Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Anyone use NON OEM props?

Ron_Dog

Join
Mar 23, 2018
Loc
Illinois
Are the colored props any good for the Spark? I just received my spark (used) and it has Blue Props on it from Amazon. I've already ordered a extra set of DJI OEM props for it, as I'm not too sure if I can trust the aftermarket props?

Are the colored props any good for the Spark? I just received my spark (used) and it has Blue Props on it from Amazon. I've already ordered a extra set of DJI OEM props for it, as I'm not too sure if I can trust the aftermarket props?

DJI props are not so expensive that I would consider knock-offs. Peace of mind is worth it

There's all sorts of ways to customise your spark, but altering such an integral part of it doesn't seem worth it unless you really know what your doing.

Reactions: Aerial View
I bought some yellow props from a site on Taobao as I have the yellow Spark, and they are working well. They are exactly the same as the original and build quality is sound. I paid 32RMB for 2 props. If I have problems I will update here.

I have a Red Spark and bought some red props off of E-Bay for about 1/2 DJI price. They looked perfect, but I lost both control and power. When in sport it was like I was in beginner mode. I put the old props back on and everything was back to normal. I haven't used them since. I agree with Stefan.

Reactions: FastR
With how much money you spent for your drone are you willing to lose it for 2.00, if so you deserver to lose it

I lost no performance in normal or sport modes, as for reliability does anyone know of any horror stories to back up any reason not to use non OEM parts?

I lost no performance in normal or sport modes, as for reliability does anyone know of any horror stories to back up any reason not to use non OEM parts?

See Post #5 above.

See Post #5 above.
Hi DWA,
Yes, I read that, but have not had this experience with the yellow props I have. Ref:#4 the build of these props are really good. Being here in China of course I can find many accessories and differing quality, but on comparison with OEM and the props I bought I can see no difference and have had no different characteristics in flight. Yes, these are cheaper than original, but does not immediately mean they are bad. This is why I posted to give a balanced opinion. Have you tried non original props?

I am not asking you to 'risk' anything, but boldly announcing that you would not 'risk' it immediately puts fears in other people's minds. I see no fear and experience no issues.

Reactions: PAMaire
I found the after market props gave a more unstable flight in hovering as well as they are louder and made with a thin plastic so they break very easy. Getting ready to try carbon fiber next.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron_Dog
So long as the materials and construction techniques are the same - I wouldn't have a problem using aftermarket props... But just like propellers for real aircraft, small changes ( +/- an inch of length on the blade or a +/- a degree of twist on the pitch) can have large changes to motor speed and effective torque.
The engine on my plane requires a prop that is 72.5" to 74".. anything outside that range is bad. Extrapolate that 1.5" to the blade length on the 4.7" means a manufacturing tolerance of 0.1" could negatively impact blade performance. I'd be taking a set of verniers to any aftermarket prop and measuring them out to ensure they were identical in size to OEM props.

Reactions: Hansen
So long as the materials and construction techniques are the same - I wouldn't have a problem using aftermarket props...

How would one validate that the materials and construction techniques were the same? It seems to me that no one could just take the word of a manufacturer or even the anecdotal experience of a small group of users.

In my opinion, the price difference just isn't that great to chance non-OEM props.

How would one validate that the materials and construction techniques were the same? It seems to me that no one could just take the word of a manufacturer or even the anecdotal experience of a small group of users.

In my opinion, the price difference just isn't that great to chance non-OEM props.

Have friends in the plastic/composites industry take a look at it? (I actually do have friends who specialize in this..) In the end, we know that the DJI spark is an entry level 'selfie' drone with all its parts made in China. I wouldn't go out and declare the OEM Spark prop 4730 props to be a beautifully crafted high-end composite blade. I'm betting it's a pretty cheaply made blade to accommodate the cost bracket that the Spark sells in.
That said, I would just compare. Do the aftermarket props come with nasty injection molding marks? Uncut or unfinished sprues? What are the bushings for spinout mechanism like? How to the blades fold in and out. I neither have a Spark in my hands, nor aftermarket props but it would be a measurement-fest and a good inspection. My only experience lies in real life GA aircraft and real props. I have a couple sitting in my shop right now for my plane.

Have friends in the plastic/composites industry take a look at it? (I actually do have friends who specialize in this..) In the end, we know that the DJI spark is an entry level 'selfie' drone with all its parts made in China. I wouldn't go out and declare the OEM Spark prop 4730 props to be a beautifully crafted high-end composite blade. I'm betting it's a pretty cheaply made blade to accommodate the cost bracket that the Spark sells in.
That said, I would just compare. Do the aftermarket props come with nasty injection molding marks? Uncut or unfinished sprues? What are the bushings for spinout mechanism like? How to the blades fold in and out. I neither have a Spark in my hands, nor aftermarket props but it would be a measurement-fest and a good inspection. My only experience lies in real life GA aircraft and real props. I have a couple sitting in my shop right now for my plane.

Is your time, and the time of your friends, that cheap that you could really afford to take all of that effort to accomplish such a comparison, just to save a few bucks?

1 pair of Spark props from DJI is $9.

If that price is too much to pay for someone, perhaps another drone would suit their needs better.

Is your time, and the time of your friends, that cheap that you could really afford to take all of that effort to accomplish such a comparison, just to save a few bucks?

1 pair of Spark props from DJI is $9.

If that price is too much to pay for someone, perhaps another drone would suit their needs better.

A bit of a rhetorical question but I'll bite.
Is it too much for me to pay? No, of course not. The cost difference between an aftermarket $2 or whatever prop and a $9 prop is nil for anyone spending the money on a Spark. I don't think that is a fair argument. I think some people would want aftermarket props just for the aesthetics - not cost savings.

Remember - I don't own a drone yet and I don't have any dogs in this race. I'm just implying that the aftermarket props may or may not be terrible and that I wouldn't stick my head in sand and say 'Never!" to them. I would use empirical evidence, measurements, and testing to prove they were good.
When I put a new engine in my plane last year, I didn't leave the circuit for hours of flying because it's unproven. After a couple hours of lapping the runway you can finally branch out and go from there. I'd treat the drone in the same fashion. If everything was in spec, I'd start with simple low level and speed flights in the backyard on calm days. Prove their reliability.

The only valid argument one should have is that yeah, it should and would void the warranty from DJI.

Reactions: Chippy147
A bit of a rhetorical question but I'll bite.
Is it too much for me to pay? No, of course not. The cost difference between an aftermarket $2 or whatever prop and a $9 prop is nil for anyone spending the money on a Spark. I don't think that is a fair argument. I think some people would want aftermarket props just for the aesthetics - not cost savings.

Remember - I don't own a drone yet and I don't have any dogs in this race. I'm just implying that the aftermarket props may or may not be terrible and that I wouldn't stick my head in sand and say 'Never!" to them. I would use empirical evidence, measurements, and testing to prove they were good.
When I put a new engine in my plane last year, I didn't leave the circuit for hours of flying because it's unproven. After a couple hours of lapping the runway you can finally branch out and go from there. I'd treat the drone in the same fashion. If everything was in spec, I'd start with simple low level and speed flights in the backyard on calm days. Prove their reliability.

The only valid argument one should have is that yeah, it should and would void the warranty from DJI.

In that case, go for it.

I'm not sticking my head in the sand...if enhanced aesthetics is the only factor, it's still not worth the time, effort, research, etc., to me...and, I'll just stick with basic black. ;)

I am a mechanical inspector, I am in China right now and know the system here when it comes to manufacturing. I have compared the non and original parts closely, and I can see no difference at all. The probable fact is that the non oem parts are 99% made by the same company that make the props for DJI, sure the same molds and plastics, but just different colours. Of course, if you buy the oem parts made for direct supply to DJI you will pay the top dollar price. But look at how much money can be made by using the same molds to knock out many different colours on the side. Sometimes, Chinese quality is in fact good. Just look where the DJI range are made!!
I can't believe that the differences being found are so dramatic as to affect flying characteristics, these props are identical in every way. I think it is just that because they have not come in a DJI box, they cannot be good.This is why I asked for more evidence or disaster stories.

I took some photos of the oem and non oem I will post up as soon as I can.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar