Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

An observation with using Android Samsung Tablet and Note 3 DJI with Go App 4

nutsnbolts

Join
Nov 25, 2017
So, I have been using an old Samsung Note 3 dedicate for flying my Spark and for the most part, it has worked wonderfully without a single App crash or issue.

I think based on DJI website, the Note 3 isn't really fully supported but can work based on what I'm seeing. I decided to go ahead and fire up my Samsung Tab Pro which is definitely not supported (per DJI site) but installed the DJI Go App 4 anyway to try it out.

Here is my findings:
- (without OTG) The Samsung Tab Pro does run the app and will connect to the spark for the most part. At some point it looses connection to the Spark. I can still "ATTI" to it but at some point, I'd have to restart the app and go through connection again. I'm not sure what is happening but it seems like after a few minutes, it will lose connection again.

-(with OTG) I figured the loss of connection is due to not be on OTG. Same results. I would lose connection. At this point, I'm not technically enough to understand what is going on. I'm assuming its just simply not compatible despite being able to install and run the app. On the other hand, what was surprising is that with OTG, the issues that supposedly plagues Android devices (missing metrics of height, gps, distance, etc.) works! I'm assuming it works on Tablets but doesn't work on Phones?? Because my Note 3 definitely has that issue. I didn't think there was a difference?

So what are everyone's thoughts surrounding the following?

1. What exactly was happening with the loss of connection?
2. OTG issue issue only with Phones versus Tablets? Anyone else experience this?

I'm no expert, that's for sure, but it sounds like a processing issue to me. It takes a ton to fly a drone these days, stable flight, corrections, sensors everywhere, live feed, self monitoring, and probably a ton more I don't even know about. But I do know that without a recently made processor, it could struggle and/or give up (like how old iPhones died at 20% because of battery decay not being able to keep up with the processing), and so my theory is it's just not fast enough to process everything continuously, so it quits after a while and GPS goes out the window, hopefully not literally :)

For the second, did you fly in the same area, same conditions? The only time I've experienced "the plague" is when there has been fog, or a lot of wind, or just things that aren't pristine and perfect flying conditions, pretty rarely too considering how much wind I've put this guy through...
Using a BLU Life One X2 to fly btw

For what it's worth. I know tablets and phones although both to be android I'm assuming is slightly different code wise. I tested this several times and my note 3 OTG definitely is not giving the distance, height, GPS, etc. while OTG with the tablet, it does. So weird. I know about the OTG issue but how works on a tablet but doesn't work on the phone doesn't makes sense.

I'm hoping the Android app will work with my LG Stylo 2...it doesn't look like it has bad specs. I did order a OTG cable, but not sure i'll be getting any use from it.

But as a likely alternative (as fully supported by DJI) I have a replacement battery pack coming for my Iphone 5s that has been sitting in my desk draw for 2 years. High likelihood that I will use the 5s for the primary Spark device as won't have to worry about all the extra 'junk' apps I have loaded, cell service (yes, I know NO GPS), and that DJI has confirmed its usage.

I'm hoping the Android app will work with my LG Stylo 2...it doesn't look like it has bad specs. I did order a OTG cable, but not sure i'll be getting any use from it.

But as a likely alternative (as fully supported by DJI) I have a replacement battery pack coming for my Iphone 5s that has been sitting in my desk draw for 2 years. High likelihood that I will use the 5s for the primary Spark device as won't have to worry about all the extra 'junk' apps I have loaded, cell service (yes, I know NO GPS), and that DJI has confirmed its usage.
I would check the compatibility DJI site. But OTG all the way for me.

Somebody knows if there is something for Windows tablets or heart something? It would be a nice addition as I can have my videos right away on the hard drive for further editing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502