Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

AIRLINE TRAVEL WITH SPARK

Itsjustbob

Join
Dec 17, 2018
From everything I have read there seems to be no trouble packing the Spark in a carry on bad. I plan on having a batter installed and two spares. Has anyone had any trouble with TSA. This will be a domestic US flight on Southwest Air

Batteries should NOT be installed in aircraft when carrying on - all batteries should be carried loosely. To avoid hassle I cover metal contacts with electrical tape. Put each battery in zip lock bag so they can't come in direct contact. I don't want to give them any excuse to question or confiscate. The aircraft can go in checked bag or carry-on (same for remote).

Here is link: FAA and individual airline regulations

Individual airlines are permitted to impose stricter guidelines than FAA at their discretion

Reactions: Itsjustbob
I flew SouthWest and had 1 battery installed on the spark and 4 more in the bag... no one questioned it. And the TSA doesn't care which airline you are on...They just wanted it out of my back pack (still in the spark carrying case) so they could see everything when they x-rayed it... no problems.

My Spark has never been requested to be exposed by any security team x-ray. Including aboard the Disney Dream

My Chroma on the other hand, well we both got the full Monty on those flights departing and returning.

Oh and mostly they know nothing of maH, etc. The first flight with the Spark I announced I was carrying a UAS and the reply was “What is that?” They still didn’t want to see it.

I just traveled to Jamaica with my Spark. (Delta) I had it in its own carrying case and put ALL 3 of the batteries in fireproof bags for safety. Make sure your batteries are hand-CARRIED onboard and not CHECKED-in. (down below/cargo) If you are flying on a plane where they may make you GATE CHECK your carry-on bag. (IE...small planes/full overhead bins), ensure you can easily grab your batteries out and carry them with you to your seat. Most airlines have a size/number of batteries that you can carry. Check airline beforehand, each has their own rules.

TSA never once hassled me or asked me to remove anything. I went through security at GFK, JFK, MBJ, ATL with no problems.

I
I flew SouthWest and had 1 battery installed on the spark and 4 more in the bag... no one questioned it. And the TSA doesn't care which airline you are on...They just wanted it out of my back pack (still in the spark carrying case) so they could see everything when they x-rayed it... no problems.

I take mine out and have no problem with drone & battery in carry on

I've traveled by air with the Spark in my backpack many times...never questioned about it...never asked to even take it out of my backpack...I travel, as usual, with one battery IN the Spark, and two more on each side (I have the "Fly More" case).

I don't believe there is any harm or risk with the battery IN the Spark, and I don't think the FAA or anyone else cares, or else they be asking us to take as many batteries as possible out of phones, cameras, laptops, tablets, etc etc.

Sparkee has been through many TSA check points with out issue! Have a great holiday!!!

I've traveled by air with the Spark in my backpack many times...never questioned about it...never asked to even take it out of my backpack...I travel, as usual, with one battery IN the Spark, and two more on each side (I have the "Fly More" case).

I don't believe there is any harm or risk with the battery IN the Spark, and I don't think the FAA or anyone else cares, or else they be asking us to take as many batteries as possible out of phones, cameras, laptops, tablets, etc etc.

Your post includes several common misconceptions regarding lithium polymer batteries as carry-on items. You have gotten thru TSA successfully despite violation of the rules but it is irresponsible to encourage others to do so. The FAA (and your flight crew) care very much that you know and follow the rules:

FAA Battery Regulations

You must take all steps to avoid accidental activation - that includes removing batteries when possible from devices that could heat up. Non-removable batteries of sufficiently small size are exempt from this rule (ex. cell phone, DJI remote). They also specifically require you take steps to prevent short circuit of loose batteries. It's all spelled out in the regulations.

Your fellow passengers are hoping you will actually read the rules and follow them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast