Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Altitude issue on rising elevation

MatthewS

Join
Sep 28, 2018
While flying at the set height limit the drone seems incapable of increasing altitude when the ground rises significantly. At a 120m limit it won't rise even when the ground rises to 5m below the aircraft.

Set your maximum height to a higher level and reset when on flat terrain.

Thats what I do. I actually set my limit at the max over the highest point on my property, which is 40 meters higher than where I usually launch from.... Its up to me to watch I am keeping to the AGL limit when I am not over that high ground.. no biggie really.

I believe the altitude is always measured relative to the home point by barometric pressure sensing. I don't think the spark has the capability to measure the altitude of the ground beneath it other then the optical sensing for obstacle avoidance and landing.

I believe the altitude is always measured relative to the home point by barometric pressure sensing. I don't think the spark has the capability to measure the altitude of the ground beneath it other then the optical sensing for obstacle avoidance and landing.

This is correct. Thats why you have to take elevation of the ground into consideration if you are flying in hilly or varying topography. The pilot's brain has to be the altimeter by reading the Go app's metrics and adjusting accordingly.

Reactions: Spark 317
I live and do most of my flying in the mountains and always leave max altitude set at the default, ~393 ft. If I take off from the top of my land and fly to 393 ft when I've over my house it's ~600 ft below. Am I in violation of FAA regulations or do they consider my altitude relative to my take off point? ... surely not sea level

I live and do most of my flying in the mountains and always leave max altitude set at the default, ~393 ft. If I take off from the top of my land and fly to 393 ft when I've over my house it's ~600 ft below. Am I in violation of FAA regulations or do they consider my altitude relative to my take off point? ... surely not sea level

Well, its a contentious point in the States, I am in Canada, here they say 90 meters above the ground max. So, if the ground rises, then the drone can too. Thats probably not what they meant, but that is how its stated, so I take it literally. You folks have some disagreements about AGL lmiits... I wont get into that, someone stateside will no doubt chime in here.

So if I fly downhill, then I have to lower my drone by metrics.

Roger is correct. And, a lot of times when you get that high you should watch your legal distance below clouds when flying.

Legal distance? So flying in fog is not only unwise, but illegal?
Fog is just unwise because it's made up of very tiny drops of water, and the Spark is not waterproof. The cloud ceiling that you must fly 400 feet below by 107 law can be found on your local airport's weather update online.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar