Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

As a newbie will I regret not buying the controller?

Tim_Herts

Join
Nov 2, 2018
Hi everyone,

I have seen a Spark for sale for £350 new but it doesn't come with the controller.

I have also seen the Anafi for a similar price to a Spark and the controller option.

I'm a complete novice looking to record some days out with my 4 year old daughter.

Any thoughts or advice graciously received.

Last edited:
Better off getting a spark as a novice. It has VPS and GPS to keep it steady. Get a prop guard. Saved my spark from crashing so many times. The spark will stay afloat as long as the props are spinning.

Thanks. That is what I was worried about. Maybe the Anafi is a better bet?
I cannot tell about Anafi because I haven't test it.
But I know that I have five drones, and love my Spark. It is very capable, steady as a rock, and it's in the air in one minute.

Yes and No
yes for distance and height, and some argue control, but I'm not so sure on the latter. The Spark yaws poorly, but IMO may be a little better with a phone than with a controller. Other than yaw, control is greater with the controller. Also, I think Sport mode may only be available with the controller. I use Sport mode to quickly get to the shot, then switch back to GPS mode to refine the position of the Spark for the shot.
No for convenience. If you use your everyday phone (hopefully IOS), then you can just bring the Spark (no case, OTG, filter case, etc...) and have fast access to the air. So imagine your just walking along the path for shots, you see one, you will get the shot much more quickly not having to open the case, open the controller, insert the phone etc...
Watch this video beginning at 2:58

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have seen a Spark for sale for £350 new but it doesn't come with the controller.

I have also seen the Anafi for a similar price to a Spark and the controller option.

I'm a complete novice looking to record some days out with my 4 year old daughter.

Any thoughts or advice graciously received.
the holiday sales are coming, so there maybe a 350 Spark including controller

Me too a newbie.Got a spark few days back.After the first flight,realized that spark would be ideal with a controller.I mean its an addiction to fly long and out.So quickly ordered one controller and will be getting that soon alongside prop guards and buoyancy BALLS.

If your primary use is a "selfie drone" then the controller isn't necessary.
The added range the controller provides is nice. At first, a newbie may
find switching between controller and phone use a bit frustrating, but
otherwise having both will 'expand your horizons'.

Please keep in mind with the added range comes added responsibility. ;)

The controller is a must for new and not so new flyers alike.
You have so much more accurate control over your Spark and the phone is a natural extension.

Yep, you'll definitely want the remote controller. The Spark is not much fun to fly without it since it's tough to control using the virtual sticks on a mobile device. And you won't be able to fly in sport mode.

I cannot tell about Anafi because I haven't test it.
But I know that I have five drones, and love my Spark. It is very capable, steady as a rock, and it's in the air in one minute.
Tony Northrup does a review of the Anifi on YouTube.
I have a Spark with a remote and a Magic Air. I still fly my Spark all the time, it's just bomber. It's super reliable and takes great photos.
Whatever you get you'll definitely want the remote, really try to find a great deal on a Flymore package. You'll want the extra batteries and charger too.
You might find one for sale on one of the forums and these guys can tell you what to check for before you buy it

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregorioDy