Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

battery storeage

Remark88

Join
Dec 14, 2018
I sustained an injury to my left hand that will take some healing and physical therapy. My spark is packed away in a backpack in my front bedroom. My understanding is that these are smart batteries and will drain their charge down to a safe level over time. Is there a fire hazard here? How long can they be stored? If they drain completely, will they take a charge again at all?

If you actually let batteries drain to zero they will “brick” and fail to ever charge again. Not sure how long that would take but it is completely avoidable charging every 90 days. You can set alarm on calendar app of your phone.

One of the smart features of the Spark battery is gradual discharge starting around day 6 of dormancy.This minimize the degradation of lithium batteries that occurs when maintained constantly near 100%.

Reactions: MVGsparked
I hardly let a week go by without flying my spark at least once. Every time I get ready to fly, I fully recharge my battery regardless of whether it be at 90% or 10%. Is this a good or bad practice?

I hardly let a week go by without flying my spark at least once. Every time I get ready to fly, I fully recharge my battery regardless of whether it be at 90% or 10%. Is this a good or bad practice?

Charging to 100% before you fly is perfectly fine (even one a week). That’s exactly what I’ve always done.

The ideal range for maximizing longevity and minimizing degradation for most lithium batteries is 30-70%. But that would obviously impact flight time adversely. The “harm” by charging to 100% just before flight is minimal so that’s the best (and most common) practice.

The issue would be storing that battery at 100% long term. But as stated above DJI prevents that with smart battery technology.

Reactions: windryder

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef