Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

When to replace props?

H Jordan High

Join
Jul 24, 2017
After a learning curve / mishaps, my spark’s props no longer have a razors edge to them. When should I consider replacing with shiny and new, versus making due? Does it materially impact flight time, performance, or safety in any way if they don’t appear pristine? Intuitively it seems like it’d have to have some impact, but I don’t have a feel for how much impact that might be. FYI, They look fine except up close—no huge gashes or missing sections :)

When should I consider replacing with shiny and new, versus making due?
You should consider replacing the props in the following cases:
  • Either edge of the prop is damaged
  • The hub is damaged (carefully inspect the rivets too)
  • The prop struck the ground or an object

Reactions: Darren Roach
I use mine until they become damaged in some way. As long as they are undamaged they are good to use. I still have most of the original props on my uav's.

Buy two new sets, put one new set on and put the other new set in your bag as back up. They're not to expensive and a good deal in light of the expense of having a problem the hurts the aircraft. At the very least, the slight damage you're referring to has to unbalance the props causing unnecessary stress and vibrations on the shafts.
Also, remove your props and double check the little plastic tabs on the mounting plates. Twice now I've removed mine and for one of the tabs broken.
Good luck and keep flying your Spark, what a great little drone!

As others have said, examine them for damage and replace if necessary. Mine still looks great, but I keep a spare set or two with me. When it comes to "cheap" stuff like props, I'll change them out if there is even the slightest thing wrong with them. What a few bucks for a prop vs. $500 bucks for the drone if it crashes because of a prop failure...

After a learning curve / mishaps, my spark’s props no longer have a razors edge to them. When should I consider replacing with shiny and new, versus making due? Does it materially impact flight time, performance, or safety in any way if they don’t appear pristine? Intuitively it seems like it’d have to have some impact, but I don’t have a feel for how much impact that might be. FYI, They look fine except up close—no huge gashes or missing sections :)

On race quads, I replace them when they break or are giving me issues If I can bend them back in shape they are good for a few more minutes of fun. But race quads will crash most sessions, and if I lose a blade and the quad falls out of the sky it is not a problem.

With the Spark, I will try to straighten small bumps in the leading edge, possible sand it away. But anything that looks to have an impact on structural integrity will make me replace them. A crash with the Spark is likely to cost at least a gimbal, possible force me to buy another crashed quad for spare parts, og get a complete new unit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar