Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Alternative App

jurgens26

Join
Feb 20, 2018
Hi all,

Was wondering if any of you tried the Aero Ranger app. That is still in Beta mode but it has a lot more functionality that the DJI GO 4 app. They might be on to something good.

If anyone keen to check it out here is the link. Unfortunately it appears to be only on Android

www.aeroranger.com

Spark seem to be partially supported (no waypoint mission)

Last edited:
It support Spark in the following;
Area Scan
Panorama
VR 360
Linear Scan
Hyperlapse
Patrol (Waypoints sort of but at set height all the way through)
Building Scan
Structure Scan
Orbit

Didn't tested the app in flight, but did a quick peek wkthout connecting to the drone, and this is what I've found. If RAW works, well **** this could be a winner. Screenshot_2018-04-17-13-56-01-146_com.aeroranger.beta.air.png

Reactions: Frank
Agree, If RAW can work that would be awesome. I will try and hook it up today to see if I can snap RAW images.
Double agree. If RAW works this would be a game changer. Many have said the hardware should support RAW, so it appears this has been a limitation DJI has placed on it.

I'll have to try this weekend

I will see if I can hook it up now quickly and take a couple of snaps. Wont take it up, just on the ground with no props running. Stay tuned....

Mixed results....
I installed the app yesterday evening but couldn't reach the server to setup my account. I eventually managed but it was too late to try anything more.

This morning I could start the app after logging in but didn't have time to connect to the Spark.

I just tried again. At first I couldn't reach the server to login but it worked after a second attempt - I hope this login requirement changes otherwise I will have to login before I leave home as I use a tablet without phone function.

Once I connected tothe Spark-RC WiFi it showed the Spark detials quite quickly (and didn't complain about no internet). The interface looks promising. I could change the image format to RAW but couldn't see how to take a picture (or video). I tried the button on the RC but that just beeped. There is a function bottom left (Image Tag) that could be for capture but it only works when flying. After reconnecting with DJI GO there were no new pictures. It would be very nice of that worked.

Anyone else have more luck?

Mixed results....
I installed the app yesterday evening but couldn't reach the server to setup my account. I eventually managed but it was too late to try anything more.

This morning I could start the app after logging in but didn't have time to connect to the Spark.

I just tried again. At first I couldn't reach the server to login but it worked after a second attempt - I hope this login requirement changes otherwise I will have to login before I leave home as I use a tablet without phone function.

Once I connected tothe Spark-RC WiFi it showed the Spark detials quite quickly (and didn't complain about no internet). The interface looks promising. I could change the image format to RAW but couldn't see how to take a picture (or video). I tried the button on the RC but that just beeped. There is a function bottom left (Image Tag) that could be for capture but it only works when flying. After reconnecting with DJI GO there were no new pictures. It would be very nice of that worked.

Anyone else have more luck?
I had roughly the same issue last night. I have no problem connecting to the app so for that part im happy. But I also could not find the area where you can snap photos. Photos (at this stage) can only be taken in flight as part of an activity it seems. Would have to set up a brief mission to take snaps and see if it RAW or not. Keep in mind it only in Beta so hopefully they add a photo button or use the RC button to snap photos.

I’m inclined to think that even though the “RAW” option is available in the App it will not function with the Spark as this is dictated by the Spark’s own firmware. However I really would love to be proven wrong as RAW capability in the Spark’s arsenal would be a major highlight for 2018.

Ok so ran it yesterday. Was only able to snap pics using the image tag system as described by Pinthenet above. I managed to use POI to take the pic. Now the problem I have is I have no idea where it is stored as I cant find the pics ANYWHERE.

Hi Guys, I am a developer with Aero Ranger and came across your post. Great that you are trying our app, we are always keen to get feedback. There was a major update released a few days ago that gives more functionality, too.

The app has mainly been designed tested with the Mavic Pro, Mavic Air, M200 and Phantom range, as many functions rely on waypoint flying, which the Spark does not support. That means most of the missions won't work (Area Scan, Panorama etc) on the Spark. Of course there is nothing stopping you using the app and flying manually.

The new version gives you a lot more DJI GO style camera controls if you expand the live view window to full sized (that's now the initial default in our app). Even so, it appears that RAW is not supported by the Spark, we weren't aware of that until recently. The switch will be disabled for the Spark in future versions as it doesn't actually do anything!

We are working on a new mission style, which will allow some functionality for the spark (eg. for panoramas)

The image tag system you discovered works a bit differently. It doesn't take a photo, just scrapes an image from the live view and synchronises it with our cloud. That's why there was no photo to find. It's designed for inspections of buildings etc. Your app login details will work at the cloud Aero Ranger Cloud if you want to take a look. You can see your tagged images there.

It should also be possible to take a photo in the normal way using the button on your RC controller or the on screen button on the new version of the app when the live view is full screen.

BTW I think your login issues were due to some back end problems we were having around that time. We have since fixed those. It should be possible to log in to the app once and not need to log in again, it will remember your details and log you in automatically next time.

Hope you enjoy the software

Regards
James

Reactions: Haggi

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme