Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Bad take off

Kevmiller1488

Join
May 8, 2019
Loc
Wisconsin
Wanted to try my new iPad mini with the Spark, but it’s extremely windy so I was just going to launch in my hotel room(I’m traveling for work). I’ve done this before several times and never had an issue. So I Turned on the controller, turned on the aircraft, started DJI GO4, and did the auto takeoff option. Instead of hovering at 4 feet, it kept right on going and slammed in to the ceiling. ??? I’m not experienced enough to know what went wrong. What would I look for in the flight logs?

Flying indoors is never a good idea, especially with automatic features. With no GPS reception, how is the Spark supposed to know at what altitude it is. Check page #48 on the Spark's manual. It says - Use auto takeoff only if the Aircraft Status indicators are blinking green (meaning P-mode).

Spark takeoff landing.JPG

The best way to take off indoors is to use the combination stick command on the RC and throttle up with extreme caution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevmiller1488
Sticks down and in diagonally. Gentle push forward on left stick! Indoors, you should always use prop guards. That said, I would avoid flying indoors completely until you are a really seasoned flyer. And we all leave that cover on once in a while. (smacks self in forehead!) Its good to have that pre-flight checklist handy to avoid such things!

Like northwood said...I always use manual start and takeoff indoors (and always with prop guards).

2 of the props were damaged. I have plenty of replacements.

Here's my spare prop storage, fashioned from a cassette case.

Screenshot_20180724-084309_Gallery.jpg

As Northwood Mediaworks and ol' Sparky has stated, prop guards are a must, when flying indoors and always a manual launch.

Make sure the room(s) are well lit and break up the floor pattern with towels or whatever when on the road in a hotel room.

Without a GPS lock, the Spark is limited to VPS Positioning (camera on the bottom) and if the Spark can't "see" the ground, it may rise up until it can.

This is why some pilots use a portable launch pad because it has a distinct pattern that the Spark can see when launching.

A hotel room floor, or any other, may look the same to the Spark because of the repetitive pattern in the carpet.

Just a thought.

I'm thinking the gimble protector covered the lower sensors. Those are the sensors that give the drone altitude control indoors not GPS. If they are even slightly covered the drone will shoot upward like a shot...don't ask how I know...Tape a small red ribbon to the protector..end of problem with that.
I fly indoors using my phone ..not my controller. I tell myself it's good practice using just the phone but it might not be too wise. I've never had an issue (from the Spark) with control indoors..not even just using hand gesture's. The prop protectors are a good idea but a pain in the a.. The spark fly's terrible outside with the protectors on if it's even slightly windy so leaving them on is not an option for me. I live in the desert and the wind is always blowing..:(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers