Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Abandoned Powerhouse in North Geelong

MickDoesStuff

Join
Nov 12, 2019
The old Powerhouse in North Geelong that is no longer in operation.
Powerhouse Geelong.jpg

Walking and drone tour video of this building below if you're interested. The drone was doing something weird this day where it wouldn't fly upwards and was making an alert noise not sure what was going on there and assumed it was something to do with being inside, was my first and only time flying the drone inside.

Some very talented graffiti artists. How did they do some of those very high murals?

The guy that bought it lets them do it so I assume they bring in equipment to do it. He opened it up to the public for a little while as well. He also bought an old Malthouse which he allows people to come and do street art at as well.

The drone was doing something weird this day where it wouldn't fly upwards and was making an alert noise not sure what was going on there and assumed it was something to do with being inside, was my first and only time flying the drone inside.

Yes, it happened because you were inside and the GPS signal was weak. When the GPS signal is weak and you are low to the ground, the AC enters OPTI mode. The AC uses the optical sensors (bottom sensors) to maintain its position. Height is restricted to 16 feet (~5m) in this mode.

Yes, it happened because you were inside and the GPS signal was weak. When the GPS signal is weak and you are low to the ground, the AC enters OPTI mode. The AC uses the optical sensors (bottom sensors) to maintain its position. Height is restricted to 16 feet (~5m) in this mode.

Ah ok thanks mate that explains it. Any way to get around this or boost the GPS signal? Artificial GPS?

Ah ok thanks mate that explains it. Any way to get around this or boost the GPS signal? Artificial GPS?

Not a good idea mate. I will advise you not to try it. You do get a height limit of 30m in Atti mode (weak GPS and optical sensors inactive) but the AC will not be able to hold its position in this mode. Atti mode is usually activated when you are flying in P-mode at a height of more than 7m and the GPS reception suddenly drops. I am not sure how you can activate this mode after taking off indoors.

Not a good idea mate. I will advise you not to try it. You do get a height limit of 30m in Atti mode (weak GPS and optical sensors inactive) but the AC will not be able to hold its position in this mode. Atti mode is usually activated when you are flying in P-mode at a height of more than 7m and the GPS reception suddenly drops. I am not sure how you can activate this mode after taking off indoors.

Fair enough, just seemed silly that I was right next to the drone (within 20-30 metres at all times) with my controller and had a hard time moving it around due to whatever was beeping, would be nice if it could be turned off but like I said was the only time I've ever flown inside anyway.

Another bit of advice, you are inside a concrete building that has rebar embedded.

This metal structure in the walls, floors, and possibly the ceiling may cause compass errors as well.

Wow, I've seen a lot of street art before but never so much in and on one structure. Pretty magnificent really. Thanks for taking the time and effort to capture it for us Mick. Sincerely appreciate it. ?

Reactions: MickDoesStuff
Wow, I've seen a lot of street art before but never so much in and on one structure. Pretty magnificent really. Thanks for taking the time and effort to capture it for us Mick. Sincerely appreciate it. ?

Yeah it's quite impressive in size, everywhere you look some type of street art. No probs Joe.

How to overcome 5m height limit while flying indoors?
Found an answer to this question while replying in another thread.
Disable VPS sensors by using Litchi app. Get a height limit of 30m instead of 5m. Should be enough for flying indoors.

Caution: Be careful while landing as the drone will not slow down on its own when the VPS sensors are inactive.

Disable VPS sensors by using Litchi app. Get a height limit of 30m instead of 5m. Should be enough for flying indoors.

Caution: Be careful while landing as the drone will not slow down on its own when the VPS sensors are inactive.
Could you activate the sensor when you're done filming as your getting ready to return?

Could you activate the sensor when you're done filming as your getting ready to return?
You have to force stop Go4, start Litchi and hope that the app connects while the drone is still in the air.
I would rather hand catch the drone and hold the left stick on the RC downward to shut off the motors.

Reactions: I B Spectre
You have to force stop Go4, start Litchi and hope that the app connects while the drone is still in the air.
I would rather hand catch the drone and hold the left stick on the RC downward to shut off the motors.
Good point. When I have catch the Spark I just turn it upside down to shut it off.

Reactions: nilanjan118

Thanks mate, might give it a go sometime if in need.

Yeah, just gotta keep an eye out for security :)

But you're not trespassing. ;)

You are an "urban explorer" that is documenting history to share with others.?

Reactions: RotorWash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme