Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Apologies if has been asked 1000 times, just me being sure---

MedicineMan4004

Join
Aug 23, 2017
Loc
upper east TN
I'm following these wonderful directions-

Power up Spark
* Plug OTG cable into Controller
* Open antennas
* Power up RC Controller and wait for connection to Spark (Controller green light)
* Plug OTG cable into Controller and lightning cable into iPhone (ignore not supported accessory message).
* Launch DJI Go 4 application
* Wait for connection message
* Select Go Fly

Now when connecting to a ipad mini-4 (WiFi only picked up today, no cellulars to be had) am I not initially connecting the AC to the RC via wifi THEN going into settings and shutting down WiFi forcing the communications over the cables ??

Or with the mini-4 will the connection automatically be made over the OTG and Lightening wires ??

The mini-4 is still in the box waiting on the better half to set up....she's used Apple products for years, me never. Told here to get Go4 on it and all will be good.

But did have a successful flight with the S8+ today :) But looking at mini-4's screen size in BestBuy and I know it will be more pleasant.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Robert

when connecting to a ipad mini-4 (WiFi only picked up today, no cellulars to be had) am I not initially connecting the AC to the RC via wifi THEN going into settings and shutting down WiFi forcing the communications over the cables ?
You don't need to connect the RC to the Wi-Fi on your iPad Mini if you're planning on using an OTG cable. You don't have to disable Wi-Fi on your iPad Mini either. Just plug in the OTG cable and use DJI GO like you normally do.

I am not sure in your list, item 2), it is also repeated at point 5). I think 2) is not needed.
  1. Power up Spark
  2. Plug OTG cable into Controller
  3. Open antennas
  4. Power up RC Controller and wait for connection to Spark (Controller green light)
  5. Plug OTG cable into Controller and lightning cable into iPhone (ignore not supported accessory message).
  6. Launch DJI Go 4 application
  7. Wait for connection message
  8. Select Go Fly
Also don't forget to turn-off bluetooth on the iPad.

After you take off, you have a few more checks to do. Take the AC up 30 feet and let it hover there for a minute or two. Check to see that it's got greater than 14 or 15 satellites, make sure the lower left position attitude arrow is pointing the right way and open the options send reaffirm your RTH is set higher that anything you are going to fly over. Hovering for a few min allows the AC to also record the ground picture for more Precision landing.

Dronason, Glen e thank you both for the tips. I'll add both to my growing list!

so Dronason are you saying with the mini-4 the OTG is not needed, me inferring that it is
possibly needed with my android device (S8+ for me, the better-half has Note 4)

You definitely need an OTG cable when using Apple devices.

I am not sure in your list, item 2), it is also repeated at point 5). I think 2) is not needed.
  1. Power up Spark
  2. Plug OTG cable into Controller
  3. Open antennas
  4. Power up RC Controller and wait for connection to Spark (Controller green light)
  5. Plug OTG cable into Controller and lightning cable into iPhone (ignore not supported accessory message).
  6. Launch DJI Go 4 application
  7. Wait for connection message
  8. Select Go Fly
Also don't forget to turn-off bluetooth on the iPad.
2 = controller connection, 5 = iPhone connection. Two different devices. I do not leave the OTG cable permanently connected to the controller, so it has to be connected each time. These steps work every time for me. Thanks.

Reactions: weiss.hank
Dronason, Glen e thank you both for the tips. I'll add both to my growing list!

so Dronason are you saying with the mini-4 the OTG is not needed, me inferring that it is
possibly needed with my android device (S8+ for me, the better-half has Note 4)
As msinger said, no you need it.
2 = controller connection, 5 = iPhone connection. Two different devices. I do not leave the OTG cable permanently connected to the controller, so it has to be connected each time. These steps work every time for me. Thanks.
Yes, it is clear but 2 times [2) and 5)] there are "Plug OTG cable into Controller". The first one is not needed IMO.

Thanks again to all. Today I'll give the mini-4 its first go with the Spark.
Plus I've found the pages at the DJI forum where they are slightly modifying the remote's arms to hold
the mini-4, another plus!

I can't get any connection to my iphone 6s with the OTG cable. Could I possibly have the wrong one? I bought it from DJI, I think it is for the mavic.

I can't get any connection to my iphone 6s with the OTG cable. Could I possibly have the wrong one? I bought it from DJI, I think it is for the mavic.
You mean this ONE (DJI Goggles - Micro USB OTG Cable) ?

Plus I've found the pages at the DJI forum where they are slightly modifying the remote's arms to holdthe mini-4
The iPad Mini 4 should just barely fit into the remote controller arms if it's not in a case.

FWIW, I have the DJI OTG cable and it works just fine for me. I suppose the OTG cable could be bad, but I suspect the issue is being caused by something else. Maybe a bad Lightning cable?

Which Spark firmware are you running?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar