Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Where did you put your FAA ID?

bdee1

Join
Jul 26, 2018
I just registered my spark with the FAA and it says that you must display the ID they gave you somewhere on your drone. I am wondering how and where on your drone some of you have put that

8.jpg

I have a skin on my spark and the reg# would ruin the look. I'm glad the FAA allows you to put # in the battery compartment.

I took a silver Sharpie and wrote it on each of the props.

Just kidding, battery compartment for me.

I used my P-Touch labeler and made stickers with my FAA number and telephone number and placed one in the battery compartment as well as one of the same stickers on each battery.

I just registered my spark with the FAA and it says that you must display the ID they gave you somewhere on your drone. I am wondering how and where on your drone some of you have put that
I taped it inside the battery compartment.

i just loaded the B4UFLY app....after reviewing the FAA site. I have been flying illegally these past few weeks and didn't even know it. Look what this thread started! Getting a newby to do things right. I'm just within 5 miles of an airport so I have to notify them every time I plan to fly here at my home....which looks like it might take a whole minute or 2 so not a big deal. I had no idea. I get the warning on the DJI app saying to fly with caution, and i have kept it under 150'....so far.

So we MUST register Sparks with FAA? i thought I read somewhere they were under the required weight...Or do you guys just register to be safe? Which I am all about. Honestly, the Spark scares me a little bit because i do see the potential for disaster with it in the wrong hands or the wrong scenario. No doubt it could be a deadly weapon.

Has anyone ever had someone show up from the airport or FAA after notifying them via B4UFLY , or during a flight for any reason? Probably only if you do something real stupid, like fly above 400' near an airport.

Reactions: mano
So we MUST register Sparks with FAA? i thought I read somewhere they were under the required weight...Or do you guys just register to be safe? Which I am all about. Honestly, the Spark scares me a little bit because i do see the potential for disaster with it in the wrong hands or the wrong scenario. No doubt it could be a deadly weapon..

Yep, if it weight more than .55 pounds...which is 250g, it must be registered. And the Spark weighs 300g.

i just loaded the B4UFLY app....after reviewing the FAA site. I have been flying illegally these past few weeks and didn't even know it. Look what this thread started! Getting a newby to do things right. I'm just within 5 miles of an airport so I have to notify them every time I plan to fly here at my home....which looks like it might take a whole minute or 2 so not a big deal. I had no idea. I get the warning on the DJI app saying to fly with caution, and i have kept it under 150'....so far.

So we MUST register Sparks with FAA? i thought I read somewhere they were under the required weight...Or do you guys just register to be safe? Which I am all about. Honestly, the Spark scares me a little bit because i do see the potential for disaster with it in the wrong hands or the wrong scenario. No doubt it could be a deadly weapon.

Has anyone ever had someone show up from the airport or FAA after notifying them via B4UFLY , or during a flight for any reason? Probably only if you do something real stupid, like fly above 400' near an airport.

B4UFLY does NOT notify the airport, nor is it a proper notification.

I just registered it...Now for stickers...What a racket people have going on the stickers!. Phanton Help...$2...Ok that's more than reasonable...but $3 shipping is not. Where's that Sharpie! Yes, I am cheap!

Edited to say, after shopping around this is the best price I've seen for similar stickers.

Last edited:
Reactions: sparkplug
B4ufly just collects data. Doesn't notify anybody

Strange. I guess I am confused because on the B4UFly app, I get a warning saying "action required, you are within 5 miles of an airport, you must notify the airport operator and air traffic controller of your flight" and then below that is "data collection" asking how high you will fly, how far, and how long"

I assumed the app would notify the airport...See what happens when I ASSume.

So then what? I am supposed to call the airport air traffic controller ever time I fly at my home? If that's the case I doubt I'll be flying much any more....or possibly looking for a lighter drone.

I'm right on the line of the 5 mile airport limit too, in a totally remote farm country. My back yard is a 100 acre field. And the airport is substantially higher than I am.

Strange. I guess I am confused because on the B4UFly app, I get a warning saying "action required, you are within 5 miles of an airport, you must notify the airport operator and air traffic controller of your flight" and then below that is "data collection" asking how high you will fly, how far, and how long"

So then what? I am supposed to call the airport air traffic controller ever time I fly at my home? If that's the case I doubt I'll be flying much any more....or possibly looking for a lighter drone.

I'm right on the line of the 5 mile airport limit too, in a totally remote farm country. My back yard is a 100 acre field. And the airport is substantially higher than I am.
I live less than a mile away from the nearest airport. I know the frustration lol. But, you may request a waiver or authorization from the dronezone FAA website. Provide the info and make sure it's the appropriate request to ensure it's done correctly. You can also call if you have the info to the airport. It's honestly no big deal as long as you don't pose a threat to manned aircrafts or anyone below you.

I found a thread here with an MOA form.
I was lucky enough to get the towerless airport operator to sign it.
I can’t find the thread but I copied the basic form you need to reword.A81BAE2F-C920-431E-BE32-10740FCAFEB7.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502