Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Best Way to Connect to RC - DJI Answered Me

Jim Wight

Join
Aug 15, 2017
What is the best way to connect my iPad Pro to the RC? I am using a direct cable now rather than Wifi.

JimWight

Dear Jim,

Thank you for getting back to us.

For Spark, it can be connected via cord or via wi fi.

For me, it is best to connect via cord since the connection would be stable, compared to a wifi since there are interference that might encounter.

Depending on the location.

Hope this will help.

Best Regards,
Dante
DJI Technical Support

Dear james,

Thank you for your response, it really helps me to figured out your concern. In regards to that, what can I suggest based on our experience, it is convenient connecting your mobile device using a micro USB cable.Why? it is technically because you saved battery consumption on using a Wi-Fi and it is more convenient if you want to connect to a local internet, you can still use your Wi-Fi for a live stream rather than mobile data.

Thank you for choosing DJI.

If you have other concerns don't hesitate to contact us.

Best Regards,
Ted
DJI SUPPORT

Last edited:
I use the wifi. I tried the OTG cable method once and didn't like it. I see many posts here also that say that not all features are available through cable connection. DJI is saying that the mini usb port is intended for connection to goggles, which seems to make sense as to why some features are not going through it. Try wifi connection and see if that makes a difference.

It depend also on the place you mainly fly.
If wifi is highly crowded in your flight area, cable could be an advantage at the loss of some functions (not too critical, it is still usable).
Personally I prefer to use wifi connection so I will not cry at time DJI will block the OTG cable for GO4 app. Using Windsurfers antenna reflectors help me to get good range (CE mode) and attenuate the few Wifi that could be around the usual place I flight. I have always with me some OTG cable, just in case.
With wifi, the best is to be flexible as conditions can change a lot from place to place and over time.

What functions are lost using a otg cable and ipad ?
Limitations:
  • Cannot change wifi band. In IOS, on android it don't seems correct (looks like PH3).
  • No signal level indication.
  • Loss of custom buttons setup (for ios devices only).
  • Not officially supported by dji, so it could be removed.
  • Some says that RC cannot be calibrated ? (not checked)
  • RTH maximum altitude is 50m (not checked)
  • Shows the Joystick/GUI button at bottom left (not checked)
For me having each time to reset the custom buttons and not handling frequency band made me using OTG cable only at minimum.

Interesting that DJI support tells to use OTG now. I do not have an OTG cable yet but am ordering one. For the first time, last weekend flying my Spark on the beach in Ocean City MD, I experienced numerous disconnects which I can only assume is attributed to dense radio frequencies from all of the condos. Interestingly also for the first time Go4 advised me to move away from or disable BT. I have worn a BT watch for nearly all of my time flying the Spark and have never seen that warning before. It seems there must be value in the wired connection of the RC and OSD when there is enough radio noise.

OTG will remove one short distance wifi connection at some functionalities cost.
Wifi is all matter of when and where you fly, so there is not really one golden rule to apply always.

I get better image and less latency via the OTG cable, I could notice the difference quite huge in my area

With android, if you don't have a high-end phone, yes it could help. Minimizing running apps and background operations could also help. Best is dedicated device with minimum apps installed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502