Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Watch "New FAA Drone Rules Coming

From what I am understanding, the hobbyist test will be "a greatly watered-down 107", no-cost, and on-line.
But, that's what I've heard through the grape-vine and NOT through any authoritative source.

Not sure how it can be authenticated if not at some cost-based testing center, though.

From what I am understanding, the hobbyist test will be "a greatly watered-down 107", no-cost, and on-line.
But, that's what I've heard through the grape-vine and NOT through any authoritative source.

Not sure how it can be authenticated if not at some cost-based testing center, though.

The infrastructure doesn't exist to test the of thousands of hobbyists in person so an online exam seems most practical. There are plenty of exams already given online despite the ability to cheat (if you're so inclined).

The AMA has been asked to craft the exam and will likely also be the administrator with FAA oversight. They will need to charge a fee to recoup their costs. If that pans out AMA will likely give discount to current members and credit to new members who join.

The AMA is our only unified voice and now the FAA has recognized them repeatedly as the hobbyist's representative. I joined today for that reason (and the included liability insurance)

The only part about this that I have a big quarrel with is that they will require me to pay for an AMA membership and extra for a certification test to in order to fly a $50 toy quadcopter via LOS in my own backyard just for kicks. Are they next going to require similar testing and certification for me to operate my toy RC rock crawler buggy too? I understand the need for a lot of this regulation for these drones but I do hope that they realize that it means that there will be even more rogue pilots out there after all is said and done?

I think big business has more to do with this than is being let on. They want to control the air space so amazon,Walmart and other will be the only drones in the air.

Reactions: graywoulf
The only part about this that I have a big quarrel with is that they will require me to pay for an AMA membership and extra for a certification test to in order to fly a $50 toy quadcopter via LOS in my own backyard just for kicks. Are they next going to require similar testing and certification for me to operate my toy RC rock crawler buggy too? I understand the need for a lot of this regulation for these drones but I do hope that they realize that it means that there will be even more rogue pilots out there after all is said and done?

The FAA doesn't have the manpower to chase you down in your own back yard with a toy drone as you described. They don't have the desire and they won't spend the money to do that.

The FAA will be automatically monitoring rogue pilots and issuing citations primarily using flight data of GPS enabled drones. Updated drone software will be required of manufacturers to allow this capability. Just like drivers who run red lights or toll booths they'll get a ticket in their mailbox. Except this ticket will have the authority of the federal government.

It sounds pretty ominous but it's already going on

Reactions: graywoulf
Does anyone know how the change from ATC notification, to now ATC authorization affects our ability to go out of our house and put the drone in the air with minimal regulatory fuss?

In other words, instead of instant notification provided by an app, now I have to receive actual authorization, say, in class C airspace even if I'm outside the 1.5 mile NFZ but still within 5 miles.

Previously, actual authorization was only required (in this scenario) if I was within 1.5 miles.
Now, "authorization" is extended to the full 5 miles.

I live 4 miles from any airport/heliport.

Previously I only had to notify through app.
Now, I have to get authorization.

Haven't flown for awhile, but does this now mean that I can't fly my bird, 4 miles away from any airport, waiting for DAYS to receive authorization?

Or is the authorization process relatively instantaneous like with notification.

Anyone know?

And will the DJI Go 4 app be updated to send a mandatory flight log to the FAA every time we fly our Spark? I don't mind useful regulations but having "Big Brother" looking over my shoulder at every flight would be a bit much. I hope it does not come to this. And another thing. I refuse to join the AMA just so I can fly my Spark in my back yard. I cannot afford the membership anyway. Again, I hope it does not come to this.

But driving a car after all said and done ( licenses, insurance, testing) you can drive anywhere but after all the regs. for drones you only be able to fly in the spaces provided by FAA

But isn't this more extreme?
Like ... "You're allowed to drive on the roads to work, but you must receive prior "authorization" EVERY time you go to and from work."

Probably a bad example, as a car is not a drone.

Look, I'm 4-miles from any airport/heliport.
I'm cool with app-notification to ATC.

But "authorization" at 4-miles away when my flight parameters are...
Less than 400 feet high and less than 400 feet distance (VLOS)...

Authorization seems excessive.

A knowledge test, to be reliable, cannot be done from everyone's house.

Even if the procedure is online, the "test" must take place in a certified center, otherwise someone could pass the test for his friends.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio