. :(

I have to admit to a dab or two of Luminar4 but I promise, only a dab!

Reminds me of Brylcreem Hair Products.

" A Little Dab will do 'ya"

Last edited:
in advertising for 40 years so a snappy little line like that sounds spot on!

Were you one of those Madison Ave. Mad Men ?

I like the way advertising works, but I don't like commercials. :D

Were you one of those Madison Ave. Mad Men ?

I like the way advertising works, but I don't like commercials. :D
I have never smoked so perhaps not completely like Mad Men but the industry was great fun most of the time and I was a great believer in entertaining viewers with our ads. It makes them more receptive and positive towards the brand.

Reactions: Spark 317
Spectacular shots twickers! The Avon Gorge is beautiful and love all the colors of Autumn showing. Thank you for sharing with us. Pretty amazing that you never smoked. Very few of our generation didn't smoke something. ?

Reactions: twickers14
Spectacular shots twickers! The Avon Gorge is beautiful and love all the colors of Autumn showing. Thank you for sharing with us. Pretty amazing that you never smoked. Very few of our generation didn't smoke something. ?
Thank you to for your kind words. Too keen on sport and my Dad told me never to touch the “darn things”!

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Have to say your 360 shot ”beats mine into a cocked hat”. Where did that saying come from!! I would love to save that 360-is there a way I can and if so do I have your permission?Flying out over the Gorge is not for the feint hearted and I have to say I really struggled to keep LOS (especially at my age but my driving glasses help!). It was worth it though. Thanks for your comments.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Have to say your 360 shot ”beats mine into a cocked hat”. Where did that saying come from!! I would love to save that 360-is there a way I can and if so do I have your permission?Flying out over the Gorge is not for the feint hearted and I have to say I really struggled to keep LOS (especially at my age but my driving glasses help!). It was worth it though. Thanks for your comments.
Sure, you are welcome to save it. I cant see a way to save it from Kuula's interface, I think I stuck it up at SkyPixel too... The world's biggest drone photo and video sharing platform | SkyPixel.com but it may be hard so save from there. If anyone has any hints please let us know. Perhaps I can PM it to you.

@Northwood Mediaworks Hang on, I think you're getting confused. It's my 360 pano and I put it on Klapty.

@twickers14 Yes you are welcome to have it. I have spent a lot of time looking at ways of sharing 360 panos and/or making VR tours, including Momento360, Panoraven, Roundme, Roundaa, Orbix360, Theasys and Kuula. They all reduce the quality whereas Klapty seems to support the original resolution and provides free hosting. It doesn't provide a download option. I'd be happy to put the original on Dropbox for you (it is 20MB and 20k pixels wide). Let me know in a conversation. For local viewing of 360 panos on a Windows PC, I have found the best app is the free VideoPanoramas Player. Best resolution and good controls for zoom, little planet, autorotate etc. Videopanoramas Player | VideoPanoramas spherical 360 camera

Right. I have successfully confused you both and heartfelt apologies for that. Because Hamlet was showing the Bristol Downs (my home town) in my original thread it was that piece of work I wanted to save-hence the ref to flying out over the Gorge. I should have Replied to Hamlet’s post but I replied to yours Robin so please forgive me. I love your shot too, it’s in my Photos and you will be credited when I show it to my family. Please forgive me for the confusion.

@Northwood Mediaworks Hang on, I think you're getting confused. It's my 360 pano and I put it on Klapty.

@twickers14 Yes you are welcome to have it. I have spent a lot of time looking at ways of sharing 360 panos and/or making VR tours, including Momento360, Panoraven, Roundme, Roundaa, Orbix360, Theasys and Kuula. They all reduce the quality whereas Klapty seems to support the original resolution and provides free hosting. It doesn't provide a download option. I'd be happy to put the original on Dropbox for you (it is 20MB and 20k pixels wide). Let me know in a conversation. For local viewing of 360 panos on a Windows PC, I have found the best app is the free VideoPanoramas Player. Best resolution and good controls for zoom, little planet, autorotate etc. Videopanoramas Player | VideoPanoramas spherical 360 camera
Thanks for this. Please see my apology Post to you and Robin. I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to Dropboxes etc and I don’t use them. Don’t worry I’ll just keep the Post and show it to family. Wife already impressed.

No problem. When threads get longer it's hard to tell which reply relates to which previous post. Glad you like the pano.

You might like to see this virtual tour I have been compiling of a nature reserve south of Bristol where I am a trustee. I need to add some better ground level 360s of the various features (at the moment some are just phone pics). The reserve is within the airport flight restriction zone so I need to get permission each time I fly. If you click on the compass icon on the right you'll see the location of each pano on a map. Tour of the BET Reserves from North Somerset, UK

No problem. When threads get longer it's hard to tell which reply relates to which previous post. Glad you like the pano.

You might like to see this virtual tour I have been compiling of a nature reserve south of Bristol where I am a trustee. I need to add some better ground level 360s of the various features (at the moment some are just phone pics). The reserve is within the airport flight restriction zone so I need to get permission each time I fly. If you click on the compass icon on the right you'll see the location of each pano on a map. Tour of the BET Reserves from North Somerset, UK
This is spectacular and very well put together. You are clearly not a dinosaur!! is it easy to ask for permission to fly from the airport? I have the right apps to show NFZs etc and stick to those but have never tried contacting the airport. Must get over to the reserve for a walk. The quarry looks amazing. Lived here 30 years and never ventured.

Thank you for your comments. I was in IT for 35 years before I retired 10 years ago. So I am persistent and determined to make applications work they way I think they should! The old quarry isn't part of our reserve, but we hope one day to acquire it and increase our 22 acres to 80. Peregrine falcons nest on the cliffs every year.

To get permission to fly in the Bristol NFZ, call Air Traffic Control on 01275 473714 and explain where you want to fly. There's a bit to do beforehand. You used to have to get permission in principle for up to 12 months from NATS using their AUP application, but this has been scrapped. Instead, some time before each flight you raise a non-standard flight request on https://nsf.nats.aero/. I typically do it the evening before. ATC get an email from NATS telling them about the request. Sometimes I then receive permission from ATC in the morning via email. Or I phone them up, they find the paperwork and I confirm exactly where and when I want to fly.

ATC are very friendly and helpful and it's nice to chat with them. I've never had an issue getting permission, but the nature reserve is 2.5km north of the airport and well away from the flight path.

Once you have their permission, you use the DJI self-unlocking procedure on their website to unlock the DJI Go 4 app and Spark so that you can actually take off. That's a bit fiddly but it works. Sometimes ATC ask you to call back when you've finished.

It's all part of the fun!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex