Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Android or ios?

Based on my experience, the current draw from the RC is tiny ... easily leaving you enough juice for 6-8 complete full-length flights. I currently have only two Spark batteries and after flying those to empty*, my controller hasn't dropped at all from the "full" charge indicator.

* Not empty enough to cause battery damage, though

Yes I'd agree with this, when I was testing android I took careful notice and while the charging from the device to the controller does have some effect unless you were running a device with a very small battery you're still going to be fine for 5 batteries of flight as long as everything is fully charged when you leave home.

Regards
Ari

My big beef with Android is that once the OTG cable is plugged in, the device begins to charge off of the controller's battery, diminishing it's available flight time.

The controller does charge the tablet, but this has almost no effect for a single day of use (using the Lenovo Tab3). I have five batteries for my Spark and if I fly them all the controller is still almost at full capacity at the end of the day. Usually I have to charge it again once every few weeks! So this is only a purely theoretical problem.

You can also avoid (or at least delay) charging by fully charge the Android device before use. This has never been any problem for me in practice so still no reason to spend lots of money here.

A quick report on my experience since going with the Ipad Mini 4 with cellular. I have not had so much as a glitch, as compared to the frequent app crashes I experienced with my Android devices. I do not have a cellular contract, and the GPS works fine. I purchased a blank Sim card on Ebay for a buck, so I don't have to look at a "no sim" warning. I really enjoy just inserting the tablet into the extended arms..... no holder to drag around.

Reactions: Spark 317
Same here with Android. I am using the DJI app on two devices (Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 with Android 7 and Lenovo Tab3 8 Plus with Android 6) and haven't had a single crash yet. Not even one. GPS works great, Maps works fine. Performance is great, full range via OTG and 2.4 GHz. I am using the Redmi with SIM card installed and the Lenovo without any - but I use to switch both devices into flight mode while flying my Spark to avoid any interferences (just to get sure).

By the way: DJI Mimo (Osmo Pocket) app also works fine on both devices. But this requires a $5 USB-C to MicroUSB adapter since the Osmo Pocket has USB-C only.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme