Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Advice on ND Filters!!

hpack

Join
Aug 7, 2017
What is your go-to ND filter or polarizer?
ND8 or ND 16 or ND32
ND8/PL or ND 16/PL

If you had to choose the one you use the most or could only afford to buy just one, which one would you pick??

It will depend on your typical weather situation. Mainly sunny? mainly cloudy? In Australia I am always using the 16 and 32 on my phantom. Looking for filters now atm for the Spark and the PolarPros are out of stock so maybe the Freewells. Though good filters are expensive. Try not to skimp. Don't know if you can buy just one though. Let me know where if you do.

Also it depend if you intend to do mainly photography (ND not needed, PL eventually) or video (ND/PL would be nice but you will have to use video in manual mode to benefit of ND).

Wouldnt it really depends highly on the amount of light on that particular time?
I know that the goal is to set the shutter at double the amount of fps.
So spark is taking 30fps, so you should aim to have around 1/60 shutter speed. Prolly 1/50 will be ok too. This is to get that cinematic effect, too high shutter speed, image will be jittery.
(I havent looked into the spark setting yet, can you change shutter speed to 1/60?? can you change any video setting at all? haha)
But by having that shutter speed, in bright day light, it will be very over exposed (too bright), thus you need ND filter to "darken" it.
At least thats how the theory goes.
So I would say that it is not so recommended to get 1 ND filter since your situation might need something different.
But if you really have to and will only take 1, then probably the one in the middle range? ND16?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers