Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Yesterday, I almost lost my Spark

Hello everyone. I almost lost my Spark too. It was cold, but the batteries were the right temp, and I wanted to get some shots before my hands got to be ice blocks. I was flying in a place where I had definitely flown before more than once. Then I got three messages, one right after the other...

*GPS Signal Weak
*Compass Error
*IMU

I immediately flew back to the landing point using the view from the cam. When I could see it again, I flew it visually, but it was not responding to the commands I was sending it from the controller.(Probably because it didn't have a functioning compass) Then, it just flew away. I was panicking by now. My I found it eventually, but the props were completely gone and the side of the gimbal was broken off. The wires to the camera were visible.

Thankfully I had bought DJI Care Refresh, so it could be replaced up to two times. I submitted a repair request, got a return label, and sent it back. They sent me email updates, and I got an invoice saying I got four props and a brand-new Spark. For some reason, the new drone was $270.00, but the props were regular price. Then it said, "Discount: (said price)" so I got four props and a new drone for free! The new drone flew beautifully, but I had to fly it outside just to make sure.

I still don't understand how I got the whole thing for free, because with DJI Care, you have to pay $49 or $59, depending on how many times you have replaced your drone. I didn't have to pay a cent.

Just wanted to share that.
See y'all later!

Reactions: nilanjan118
Hey Northwood. . .just curious. . when and where did you buy your Spark? I just got mine from Best Buy in December 2018. . .looked up my manufacture date: Model: Spark, build on: 15. July 2017. Should I be at all concerned that my Spark is already 1 1/2 years old on the day I bought it? Thanks :)

The wife bought if for me (yes, some would say thats a miracle! :p ) in May of 2018. She got it at OmniTechView . As for being concerned about the age of the device before you open the box, no, I would not, you'd have to have done all the firmware updates, sames as most electronics these days. Now if the box had been sitting open outdoors, that would be different! ;)

Yes, looks like you got a refurb.
Now I have found nothing wrong with them when you get a good one.
But I did have my first, a brand new, not getting a home lock worth a darn.
So it had to go to service.
On the other hip, I have had to return DJI Care Refresh exchanges.

But I am so confident in DJI refurbs that my first Mavic Air will be a refurb from DJI Direct.

I,ve been searching almost two months now searching still have its last known cordinates but mount taylor NM has some magenict interference it was on a mission should have had plenty of room but i saw it hit a dead branch a vear to the right the avoidence did not see it the snow has finally melted off but no sparky care refresh is over in march darn have lots of goodies for spark

Hi,

I'm sharing my yesterday's experience with my Spark because I think that it can be useful for another users.

Yesterday I went to the mountain and I wanted to take some pictures of a little church called "Ermita de Sant Joan".

After that, I went about 330 m to the East / North-Easth to take a far image of the Montserrat Monastery, then I started to receive messages about compass error... I tried to keep calm but I thought that my Spark would be added to the Flyaway Sparks list.

A few seconds later, the Spark entered in an automathic "Return to Home" mode. I tried to deactivate it (because I thought that If there was a compass error maybe the Spark wasn't able to return to home correctly, but, in my very nervous state I was clicking "cancel" when the app was asking me if I want to cancel the RTH). However, RTH worked ok and the noise of the Spark was increasing. Finally, I took manual control of it above my head and I landed it in a secure way.

I upload the log of this flight here:

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

What do you think about this issue? If I made a Calibrating Compass before the flight do you think that I would avoided the error?

I own my Spark for one year, approximately, but I don't have much time, so I have about 47 flights and about 6 hours of flight time but I made some home quadcopters before (DJI Naza, Gaui 330S...).

I don't understand a compass error in flight in a natural area without power lines or buildings or metallic objects near....

Any comment would be appreciate to avoid this issue in future flights...

Thank you in advance!!

Miquel

P.D.: Sorry for my bad English, it's not my own language...
I've learned that every time you change launch locations ,like if you drive some where to get a little closer ,you recalibrate you compass and if you don't your gimble could go wacky too

Hi,

I'm sharing my yesterday's experience with my Spark because I think that it can be useful for another users.

Yesterday I went to the mountain and I wanted to take some pictures of a little church called "Ermita de Sant Joan".

After that, I went about 330 m to the East / North-Easth to take a far image of the Montserrat Monastery, then I started to receive messages about compass error... I tried to keep calm but I thought that my Spark would be added to the Flyaway Sparks list.

A few seconds later, the Spark entered in an automathic "Return to Home" mode. I tried to deactivate it (because I thought that If there was a compass error maybe the Spark wasn't able to return to home correctly, but, in my very nervous state I was clicking "cancel" when the app was asking me if I want to cancel the RTH). However, RTH worked ok and the noise of the Spark was increasing. Finally, I took manual control of it above my head and I landed it in a secure way.

I upload the log of this flight here:

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

What do you think about this issue? If I made a Calibrating Compass before the flight do you think that I would avoided the error?

I own my Spark for one year, approximately, but I don't have much time, so I have about 47 flights and about 6 hours of flight time but I made some home quadcopters before (DJI Naza, Gaui 330S...).

I don't understand a compass error in flight in a natural area without power lines or buildings or metallic objects near....

Any comment would be appreciate to avoid this issue in future flights...

Thank you in advance!!

Miquel

P.D.: Sorry for my bad English, it's not my own language...

Glad that you didn't really lose your Spark! It could be that there may have been some sort of iron or metal based minerals in the area - that can affect the compass. You said you were near a mountain. That's the only thing that I can think of other than a software glitch. Your english is perfect by the way! Have a good day!!!

I've learned that every time you change launch locations ,like if you drive some where to get a little closer ,you recalibrate you compass and if you don't your gimble could go wacky too
It's not true.

We have to calibrate compass, only if we are prompted to do so, and even if that prompt don't go away, if we move spark to a different position.

Reactions: Andre Levite
While the ability to track the location of your drone in the event of a flyaway or crash landing is great, it isn't the only reason to consider GPS for your drone. GPS can be used to establish GEO fences or perimeters and to notify you, via text alert or email, whenever your drone flies beyond its designated area.

This is why we need trackers and I suggest trackimo it's cheap and really effective.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh