Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Advantages of GPS in controller

endure

Join
Feb 25, 2019
Apologies if this is a silly question. I've googled and searched but can't find an answer to my question.

If I buy a Spark is there any advantage to the phone/tablet that I use having GPS built into it as well as that in the Spark?

Most phones have GPS built in but a lot of tablets don't.

Would I be missing out on anything if I bought a tablet without GPS in it?

TIA

Apologies if this is a silly question. I've googled and searched but can't find an answer to my question.

If I buy a Spark is there any advantage to the phone/tablet that I use having GPS built into it as well as that in the Spark?

Most phones have GPS built in but a lot of tablets don't.

Would I be missing out on anything if I bought a tablet without GPS in it?

TIA

GPS needed for live maps. Without GPS you must use cached maps. Many threads about how to use cached maps by searching this forum or YouTube.

Reactions: endure
as well as use the "Find my drone" option, and
the DJI Go 4 app knowing where is the RC , you
can reset home point if you changed of position
while flying.

GPS in the FPV device puts you on the map along with the Spark, and what dat1 said :)

GPS needed for live maps. Without GPS you must use cached maps. Many threads about how to use cached maps by searching this forum or YouTube.
A bit confused with this reply. So just for the sake of clarification.
Is GPS on the mobile device enough to get LIVE maps?
I thought we needed data connection/mobile internet on the mobile device to get live maps.

A bit confused with this reply. So just for the sake of clarification.
Is GPS on the mobile device enough to get LIVE maps?
I thought we needed data connection/mobile internet on the mobile device to get live maps.

The OP asked "what if the advantage of a tablet with GPS (compared to no GPS)?"

Answers were:
  1. Live Maps instead of cached maps
  2. Find My Drone
Cellular data connection is a given for live maps -- but that wasn't the question that he asked.

The OP asked "what if the advantage of a tablet with GPS (compared to no GPS)?"

Answers were:
  1. Live Maps instead of cached maps
  2. Find My Drone
Cellular data connection is a given for live maps -- but that wasn't the question that he asked.

Looks like I was not able to explain my confusion properly. So let me rephrase.
I don't think a mobile device needs to have GPS to get Live Maps instead of cached maps.
It only needs to have Cellular data connection.

So to answer the OP question, 2. Find My Drone is correct.
The other advantage is mentioned in post #3. You can reset home point according to the co-ordinates of the mobile device in case you change your position from the take-off point, which is the default home point.

In a few words, if you use a tablet, only for flying Spark, GPS is not so important.

Yes GPS are highly advantageous for drones

Dropping a GPS module into a drone made for an easy method to assist pilots with steady flight. Accurate global positioning wasn’t just reported back to the remote, it helped navigate the drone. This is how most current drones hold a solid hover, they lock onto a fairly precise GPS position and fly themselves back to that spot if they drift out of place.

Sticking to a designated height or ensuring you don’t accidentally fly above the 400 foot mark are also functions of GPS. Altitude hold is an important function, I dare say that holding a steady height is the hardest thing to do when you fly manually.

Yes GPS are highly advantageous for drones

Dropping a GPS module into a drone made for an easy method to assist pilots with steady flight. Accurate global positioning wasn’t just reported back to the remote, it helped navigate the drone. This is how most current drones hold a solid hover, they lock onto a fairly precise GPS position and fly themselves back to that spot if they drift out of place.

Sticking to a designated height or ensuring you don’t accidentally fly above the 400 foot mark are also functions of GPS. Altitude hold is an important function, I dare say that holding a steady height is the hardest thing to do when you fly manually.
Very good point, but we're talking about GPS in a TABLET.

Looks like I was not able to explain my confusion properly. So let me rephrase.
I don't think a mobile device needs to have GPS to get Live Maps instead of cached maps.
It only needs to have Cellular data connection.

So to answer the OP question, 2. Find My Drone is correct.
The other advantage is mentioned in post #3. You can reset home point according to the co-ordinates of the mobile device in case you change your position from the take-off point, which is the default home point.

Many pilots, including myself, fly exclusively in Airplane Mode (cellular/wifi data off, GPS on) yet I seem to always have the relevant maps to my new location.

Gosh - Is this clear yet?
Cellular capability (without installing a SIM card) gives you GPS but only works with cached maps.
Installing a SIM card and activating it with a service provider gives you live maps.

Reactions: nilanjan118
Cellular capability (without installing a SIM card) gives you GPS but only works with cached maps.
Installing a SIM card and activating it with a service provider gives you live maps.

That's an interesting answer but...

The OP was asking about the functional limits of a tablet without GPS (and no mention of cellular capability either). Most inexpensive tablets don't have the option of a SIM card and can only get data via wifi

Not sure anybody (including myself) explained the limits of tablet with no GPS and no data/cellular connection.

Can we all agree....?
No Find My Drone feature
No RTH for device location
No live maps

Are you talking about a particular make of tablet? There are Android tablets (e.g Lenovo Tab 4 range) that don't have cellular capability but which do have GPS built in.

That's an interesting answer but...

The OP was asking about the functional limits of a tablet without GPS (and no mention of cellular capability either). Most inexpensive tablets don't have the option of a SIM card and can only get data via wifi

Not sure anybody (including myself) explained the limits of tablet with no GPS and no data/cellular connection.

Can we all agree....?
No Find My Drone feature
No RTH for device location
No live maps
I don't agree, actually.

GPS itself, has nothing to do with live maps.

Only iPads have GPS with cellular connectivity, on one single circuit.

Even with an iPad, you can have live maps (if you connect to a WiFi hotspot), without having GPS.

I don't agree, actually.

GPS itself, has nothing to do with live maps.

Only iPads have GPS with cellular connectivity, on one single circuit.

Even with an iPad, you can have live maps (if you connect to a WiFi hotspot), without having GPS.

You misunderstood my post. I simply stated that tablets with no data connection and no GPS have no live maps. Nothing more - nothing less.

You misunderstood my post. I simply stated that tablets with no data connection and no GPS have no live maps. Nothing more - nothing less.
Ok, let's clarify it:

• All android tablets, capable to run go4, have GPS receiver built in.
  • iPads with cellular, have GPS also.

- Only iPads without cellular, don't have a GPS module.
THIS is the case we are talking about.

If someone has an iPad without GPS, he cannot:
-set operator's position, as a home point.
-use "follow me", if he owns a MP.
-use "dynamic hp" of MP, also.

-Maps can be cached before flight.
If someone wants online maps, he can connect to a WiFi hotspot (ie his smartphone).

-"Find my drone" works even with a non-gps iPad.

As we can see, a Spark operator doesn't need a GPS iPad, except if he wants to change home point (ie flying from a boat).

The GPS in device connected to RC has the main advantage in ability of using Dynamic Homepoint function.

The other advantage is having the device wih compass since then you can use the radar to determine orientation of drone against the direction the RC is facing (very useful when the video transmission drops out).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme