Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Surfnut

Join
Feb 23, 2019
Finally got my bird up yesterday,and what a gorgeous day for it!:) Quite pleased with the footage, I’m still figuring things out, but I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience? I’ve uploaded plenty of vids to YT in the past and never been happy with how it seems to compress them. Anyway, I d settled on MP4 as a happy medium. Vid looked great on the desktop, but when it finished publishing in YT In had been switched upside down! You can no longer put that right within YT either, so I had to start again. Tried Wmv. Too soft. Tried Avi. Still soft. I’ve given up and gone with Wmv I think it was for now... What do others find works best for them? The vids here:

Just the right amount of fog to enhance the forest.

Thanks for sharing.:)

Reactions: Surfnut
One query tho, as I was flying it, although the additional flight modes icon was there and they appeared when I clicked on it, i was unable to acces Tripod or the Follow me one? Is it because I’m in Beginner mode still, or is there something else I’m missing? Sorry for so many questions, but it came with no instructions, so I only know what I can fnd online or asking more experienced pilots...

Yes, beginner mode will cause that.
Love the misty forest!

I use MP4 with h.264 codec on Wondershare Filmora as my export settings. One thing I noticed in your video is that the highest resolution available is only 720p. Usually YouTube takes some time to process the video even after it is published and all the versions (different resolutions) are not available right after publishing.

I use MP4 with h.264 codec on Wondershare Filmora as my export settings. One thing I noticed in your video is that the highest resolution available is only 720p. Usually YouTube takes some time to process the video even after it is published and all the versions (different resolutions) are not available right after publishing.
Wow thanks Nilanjan. I didn’t know that. I’m mystified by it tbh. I selected 1080 by 720 so why it’s only 720 I don’t understand. Are you suggesting i leave it for an extra say hour before posting, because the resolution will improve?

Lots of..... well, woods. The best thing is the management of the craft. As your first effort you had plenty of confidence and skill. Only wish I had that for my first flight. Some nice highlighting from the sun behind the trees and the Spark dealt with these contrast really well. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks a lot Twickers. I don’t want to mislead people here tho. I’m a complete newbie to the Spark but not to drones, I used to have a Phantom P3, but I haven’t flown for over a year, and when I came to sell it, it was embarrassing how badly I controlled it, and how much I d forgotten. You won’t be seeing any high up shots from me, as I’m terrified of losing her to a fly away, and feel comically nervous so far when I’m out with her :) I’m loving learning with the Spark tho, and to be honest, that vids exactly why I sold the P3 and bought the Spark. I d never have attempted to do that with the bigger one. There seems to be a whole lot more to learn with the Spark, but I’m loving it... I made the right choice...

Reactions: McCloudSpark
I selected 1080 by 720 so why it’s only 720 I don’t understand. Are you suggesting i leave it for an extra say hour before posting, because the resolution will improve?
Hello Surfnut, in standard 16:9 aspect ratio, 720p means 1280X720 pixel resolution and 1080p means 1980X1080 pixel resolution, which the Spark shoots at. What I was trying to say is that when you upload a full HD video (1080p) on YouTube, it gets processed and stored in their server in different resolutions, which you can select from the settings on YouTube player. But all the resolutions are not available right after publishing. I can tell from my own experience that the highest resolution available right after publishing is 360p. However, your video still shows highest resolution of 720p. So I think you should check what export settings you are using in your video editor.

Untitled.png

Thanks a lot Twickers. I don’t want to mislead people here tho. I’m a complete newbie to the Spark but not to drones, I used to have a Phantom P3, but I haven’t flown for over a year, and when I came to sell it, it was embarrassing how badly I controlled it, and how much I d forgotten. You won’t be seeing any high up shots from me, as I’m terrified of losing her to a fly away, and feel comically nervous so far when I’m out with her :) I’m loving learning with the Spark tho, and to be honest, that vids exactly why I sold the P3 and bought the Spark. I d never have attempted to do that with the bigger one. There seems to be a whole lot more to learn with the Spark, but I’m loving it... I made the right choice...
Thanks for the reveal! You’ll be fine up aloft and with your innate skills should help you to start to capture some gem footage. Bon chance.

Hello Surfnut, in standard 16:9 aspect ratio, 720p means 1280X720 pixel resolution and 1080p means 1980X1080 pixel resolution, which the Spark shoots at. What I was trying to say is that when you upload a full HD video (1080p) on YouTube, it gets processed and stored in their server in different resolutions, which you can select from the settings on YouTube player. But all the resolutions are not available right after publishing. I can tell from my own experience that the highest resolution available right after publishing is 360p. However, your video still shows highest resolution of 720p. So I think you should check what export settings you are using in your video editor.

View attachment 9059
Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation on that

View attachment 9059

Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation on that
Wow. Thanks for the detailed breakdown Nilanjan. I’ve been having problems exporting from my usual editor Powerdirector, so I’ve just been clicking upload from within YT. Maybe I’m saving it in the wrong format tho in PD. I really haven’t got a clue what I’m doing in that, I’ve just been trying to ensure it was uploading in HD?

One query tho, as I was flying it, although the additional flight modes icon was there and they appeared when I clicked on it, i was unable to acces Tripod or the Follow me one? Is it because I’m in Beginner mode still, or is there something else I’m missing? Sorry for so many questions, but it came with no instructions, so I only know what I can fnd online or asking more experienced pilots...
Did you know that you can get the full instruction manual for the spark on the DJI website?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme