Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

AutoPilot and the Spark

But really no way to check this crusial info?

If you change to map view there is an indication of the home point.

But I think it’s there even before takeoff

I really don’t know if there is a way to be sure of waypoint location.

Anyone?

Yes, you can use autopilot with your phone connected directly to the Spark´s wifi very much like you can use the DJI go app connected to the spark directly. Just be careful for the range of your Autoflight plan to be within the limited range of the phone-to-spark wifi range.

Are you sure?

Does the Autopilot dashboard offer virtual sticks on the touchscreen like the DJI app does in Wifi mode?

If not you have no way to use any controls set to joystick mode.

And you cannot switch to sports mode in case something goes wrong.

Are you sure?

Does the Autopilot dashboard offer virtual sticks on the touchscreen like the DJI app does in Wifi mode?

If not you have no way to use any controls set to joystick mode.

And you cannot switch to sports mode in case something goes wrong.

I tried. Did not work

If you change to map view there is an indication of the home point.

But I think it’s there even before takeoff

I really don’t know if there is a way to be sure of waypoint location.

Anyone?
Tried a waypoint mission today. And I saw a Home icon at starting point on the map.

A follow question: in GO 4 you can at any time during flight change the home point to where the RC is. Could that also be done in AP, and how?

Autopilot not engaging at all.

It shows video feed. But will not fly.
Agreed - AP does not seem to receive commands without the remote control connected to the Spark. Video/telemetry data is coming through, but no command seem to be going out to the aircraft.

I find the POI target making to much jerkyness in the footage. I did a shot with ZIP Line and waypoint, no wind, a lot of satelites and POI set as subject to follow. Any ideas? the little AC seem to struggle to yaw and move in a proper soft way. Or have the AC reached its limit to what can be donbe? Any ideas?

Tried a waypoint mission today. And I saw a Home icon at starting point on the map.

A follow question: in GO 4 you can at any time during flight change the home point to where the RC is. Could that also be done in AP, and how?

Yes you can change the home point on the fly but I can't tell you how right now. I have seen it....have not tried it.... but its there.

Agreed - AP does not seem to receive commands without the remote control connected to the Spark. Video/telemetry data is coming through, but no command seem to be going out to the aircraft.

In my opinion, it is not good to try to use AP unless you are also using the RC.

Did some missions this week.

First of all, you must be really confident in the tech to watch your bird flying away from you - by itself - at 20+ MPH..[emoji15]

The focus of the mission was the word “Universo”.

During the mission Spark lost connection. RTH with no problem.

IMG_3733.JPG

Did some missions this week.

First of all, you must be really confident in the tech to watch your bird flying away from you - by itself - at 20+ MPH..[emoji15]

Interesting mission. What is that structure? I don't like the speedy departure when you start a mission so when I plan a mission, I slow down the default accent speed instead of the "full power" that is the default. I also slow down the overall from 8+ to 4 or 5. It just makes me feel better.

Last edited:
Good synopsis Tom! I believe you had gotten AP after I had back in January. I got side tracked with vacation,life and my wife decided I needed company after I retired...so she got we/me a dog!!!! A puppy to be exact. And they require a LOT of attention! Anyway I plan on getting back out soon especially after reading your in depth report. Keep em coming!

Here is one difference. My Mini has no gps but the SE does. I can set up a mission on the MIni while at home and connected to the internet, then go out and fly it and it works near perfect for standard missions.... waypoints, orbits, zips, etc. BUT if I try to use it to do a "follow me" type mission, it is not very accurate. The camera may not point just right, and the AC may wander a small amount. Using the SE for the same "follow me" type mission results in a near perfect mission every time. The DJI program fails on a "follow me" mission if there is any obstruction between the target and the AC because the DJI program seems to rely heavily on the visual image of the target. (To be fair to DJI, I was using the "operator" as the target in the AP missions...so the AC was following the device, not an image.)

I'm brand new to this. Can l use my iPad mini with Wi-Fi only with autopilot and my Spark?

If by this question you mean that you have no RC controller, then I would not recommend using the mini with WiFi only and autopilot. It would work...yes. But what is the point. The range of Wifi only is so limited, the benefits of Autopilot are greatly diminished.

If you DO have the RC controller, then the mini works pretty good. I use mine that way. But there are certain limitations because most Mini 4's do not have built in gps or cell phone function. I often sit in my living room and plan a mission on my Mini...then later, I head out the door with the drone and my special Mini holder that mounts the mini on top of the RC controller and go fly the mission. It works pretty good. Since I have poor eyesight, I like having the larger screen.

That is exactly my set up. I have the DJI Spark with RC and an iPad mini. I'm interested in using the waypoints. What is the process to set up the waypoint route from my home on my mini and how do I get it onto the Spark if that is how it works? Thank you for your quick response and assistance.

Last edited:
To setup a waypoint mission using the Mini, you must be connected to the internet so that you Mini will show a map. You can do this without using the drone at all. You Mini can be connected to your home network or any other internet hot spot.

Select the waypoint mission and then scroll the map to the place that you want to fly. Do some experimenting close by at first until you get the hang of it. With the map on the screen, set up your waypoints and camera actions and save the mission giving it a name.

Then, take the Spark and the Mini and your RC controller out to that location and fly the mission.

One warning.... don't actually start the mission until you launch and fly to an open area nearby because as soon as you activate the mission, the spark will fly straight up to mission altitude at full power.... so if you are under a tree when you start the mission...you are doomed.

You do not "transfer the mission" to the Spark. You must fly using the RC and the Mini.

You do not "transfer the mission" to the Spark. You must fly using the RC and the Mini.

Thank you so much. I won't be able to try it until this weekend but I will start slow. I'm excited to try it as I did download the autopilot app and started experimenting here at home. I will tell you how my first attempt goes. Thanks again.

I think you will enjoy it. It is a strange feeling watching your spark fly off under automatic control. Let me remind to you program the custom button to abort mission.... that way you regain instant control without using sport mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers