Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Another moron... Drone above aircraft on approach to Las Vegas

I totally agree. I’m a drone owner and I’m getting scared to fly in an airplane.

Update: Just saw this video and it looks fake to me, but still, there are many stupid things drone pilots do. I don't want to put my life in the hands of an idiot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anthony Geiger
They need to give this person the max penalty to make a example of this person. Wow

Update: there is an investigation as to whether the video is real. Not clear it is.

Would love to find out that it’s fake, but if it is, it doesn’t bode well for our mainstream news (MSN). Getting hard to believe ANY news on the Internet anymore.

That awkward moment when you know people who have legally gotten this shot but don't want to say anything fearing misunderstood backlash xD

That awkward moment when you know people who have legally gotten this shot but don't want to say anything fearing misunderstood backlash xD

Being new to the drone world, is there really a legal way to get a shot like this? A certain license or such? Just curious.

Being new to the drone world, is there really a legal way to get a shot like this? A certain license or such? Just curious.
NO! As a hobbyist drone operator you cannot operate in controlled airspace (exactly where this idiot was). FAR 101.41 and 43 clearly spells out the regulations for hobbyists.

I can only agree with you ... already in Italy the regulation is a real mess if then you put these idiots ends up that their fault we do not fly anymore

It would be akin to standing in the middle of a freeway over the crest of a hill with traffic moving at 75mph and trying to take photos. You're going to get hit. If an aircraft gets hit there could be a loss of life. If it is real footage and not faked in some way, the person did an incredibly dangerous thing and they must be incredibly stupid.

Reactions: les.warden
Ignore them xD The answer is Yes, yes you can get footage like this, legally, and without a permit. Basically it was friends of friends, setting up the shot where a plane came by for a low pass and the mavic got a nice above and sideways angle as it passed by. Didn't even disrupt the planes schedule, just it's altitude as it passed by a certain set of islands they were using to film on.
Was quite fun, safe, and made for some realistic shots they used later in editing their short film :) turned out pretty nice!

It was outside restricted airspace, they just asked the pilot to fly at 50-ish feet during a certain part of his flight to the Dry Tortuga's.

Ignore them xD The answer is Yes, yes you can get footage like this, legally, and without a permit. Basically it was friends of friends, setting up the shot where a plane came by for a low pass and the mavic got a nice above and sideways angle as it passed by. Didn't even disrupt the planes schedule, just it's altitude as it passed by a certain set of islands they were using to film on.
Was quite fun, safe, and made for some realistic shots they used later in editing their short film :) turned out pretty nice!

It was outside restricted airspace, they just asked the pilot to fly at 50-ish feet during a certain part of his flight to the Dry Tortuga's.
OK, let's get more specific... not in the USA as FAA law prohibits this. Only if it was planned and specially setup flight could this be achieved. Clearly, this video is not that.

Was a regular flight, nothing special done for the footage other than altitude change at that one spot for a few days in a row. Made sure to be to the side or above the airplane is all. Might've been closer to Cuba than Miami, but was still in the US.

Anyone else think this was a racing drone? The angles it goes at some parts and the dive when it showed regular speed seem to suggest it to me. Anyone else? Don't have much experience with them, just the occasional video I used to watch from FliteTest lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme