Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Water Crash Success Story

redsox93

Join
May 23, 2018
Loc
Toronto, Ontario
So a few weeks ago I let my friend's sister fly my spark up at their cottage. Within 30 seconds of handing her the controller, I turned my back for like 10 seconds and she ended up flying it into some tree branches along the shoreline. It hit some leaves and immediately dropped (maybe 15 feet) directly below into the lake. I made a run for it and managed to pull sparky out of maybe 1-1.5 feet of water right along the shore after about 30-40 seconds of it being completely submerged. Surprisingly, it was still on when I took it out. I immediately ripped the battery out and put it in some rice. I left it out in the sun, in the rice for 2 consecutive days, and then further let it dry (when I got back from the cottage) for another 4 days.

Eventually, I couldn't wait any longer and I had to see if it still worked. I put one of my other batteries in (that didn't get wet) and gave it a shot....it turned on and connected like nothing ever happened! Take-off and my first flight since being in the water went just as smooth! I was honestly a little shocked, but nonetheless super happy. Since then I've had 4 flights, 10 mins or longer that have all gone fine :)

I'm curious if there are any precautions I should consider taking? Also, I haven't put the battery that got wet back in sparky...it too was also in rice for 2 days, and it's been drying for like 3 weeks now. It still works (light turns on when I push the button) and it charges. Should I risk using this battery again? I know I can short circuit sparky if there's something wrong with the battery and I put it in. Is it fair to assume that if it charges without issue it should be okay to fly with?

Wow! Just WOW! I can't believe your Spark was undamaged! You live a charmed life. Maybe someone with more experience can advise you on the battery, but a battery is pretty simple. If it were me and the battery charged and seems ok, it is probably ok. Then again, maybe you shouldn't push your luck and just buy another battery.

Last edited:
So a few weeks ago I let my friend's sister fly my spark up at their cottage. Within 30 seconds of handing her the controller, I turned my back for like 10 seconds and she ended up flying it into some tree branches along the shoreline. It hit some leaves and immediately dropped (maybe 15 feet) directly below into the lake. I made a run for it and managed to pull sparky out of maybe 1-1.5 feet of water right along the shore after about 30-40 seconds of it being completely submerged. Surprisingly, it was still on when I took it out. I immediately ripped the battery out and put it in some rice. I left it out in the sun, in the rice for 2 consecutive days, and then further let it dry (when I got back from the cottage) for another 4 days.

Eventually, I couldn't wait any longer and I had to see if it still worked. I put one of my other batteries in (that didn't get wet) and gave it a shot....it turned on and connected like nothing ever happened! Take-off and my first flight since being in the water went just as smooth! I was honestly a little shocked, but nonetheless super happy. Since then I've had 4 flights, 10 mins or longer that have all gone fine :)

I'm curious if there are any precautions I should consider taking? Also, I haven't put the battery that got wet back in sparky...it too was also in rice for 2 days, and it's been drying for like 3 weeks now. It still works (light turns on when I push the button) and it charges. Should I risk using this battery again? I know I can short circuit sparky if there's something wrong with the battery and I put it in. Is it fair to assume that if it charges without issue it should be okay to fly with?

Batteries have much fewer components than the aircraft itself (even “smart” batteries). And batteries are fairly well sealed even though clearly not waterproof.

I would expect battery damage to be “all or nothing”. I think your assumption that if it charges fine then it’s okay to use is valid. If you see any erratic behavior or bulging better to dispose of immediately.

You dodged a bullet with that one!

So sorry that you have experienced this and really glad you’re drone is acting like nothing happened. Mine dropped into the Severn Estuary mud last year, so sinking that the RNLI have to use hovercrafts to rescue humans. I fished it out after an hour splatted in the yuky stuff and spent 4 hours carefully cleaning her. Long story short she did like yours did and fired up. I have completed at least a hundred flights since but having a few Gimbal Overload messages lately. So watch out for those. You should be OK as you don’t mention mud! Safer flying!

It took me hours and hours before I was comfortable with my drone. I don't let anyone else fly it.

I would take it apart and check for corrosion on the pcb's. It usually is a gradual corrosion. If it was fresh water, it's less likely to corrode though.

Reactions: DaysOfNoah
Wow, you're lucky. I had experienced similar and hit my drone with trees over a canal and it just drowned and couldn't recover. Water stream was fast and I think it drifted away till I went into canal to find.

After analysis, it is discovered that it was in ATTI mode while I was flying it outdoor and it should be in GPS. Above water it was misbehaving and I was getting it back when it just turned around and hit into trees.

After analysis, it is discovered that it was in ATTI mode while I was flying it outdoor and it should be in GPS. Above water it was misbehaving and I was getting it back when it just turned around and hit into trees.

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, sarbland.

When flying the Spark under the trees, there's a chance of losing the GPS signal as you are underneath something and low to the ground which makes it tough to triangulate with the satellites above.

Also, when flying close to water, the bottom sensors may not detect it as well and could lower itself into the water if not paying attention.

Be cautious and welcome to the Forum. ?

Reactions: twickers14
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, sarbland.

When flying the Spark under the trees, there's a chance of losing the GPS signal as you are underneath something and low to the ground which makes it tough to triangulate with the satellites above.

Also, when flying close to water, the bottom sensors may not detect it as well and could lower itself into the water if not paying attention.

Be cautious and welcome to the Forum. ?

Hi Dear,

Thank you for your reply. I was flying it for an year and I was over confident and took a risk which I shouldn't have. According to data, it actually didn't go to GPS which causes a serious issue. Yes, sensor doesn't detect ground above water and that is added further risk to flight.

Unfortunately, lost the drone and now looking for only Spark if anyone selling. Please refer if anyone interested to sell in US.

Thank you!

Glad to hear all was ok with your Spark! As Jeremy mentioned in post #6, fresh water is less likely to corrode. Very much so actually, this blurb explains why;

"Pure distilled water does not conduct electricity and will not damage most electrical equipment that is clean and free of debris. Tap water is not pure water because it mixes with polarized minerals as it makes its way through your pipe. These polarized minerals are what makes water conduct electricity. This is how water, causes most electronics to short.

Salt water, on the other hand, can be dangerous to electronics. This is due to the NaCI (Sodium chloride) creating a chemical bond with many surfaces. These bonds happen immediately upon wetting — resulting in a salt residue remaining long after the water is gone. Just one second of salt water exposure can have the same effects as all day salt water exposure. Over a period of weeks, months or even years, the salt left behind continues to corrode any susceptible, affected surface. The corrosion process continues until the salt residue is exhausted or the corroded surface is consumed."

Very illuminating thank you, but makes grim reading for people like me who have managed to splat their Spark down in tidal, salt water mud! She is still flying though and brining me tons of joy.

Reactions: RotorWash
I've seen several water crash stories and seen several successful water videos. So I'm wondering what causes the crashes? I understand hitting fish lines, branches, etc. Is it just loss of signal or GPS, flying too close to still water, if so, what's the minimum height above still water that is safe?

Reactions: RotorWash
I've seen several water crash stories and seen several successful water videos. So I'm wondering what causes the crashes? I understand hitting fish lines, branches, etc. Is it just loss of signal or GPS, flying too close to still water, if so, what's the minimum height above still water that is safe?
Interesting question, hopefully some more experienced pilots will chime in on the subject but for now here's some info I came across from a DJI Support Guide on their store website. How to Fly Safely Over Water - DJI Guides

"All DJI drones come equipped with VPS, a technology that maps the surface below to help position the drone. When flying over water, however, light reflecting off of the surface can cause issues with this technology. Because of this, it’s best to maintain a height of at least two meters above the water. If you have to fly below this height for a special shot, we recommend you turn off the VPS to avoid any unstable actions by the drone. Caution: When you disable the VPS of your aircraft and the distance between water surface and drone is smaller than 2 meters, you should fly the drone with a low speed in your FOV (field of view). Also, the height needs to be adjusted frequently since the aircraft could possibly drift downwards. Be aware that the minimum height has to be above 1 meter when flying over water."

From my own short experience I can confirm that the drone will drift downwards at times while near the surface of the water and I was flying mostly at or under 1m. By design (maybe can be modded, not sure) the VPS cannot be turned off in the Spark. Which doesn't mean you can't fly it low over water, just means if you going to do it, take extra precaution. I kept my left stick on the ready at all times and found it quite fun to do even though, admittedly, it's especially risky to attempt under 1m and not everyone would want or need to take that risk. On the same flight I had GPS lock at times and at times I didn't and I couldn't sense any noticeable difference in the way the craft operated while near the water's surface nor would I expect to as VPS was on the whole time.

Interesting question, hopefully some more experienced pilots will chime in on the subject but for now here's some info I came across from a DJI Support Guide on their store website. How to Fly Safely Over Water - DJI Guides

"All DJI drones come equipped with VPS, a technology that maps the surface below to help position the drone. When flying over water, however, light reflecting off of the surface can cause issues with this technology. Because of this, it’s best to maintain a height of at least two meters above the water. If you have to fly below this height for a special shot, we recommend you turn off the VPS to avoid any unstable actions by the drone. Caution: When you disable the VPS of your aircraft and the distance between water surface and drone is smaller than 2 meters, you should fly the drone with a low speed in your FOV (field of view). Also, the height needs to be adjusted frequently since the aircraft could possibly drift downwards. Be aware that the minimum height has to be above 1 meter when flying over water."

From my own short experience I can confirm that the drone will drift downwards at times while near the surface of the water and I was flying mostly at or under 1m. By design (maybe can be modded, not sure) the VPS cannot be turned off in the Spark. Which doesn't mean you can't fly it low over water, just means if you going to do it, take extra precaution. I kept my left stick on the ready at all times and found it quite fun to do even though, admittedly, it's especially risky to attempt under 1m and not everyone would want or need to take that risk. On the same flight I had GPS lock at times and at times I didn't and I couldn't sense any noticeable difference in the way the craft operated while near the water's surface nor would I expect to as VPS was on the whole time.
Thanks! What I expected, but good to get second opinions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit