Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

WTF DJI?... WTF!!?!?!@!?!!!! First Spark flyaway

This is the fourth reported occurrence I've read on this site where a Spark has suddenly taken off at a high rate of speed in a wide arc like a Helix maneuver. Something doesn't seem right.

This youtube video shows what many have experienced.

I agree with redrydermedia, something just doesn't seem quite right with the Spark. I have mixed feelings for the Spark. I hope that DJI comes clean and admits that there are issues, similar to what Litchi and Autopilot did after one of the firmware updates a couple months ago.

This youtube video shows what many have experienced.

I agree with redrydermedia, something just doesn't seem quite right with the Spark. I have mixed feelings for the Spark. I hope that DJI comes clean and admits that there are issues, similar to what Litchi and Autopilot did after one of the firmware updates a couple months ago.
This sounds like at least the fifth incident of Spark taking off in a wide arc like the Helix manuever. Same general story..... flying along and suddenly Spark takes off at a high rate of speed in a Helix like manuever. Thanks for sharing!

I wonder if others have experienced this same type of sudden, uncontrolled, take off in a wide arc similar to a Helix and just haven't reported it. If you have, please add your report to these so we can understand this behavior.

Also when it does it (compas error) the app pops up and says switch to atti mode... How? thats one thing the spark pilot does not have access to.. it needs adding ASAP

I couldn't find that you checked the Kp index before the flight?, i never fly with gps if Kp index is +4..??.
Maybe this could be an answer?..

Reactions: digata
It is nice people are trying to figure out what the problem could be, but instead of trying to find user error let's just admit that the Spark is a flawed product. I love it, but it has some serious issues.

Reactions: Glen e
It is nice people are trying to figure out what the problem could be, but instead of trying to find user error let's just admit that the Spark is a flawed product. I love it, but it has some serious issues.
Yeah, I think so....but before selling it I'll wait 60 days to see if we get any updates that clear up some of these current shortcomings......

I wanted to point to the YT "wide arc fly away" too. As it happened to the OP twice, but did not happen to many other users so far, I assume that a few units ship defect. Unfortunately, there currently only is a hard way to find out ...

As I side note to the OP ... afaik, it is illegal in Germany to fly a drone above 250g in an urban area like the space in front of the French cathedral. Or even a park populated with people. I wonder if the Spark could be modded to be under 250g ...

Is that a serious question or just sarcasm?

Have you been reading this thread? And most of the forum?
its not flawed.. yes there are bugs that need ironing out like all new tech.. but everything i have seen up to now could have been saved if the craft went into atti or atti was selectable.
Ive had a spark from day one and yes i have see all these problems myself but i just dont take a new product and take off and fly.. i do checks and see signs and land, reboot, recheck, dont panic, dont hit rth (asking for trouble like all have done) ive unpluged the app and just landed it as the app lies and lags on wireles.. the spark auto switches to opti with no gps.. so yes i feel sorry for all those that dont have a remote and have said from the start, id never trust a drone flying with just an app and mobile device. Im not saying these people are bad pilots or all pilot error, im just saying caution comes before rush, the spark is not a toy and it is early days..

Reactions: mcquoidd and JMR
its not flawed.. yes there are bugs that need ironing out like all new tech.. but everything i have seen up to now could have been saved if the craft went into atti or atti was selectable.
Ive had a spark from day one and yes i have see all these problems myself but i just dont take a new product and take off and fly.. i do checks and see signs and land, reboot, recheck, dont panic, dont hit rth (asking for trouble like all have done) ive unpluged the app and just landed it as the app lies and lags on wireles.. the spark auto switches to opti with no gps.. so yes i feel sorry for all those that dont have a remote and have said from the start, id never trust a drone flying with just an app and mobile device. Im not saying these people are bad pilots or all pilot error, im just saying caution comes before rush, the spark is not a toy and it is early days..
I agree with everything you said but your own statement - "yes there are bugs that need ironing out like all new tech" is the definition of flawed.

I agree with everything you said but your own statement - "yes there are bugs that need ironing out like all new tech" is the definition of flawed.
software bugs not hardware.. but yes i supose your right ;) they should admit this and work hard to correct as the spark aint no friendly first timer drone at the moment.. but i do love it and its fun factor.
I also have 4 small whip attachments that clip on like props.. i made 4 cool milk shakes at the same time and then went out to fly it

It was not pilot's error. Sadly, Sparks are capable of going haywire. It happened to me 4 days ago and that is despite both firmware and DJ Go app being of the very latest version. After launching from hand, my Spark drone ascended to 2m and the moment I hit yaw "button" on iPhone's screen, it started to accelerate rapidly following curved trajectory, before hitting the tree. I have reported incident to DJI and forwarded "black box" logs for review. Typically for DJI, no response as yet. After reading online that I am not alone with such problem, I am about to report the incident to authorities now.

Attachments

• IMG_4435.png
    IMG_4435.png
    2 MB · Views: 42
It was not pilot's error. Sadly, Sparks are capable of going haywire. It happened to me 4 days ago and that is despite both firmware and DJ Go app being of the very latest version. After launching from hand, my Spark drone ascended to 2m and the moment I hit yaw "button" on iPhone's screen, it started to accelerate rapidly following curved trajectory, before hitting the tree. I have reported incident to DJI and forwarded "black box" logs for review. Typically for DJI, no response as yet. After reading online that I am not alone with such problem, I am about to report the incident to authorities now.
not saying things dont go wrong and yes there is a problem. but launched from hand, near trees on take off.. do you have an image of the go app screen or looked in the logs? normally before the spark does this action and flys off in an arc the go app a strange thing and if you see it or saw it then do not fly it... restart and wait... this is what im saying to people check everything.. look at image and what do you see???
spark.jpg

Not quite, your original statement implies that the Spark as a thing is flawed, when in actual fact it may be that some units, as with all drones, malfunction. :)

now I've said that mine is bound to drop out of the sky!

I had a malfunction while filming fireworks .
The app crashed and gave me a screen I couldn't read because the spark was flying out of control upwards and I couldn't take my eyes off it.
It took all my skill to get it down .
Before this flight I was thinking about this thread and sure enough I didn't think about a csc.
Luckily it stayed close by as I tried to get it low enough to grab it and after a minute or two I did and was able to shut it down.
It's hard to prepare yourself for the unexpected.
I've had a flight were the screen with the box you have to check to fly came on six times in a row.
They range seems very poor .the feed goes in and out not even 500 feet away .I have a cable and have to experiment to find out which performs better.
Also my Samsung galaxy s7 crashes almost every flight .
I haven't updated to whatever firmware is available ,but will before my next flight, and from what I've read I'm not too optimistic.
At this point I'm only going to fly it at my spot where it's a wide open space until I can figure out what my next move will be.
I'm a little disappointed at the moment.
I believe they should have used their best video transmission system on the spark or made a better one .
One thing is for sure and that is the spark doesn't even come close to the mavic.
I know there's bugs with new technology and I'm optimistic that dji will correct the issues,at least let's hope so.
just my thoughts after 5 or so flights.
I wish I had more positive things to say.

I had a malfunction while filming fireworks .
The app crashed and gave me a screen I couldn't read because the spark was flying out of control upwards and I couldn't take my eyes off it.
It took all my skill to get it down .
Before this flight I was thinking about this thread and sure enough I didn't think about a csc.
Luckily it stayed close by as I tried to get it low enough to grab it and after a minute or two I did and was able to shut it down.
It's hard to prepare yourself for the unexpected.
I've had a flight were the screen with the box you have to check to fly came on six times in a row.
They range seems very poor .the feed goes in and out not even 500 feet away .I have a cable and have to experiment to find out which performs better.
Also my Samsung galaxy s7 crashes almost every flight .
I haven't updated to whatever firmware is available ,but will before my next flight, and from what I've read I'm not too optimistic.
At this point I'm only going to fly it at my spot where it's a wide open space until I can figure out what my next move will be.
I'm a little disappointed at the moment.
I believe they should have used their best video transmission system on the spark or made a better one .
One thing is for sure and that is the spark doesn't even come close to the mavic.
I know there's bugs with new technology and I'm optimistic that dji will correct the issues,at least let's hope so.
just my thoughts after 5 or so flights.
I wish I had more positive things to say.

Sorry to read about you issues. Make sure you always update firmware! Check to see if any other samsung owners are having issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh