Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Android App is horrible.

freedomsoftware

Join
Oct 29, 2017
Short story: I was flying the drone using the active tracking flight mode. Then the app froze and I gained controller back with the controller. As it was hovering there, the drone went into RTH for some reason as it said signal lost on my phone. I had a panic moment while i was attempting to repair the controller since it lost connection. Anyway, I managed to regain the signal and land it safely in the yard. This is second time that it has done this to me. First time it hit a tree and requires a ladder in the bed of a truck with a 20' pole saw to retrieve. This time it managed to dodge the branches, but I had no idea where it was going since the RTH point was the complete opposite way. I wouldn't consider my self a novice anymore when it comes to flying or understanding the spark.

Using any of the intelligent flight modes just dont work for me. Im using a factory reset Nexus 5x. Only apps installed are the dji go 4 app and all bloat apps are disabled. I guess I dont understand why the app for android sucks. It always has random freezes/ glitches making it hard to enjoy flying without worry.

Does anyone else encounter apps freezes and crashes?

DJI seems to put iOS above Android. I can't prove this with facts, just my opinion. iOS devices perform better with DJI products.

I have a Fairphone 2, Android 6. Nearly every time I start DJI Go for the first time, the phone crashes and restarts. After this restart DJI Go works, let's say, ok. Sometimes it crashes (app, not spark), sometimes the connection is weak (OTG never worked with this phone). Today I tried litchi, and... miracle! No crash, perfect connection! For flying with my 3rd battery I wanted to see, if it's because of the app or something else and started DJI Go and... Restart.

I'm new but I think there is a setting on active track where it updates home position every so far as you're moving

Android / IOS we all have are opinions. From across the forums i see many outdated tabs or phones being used and many will not meet system requirements that DJi only discloses fw revisions that needs to run the app. If your app crashes, its bottle-necking the hardware and will eventually freeze, pixelate, and crash. Its just like having a commodore pc and trying to play World of Warcraft with EVGA GTX Titan and eventually whats happens, system crash. So DJi needs to be more in depth with a full system requirements to run DJi Go 4 app smoothly cause in preparation and reality there sukin us in to pay them for a failed app.

Reactions: Droggy
DJI seems to put iOS above Android. I can't prove this with facts, just my opinion. iOS devices perform better with DJI products.

Because it’s easier. Android has to take so many different manufacturers into consideration, each with phones running different hardware, then you have manufacturers putting their own spin on android instead of just stock.

iOS is iOS, and you have maybe 6 models to worry about.

Just tried the dji app on my pixel. The app ran MUCH better, but couldn't keep a stable connection. I'll upload a video to show.

Edit: here's the problem I'm having with my pixel.

Edit 2: here's the kicker to the situation. I have no issues with the Nexus 5x except for the phone being slow/app crashing or being laggy at time.

Just tried the dji app on my pixel. The app ran MUCH better, but couldn't keep a stable connection. I'll upload a video to show.

Edit 2: here's the kicker to the situation. I have no issues with the Nexus 5x except for the phone being slow/app crashing or being laggy at time.

Its the Phone/Tab chip(s) that can handle so much to get a smooth coonection/performance. When i use my Nexus 7 2013 on my sons spark video gets a lil choppy for the Nvidia shield K1 - respectable performance on the Djo Go Fw - 4.1.18 When using Fw 4.1.15 Nexus 7 2013 gets a bit more choppy, Nvidia Shield K1 runs flawlessly on the spark and my Mavic. Other comparison i did from both tabs w/OTG random disconects w/OTG solid connection and w/using fw 4.1.15 get all features batt meter and sat info

Its the Phone/Tab chip(s) that can handle so much to get a smooth coonection/performance. When i use my Nexus 7 2013 on my sons spark video gets a lil choppy for the Nvidia shield K1 - respectable performance on the Djo Go Fw - 4.1.18 When using Fw 4.1.15 Nexus 7 2013 gets a bit more choppy, Nvidia Shield K1 runs flawlessly on the spark and my Mavic. Other comparison i did from both tabs w/OTG random disconects w/OTG solid connection and w/using fw 4.1.15 get all features batt meter and sat info
I also have a Nexus 7 I could try. It's the 2013 model as well. I will attempt to see if that works.

Reactions: Rjrolyn

I have a pixel and just upgraded to a pixel 2. I have used the DJI Go 4 app on both phone versions and using the new firmware .900 and the app .15 (not .18) I am having no issues with connectivity and using the OTG cable.

Reactions: Rjrolyn
I have a pixel and just upgraded to a pixel 2. I have used the DJI Go 4 app on both phone versions and using the new firmware .900 and the app .15 (not .18) I am having no issues with connectivity and using the OTG cable.
I'm not using otg just wifi. But in my video u can see the issue I'm having. Works fine with my Nexus 5x right after having the pixel hooked up

Reactions: sfessen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariadef