Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

What app do you use for flight?

Gary Benzion

Join
May 1, 2018
This past weekend I dropped by the DJI retail store located at 1666 Broadway, NYC. This is not a corporate store but stocks a wide array of DJI drones and accessories. Beautiful store and nice helpful staff but I left a little confused about where it's ok to fly in the US. First off they suggested that I us the Hover app for flight restrictions. Hover uses Airmap and does not include any of the heliports that B4ufly reports. B4yfly tell me I need to contact 13 "airports" around my house, Hover only list major airport and local temporary restrictions. Second, I was told that if I fly only on my private property and stay under 400 feet I can fly regardless of restriction. Both these comments seem to me to be half truths.

So I'd like the community comments on the above as I am skeptable about the information I received.

Unfortunately, nobody really knows. Youll hear 5 different things from 5 different people. Youll see 5 different things on 5 different apps. You read info on a .gov website, only to be told the complete opposite via a .gov e-mail.

Best advice to you is, use common sense and don't do stupid s**t.

My best advice is avoid people. airports, sea-plane and helicopter launch sites. Get out into the country, fly where if you have a mishap, only the drone gets injured. And at the same time, you'll get some fresh air., that's a little rare in NYC! I am in Canada, we have different restrictions but similar in many ways. Dont fly in National Parks. We have whats called "Crown Land" much of which is rural and uninhabited. I think NY State may have some similar concept, where its not a "Park" but its not deeded to anyone either, that might be worth a look as a place to fly. I have Hover, Airmap, UAV forecast, FlightRadar24, and even the FAA app B4UFly.. I check them all to see whats around both in terms of restrictions and other aircraft.

Your rules in the US seem to be a little less clear, depending on why you are flying and the type of craft you fly too. I have to admit after reading about things stateside for a while, its confusing as hell.

I recently flew my Spark up to 155 feet, it gets really hard to see that little drone once its way up.. It would all but disappear at 400 I;m sure!

Good luck, but don't be discouraged. The main thing it to be safe, for both yourself, others on the ground and any passing aircraft overhead.

There are lots of weathered and tendured pilots here who can chime in with more accuracy than me.

It is confusing. But you are a smart guy and stay below 400 feet....
Helicopters cruising around will be at 500 feet and up, leaving 100 feet buffer. So let’s avoid helipads I.E hospitals, fire station or police stations equipped with helos.
As for airports, if we take a screenshot of an airplane landing at 400 feet, it should be at a distance of roughly 1.5 miles. Add a buffer, and let’s say that we should not fly within 2 miles of an airport.
Yes we still have to call to let the airport office know you will be there, but once again, if you create your own « BillyBob no fly zone » of at least 2 miles out of helipads and airports, it should keep everybody safer...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis