Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Anyone regret?

0ursisthefury

Join
Jun 1, 2017
Purchasing the alpine white base model? I had the lava red pre ordered for $700, and it bothered me for only $300 more I could get a mavic. In the end I cancelled the lava red and purchased the alpine white. But just finding out about charging the battery via spark is very slow bothers me. The controller doesn't really bother me because this is my first drone and I don't plan on flying it too far away from me. But now I am concerned with the speed, the controller has it flying at 31mph, and I am not sure how fast it flies with the phone. If anyone can tell me that I'd appreciate it.

Being that I own a fleet of DJI products, I can say that the Spark isn't too bad for what it is. Overpriced? Yes, they should have included a RC in the base package and dropped the priced to $399.

The manual says with obstacle avoidance on, your top speed will be limited to 6.7 mph. With OA turned off, the speed will be limited to 13.4 mph. Trying to fly the Spark with your phone, in sport mode, at 31 mph (OA turned off) would not be safe and is probably why DJI does not support this mode without the RC. Long term you will probably want the controller but you can always get that later after you get more comfortable with the drone.

As far as comparing it to the Mavic price, you should compare it to the Mavic fly more combo which is $1,299. I think the Spark is a great starter drone with a lot of technology packed in a small package that is easy to use. I am pretty sure you will be happy with it. Mine will be here next week and I am hoping my wife will catch the drone bug with the Spark.

Hearing some of this makes me feel better about my purchase. I don't know how this will read using it in NYC, but my thoughts going in was using it with a phone and gestures looks a lot less intimidating then using an RC. So hopefully it won't cause an issue. Also it's less of a financial investment for me. And when/if a spark 2 or mavic 2 comes along, I can accurately judge if I love this hobby. By then the Spark 2 will hopefully be foldable, have a 4K camera, and better battery life. On that I would go all in. Anyway my item has shipped and I should receive it by Wednesday.

The manual says with obstacle avoidance on, your top speed will be limited to 6.7 mph. With OA turned off, the speed will be limited to 13.4 mph. Trying to fly the Spark with your phone, in sport mode, at 31 mph (OA turned off) would not be safe and is probably why DJI does not support this mode without the RC. Long term you will probably want the controller but you can always get that later after you get more comfortable with the drone.

As far as comparing it to the Mavic price, you should compare it to the Mavic fly more combo which is $1,299. I think the Spark is a great starter drone with a lot of technology packed in a small package that is easy to use. I am pretty sure you will be happy with it. Mine will be here next week and I am hoping my wife will catch the drone bug with the Spark.

When I first flew my Spark on Thursday, my wife said to me, "Well, when you go flying your Mavic I can fly the Spark."

This from a woman who has shown ZERO interest in seeing me with the Mavic Pro that she bought me for my birthday / retirement gift.

The Spark is a lot of fun and a great beginners Drone.

No Regrets here.

Reactions: Previous Member
When I first flew my Spark on Thursday, my wife said to me, "Well, when you go flying your Mavic I can fly the Spark."

This from a woman who has shown ZERO interest in seeing me with the Mavic Pro that she bought me for my birthday / retirement gift.

The Spark is a lot of fun and a great beginners Drone.

No Regrets here.
WTF...I'd sell them all if my wife said that;)

Reactions: Nikon1
IMG_0164.jpg The only regrets I have is that I'm such a newbie with this amazing little thing. I have to remember how patient I have to be when I take someone fishing that hasn't fished before. I have fished since I was 8 and I'm 65, so it really comes without any effort or thought at this point. So, I will have to put in the time with this drone as well.

DJI has built in a lot of technology into this Spark that helps me as a newbie. Launched with the RC for the first time as the sun popped out, and though the little bird was being buffed with the breeze it didn't show up in the footage.

I have a tight landing zone behind my house and didn't want to land it on the picknic table I took off from (too close to the house). So, I just lowered it close to me and put it into Gesture mode and landed it in my hand.

I love my little Spark. Not sure why they didn't call it Sparky and give it some brown dots on the white.

Reactions: Hansd
No regrets here. I fly my P4P when I want to get serious. This thing's all fun, and I can pretty much take it anywhere. I've noticed that in every pic or video I'm in while using it, I'm smiling.

At first I wish I'd waited for a color, but the skins are now available so it's no big deal any more.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme