Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

What it looks like to fly with the DJI Goggles

Although I see this is the wrong aircraft for the Spark forum, I am still interested in whether the DJI Goggle flight(s) mentioned show up in the DJI Go 4 app? In other words are they properly synchronizing with other flight records after upload from the Goggles? I have 55 flights with the Spark/DJI Goggles and none of them show up in DJI Go 4, though all 55 show they have successfully uploaded to the DJI server through my PC and DJI Assistant 2!

I would really like to know what others have experienced with the DJI Goggle flight records? The problem is, if there is a fly away, or an accident, there is no way to prove who is at fault, the aircraft (DJI) or the pilot! In addition, there is no way to locate the aircraft on a fly away without the flight record!

This is likely not a problem with aircraft allowing the app to be open when flying with the Goggles (Mavic Pro, for example), but for the Spark (and I believe the Mavic Air?) DJI Go 4 immediately closes when the Goggles connect to the controller. All flight records are ONLY in the Goggles and must be synchronized to DJI's server through DJI Assistant 2.

Please share your experience regarding these issues if you operate the Spark, with the Goggles in particular. DJI has provided absolutely no clarification in this area and when they do say something they contradict themselves. I had an accident back in June and DJI could not find the flight record, even though the record was successfully uploaded (several times!). In addition, the Goggles were examined by DJI technicians and they still could not confirm they were able to get ANY of my 55 records off the Goggles nor were they able be evaluated by DJI, or anyone else. What is your experience?

Last edited:
Please share your experience regarding these issues if you operate the Spark, with the Goggles in particular. DJI has provided absolutely no clarification in this area and when they do say something they contradict themselves. I had an accident back in June and DJI could not find the flight record, even though the record was successfully uploaded (several times!). In addition, the Goggles were examined by DJI technicians and they still could not confirm they were able to get ANY of my 55 records off the Goggles nor were they able be evaluated by DJI, or anyone else. What is your experience?

I have successfully operated the goggles with the Spark, both as the primary operator and as a mirror so someone else could experience flying while I operated the drone. I need to check and see if there are flight records for the goggles when I flew the Spark with them.

I have successfully operated the goggles with the Spark, both as the primary operator and as a mirror so someone else could experience flying while I operated the drone. I need to check and see if there are flight records for the goggles when I flew the Spark with them.

Yes, please do! I would be very interested in what you find since I've had almost no response from Goggle flyers regarding what happens to flight records from the Goggles, particularly whether owners see these records synchronize, or not? I have the strong impression DJI is trying to hide, or ignore, this issue by stalling and pretending they don't know what I am talking about! This has gone on for months now and DJI has never been able to answer my questions clearly and concisely. I can't tell if it is on purpose or not? The lack of coherence in their response gives me the strong impression it is a problem they just don't want to deal with right now! When I try to get answers they drag things out, provide misinformation, pass the buck to some other support person, contradict themselves, and really give no answers at all!

In my latest attempt I sent DJI screenshots of every single flight record on my Goggles, all 55 of them, all successfully uploaded, as shown clearly in my screenshots. I asked DJI to confirm that even one of those records was on their server and could clearly demonstrate they are able to view and analyze them. So far they have not answered me! That tells you a lot!

hmmmm ..... it appears strangely enough as you said that there is no flight record when I flew the Spark with the goggles. Could that be because I used the ipad to initialize the Spark but then disconnected and connected the Goggles to remove the distance restriction?

Since I am a "hobbyist"flying under section 336 and have to fly VLOS would it be illegal for me to use goggles?

Since I am a "hobbyist"flying under section 336 and have to fly VLOS would it be illegal for me to use goggles?

You need to have someone with you that maintains VLOS with the drone when you fly with the goggles. I actually find it more enjoyable to let others experience the goggles while I fly.

You need to have someone with you that maintains VLOS with the drone when you fly with the goggles. I actually find it more enjoyable to let others experience the goggles while I fly.
I appreciate the response and love the idea of flying while others are wearing the goggles... Thanks

hmmmm ..... it appears strangely enough as you said that there is no flight record when I flew the Spark with the goggles. Could that be because I used the ipad to initialize the Spark but then disconnected and connected the Goggles to remove the distance restriction?

I can't speak to the Ipad's capabilities and whether you can have DJI Go 4 open while connected to the Goggles, but with my Android Samsung S9+, or with an older Samsung tablet, DJI Go 4 disconnects as soon as you turn on the Goggles while connected by cable to the controller. You can't have DJI Go 4 open at the same time the Goggles are connected to an Android device. This necessarily means that all flight records are recorded only in the Goggles on board memory and must be uploaded via a PC (in my case) using DJI Assistant 2 to supposedly synchronize with DJI's server.

Depending on who you talk to at DJI the Goggles flight records are supposed to synchronize with all other flight records and should be able to be seen in DJI Go 4, after they are uploaded/synchronized. Other support personnel say no, they do not actually show up in DJI Go 4! The proverbial right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing!

In my experience, not only do the Goggle flight records NOT actually synchronize with DJI Go 4, as near as I can tell, not even DJI can access those records! At least no one at DJI can confirm any of my 55 Goggle flight records show up anywhere on any DJI server. Thus what you see recorded in the Goggles, via DJI Assistant 2, is worthless! No one can view it, no one can analyze the record, won't help you find a fly away aircraft, won't help determine cause of a crash.

I am hoping more Spark Goggle users will share their experience. I like the Goggles and they work great, but you fly at your own risk, since the flight records in the Goggles are not accessible, as near as I can tell. At least no one at DJI has been able to prove to me they have any of the 55 records I uploaded successfully to their server.

I believe the Mavic Pro, because it uses a different DJI proprietary connection to the controller does not close DJI Go 4 out when the Goggles are connected. I believe a flight record is still recorded in DJI Go 4 and also in the Goggles, but to be honest, I don't really know this, since I don't own the Mavic Pro?

Flying the new Mavic Air on New Years Day. What it's like to fly with the DJI Goggles RE ...

yea um we cant get the expericnce it just looks like another video lol..

but i imagine its like.. heavinly.. meaning no glare ... clear picture.. god like

Reactions: Spark 317
I'm not flying with the Googles yet, but I'm thinking that maybe if you try to use Litchi and the FPV mode in the app maybe the flight records will be recorded and uploaded to airdata.com, at least its worth a try, and if you have not tried Litchi yet its a very good app with lots of opportunities that DJI does not provide for Spark, but only for the more expensive drones like Mavic and up...

There is a lot of data to see on Airdata.com, and just found out that there is many more functions that I did not know about, and DJI flight records can be uploaded using HD Sync app from Airdata UAV, The really cool thing about Litchi is also if you save a waypoint mission as KLM 3D it will open up in Google Earth Proand the yellow "wall" is the flight path seen from whatever angle you like to....very useful to check the route before taking off.

Not easy to be a enthusiastic drone pilot flying DJI ;-) Hope you find this useful.

Attachments

• Skærmbillede 2019-01-06 kl. 15.06.37.png
    Skærmbillede 2019-01-06 kl. 15.06.37.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • Skærmbillede 2019-01-06 kl. 15.06.03.png
    Skærmbillede 2019-01-06 kl. 15.06.03.png
    882.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Skærmbillede 2019-01-06 kl. 15.05.56.png
    Skærmbillede 2019-01-06 kl. 15.05.56.png
    941.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Skærmbillede 2019-01-06 kl. 15.05.32.png
    Skærmbillede 2019-01-06 kl. 15.05.32.png